The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Lotus Evora 400, manual
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my '17 400 from the dealer for some minor warranty service yesterday and since they're 1 1/2 hours away and I'm thinking about GT's I HAD to test drive one although I'm very happy with my 400. I also had not been in a carbon pack so I wanted to check that out.
It was cool that they let me take it without a salesman! One silver lining to Covid! Low pressure, thank you Galpin Motors.
Here we go...just my opinions
Exterior styling - I'm not crazy about the wheel vents on the hood of the GT but overall win for GT
Carbon pack - After having a Cayman that you couldn't see the engine I really appreciate my 400's glass but that carbon was really exotic looking. I could see out the back well enough. Carbon win (except $)
Interior - my 400 all leather red/black is more classic and so beautiful. I would never go all black interior but with stripes or color accents it's quite nice. Wasn't a fan of so much alcantara at first but it does add to the exotic look.
Seats-As noted by others, GT seats sit higher. At 5'-7" both are ok for me but a taller person may prefer the 400 and for me the 400's are more comfortable.
Infotainment-I didn't turn it on.
Shifter- 400 is great, the GT did feel even better.
Clutch-GT felt heavier but still ok.
Ride/handling-same.
Power-same as far as I could tell on city streets.
Price as tested was $117,500 and since it was a '21 no loyalty discount so at 60-65% more than I paid for my car, I can't justify it, but if I can pick one up used at a good price I will. The two recent '20 carbons that sold in low $90's are in the neighborhood of what I'll be watching for. If the Emira is a hit but not a 2+2 that works for me because I won't get one but other GT owners will: )
Any GT owners with carbon looking to unload or trade in PM me please!

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Lotus Evora GT - Vivid Green
184 Posts
... the vents on top of fender and the colored trim bezels around shifter etc. seem very cartoonish to me so I vote 400 in those areas.
Agree on the fender vents. The colored trim bezels around the shifter are optional. My GT does not have that option so the bezels are flat black, and thus not noticeable. Which I like

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
Never realized the GT had front fender vents before, but now that I see them I like them. More race car design heritage. That is, assuming they're functional.

Wonder if or how much they contribute to performance/front end stability at high speed...or if there's any noticeable noise from the airflow.

Reactions: Midenginer

·
Registered
2020 Evora GT, Metallic Racing Green
114 Posts
They are definitely functional. Supposedly they, along with the rear bumper vents, increase downforce at high speeds. The car does feel planted at high speeds, though I can't compare to a 400. What they certainly do, especially combined with the sticky Cup 2s, is spray up sand, dirt, gravel etc.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Seats-As noted by others, GT seats sit higher. At 5'-7" both are ok for me but a taller person may prefer the 400 and for me the 400's are more comfortable.
I was in the same GT vs 400 boat. At the time I thought that the s2 cars were better than the s1 in every respect. Now, that I have found out there is as much give (poor tire/wheel selection, poor brake pads, rotors & camber options) than, get (shifter & power!); the seats in the 400 were the biggest let down. I am barely getting used to the higher seating position on the 400 vs being coddled by the amazing Recaros with an arm rest on the s1s. I cannot imagine setting even 1mm higher. Dodged a bullet re: seats .. I would have been so annoyed with the GT seats.

Infotainment-I didn't turn it on.
Love it! Right answer for every lotus review!

·
Registered
173 Posts
The much larger door sill and lack of dead pedal/foot space space on the s1 bothers me a LOT more then the higher seats in my GT, which is partially why i went with a GT

hopefully one of these days someone will have a mod available to lower the seats somehow, it is my biggest complaint with the car.

if I had a 400, totally agree not worth the “upgrade” cost for a GT. But since this was my first lotus for me it was worth the extra money for the GT. I prefer the rear bumper cover on the GT as well as the A panels.... and I also prefer the front wheel arch vents.

·
Registered
567 Posts
The much larger door sill and lack of dead pedal/foot space space on the s1 bothers me a LOT more then the higher seats in my GT, which is partially why i went with a GT

hopefully one of these days someone will have a mod available to lower the seats somehow, it is my biggest complaint with the car.

if I had a 400, totally agree not worth the “upgrade” cost for a GT. But since this was my first lotus for me it was worth the extra money for the GT. I prefer the rear bumper cover on the GT as well as the A panels.... and I also prefer the front wheel arch vents.
Unfortunately nothing can be done about the seats. They are already as low as they can go. The shell is already touching the carpet!

·
Registered
446 Posts
I am tiny and would love the jacked up seat in the GT. If anyone with a GT wants to trade seats from my 400, let me know, I'd be all over it. PM me for info and pics!

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
They are definitely functional. Supposedly they, along with the rear bumper vents, increase downforce at high speeds. The car does feel planted at high speeds, though I can't compare to a 400. What they certainly do, especially combined with the sticky Cup 2s, is spray up sand, dirt, gravel etc.
Hmmm, that's an interesting trade-off. Guess I won't be cutting vents in my 2003 Esprit fenders. Fortunately she feels very stable at high speed. 😃

·
Registered
13 Posts
If the GT's seats are already touching the carpet, how are the 400's lower?
Thinner seat cushion? Different floor pan?

I for one could use an extra 1", so I'm not hunched trying to get a better sight line out the windshield.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If the GT's seats are already touching the carpet, how are the 400's lower?
Thinner seat cushion? Different floor pan?

I for one could use an extra 1", so I'm not hunched trying to get a better sight line out e
windshield.
I think both are made by Sparco but they're a different model I believe.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Spray up to the windshield?

·
Registered
23 Posts
How many miles does that car have on it?

I felt the GT suspension to be slightly firmer than the 400. I did a drive the 2 cars about 2 weeks apart though.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How many miles does that car have on it?

I felt the GT suspension to be slightly firmer than the 400. I did a drive the 2 cars about 2 weeks apart though.
My 400 5,700 , the GT was brand new but you could be right. Now that you mention I didn't take them on the same route, was kinda pressed for time. Took the GT mostly on streets and my car was freeway mostly.

·
Registered
511 Posts
My 400 5,700 , the GT was brand new but you could be right. Now that you mention I didn't take them on the same route, was kinda pressed for time. Took the GT mostly on streets and my car was freeway mostly.
Note all Midenginer comments: styling, vents,etc individual preference. After 7000 miles on previous 400 and 450 miles on current 21GT, ride firmer on GT, easily acceptable; seat height difference unnoticeable; clutch initiallly felt +/-sl. heavier, now same; steering +/- sl. heavier; manual shifting initially "quieter" and more notched, now very similar if not same; low speed/rpm gear/clutch rattle much less in GT. Perhaps some differences due to "running in" and would not surprise me to see most subtle differences equilibrate with more mileage? Just my 2 cents (3, Canadian......)

·
Premium Member
7,174 Posts
The 3 turnoffs I have seen with the S2 are on the interior. The Recaros are just superior seats and for long trips, the armrest was a MAJOR deal breaker. I still think the interior esthetic of my 2011 dash blows the flat plane of the 4--/GT away. Hopefully Emira gets creative again.
The GT exterior improved on the weaknesses of the 400 design enough to let me give it the overall win.

I wonder if the undertray had to be thicker due to the lowering of the door sills?

The rear louvers should be standard as they are a MAJOR influence on engine bay cooling. That is a mandatory for me. The glass would be punchewd out in 24hrs after the order went into HK fever

This discussion is just like Esprit world. Early days v 1st redesign in late 80's to the S4, to the V8 eras. Everyone had their favorite. I always thought the 93.5 cars were the best with the updated interior but still the tweeked design. The S4 and S4S got a little wing crazy IMHO.

Reactions: Midenginer

·
Registered
446 Posts
The 3 turnoffs I have seen with the S2 are on the interior. The Recaros are just superior seats and for long trips, the armrest was a MAJOR deal breaker. I still think the interior esthetic of my 2011 dash blows the flat plane of the 4--/GT away. Hopefully Emira gets creative again.
The GT exterior improved on the weaknesses of the 400 design enough to let me give it the overall win.

I wonder if the undertray had to be thicker due to the lowering of the door sills?

The rear louvers should be standard as they are a MAJOR influence on engine bay cooling. That is a mandatory for me. The glass would be punchewd out in 24hrs after the order went into HK fever

This discussion is just like Esprit world. Early days v 1st redesign in late 80's to the S4, to the V8 eras. Everyone had their favorite. I always thought the 93.5 cars were the best with the updated interior but still the tweeked design. The S4 and S4S got a little wing crazy IMHO.
We have had this discussion before..... and not sure why you are jumping on a 400 vs GT thread to talk about your 10 year old car.

Agree on interior and recaros. You are completely glossing over the bad brakes, shifter slop etc. of the NA/S cars not to mention the significant upgrade in power un the 400+ cars. I know you have fixed those in your car from a decade ago, but the 400/GT are vastly superior mechanically to the older cars apples to apples.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts