The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
'94 S4
238 Posts
That's it.
In their online ad for the car, they are using Copart's pics taken when it was on Copart's lot. They are also selling a yellow 1980 Esprit and its pics are also from the Copart ad from when it was on their lot. I don't know anything about that outfit; think I don't want to.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I spoke with the guy and he was completely honest about the car. He said a fuel line came off causing a small engine fire, no serious damage to the fiberglass but it would take a couple of grand to put it right. He said that he was cleaning up the engine compartment and taking the car to his garage to get it running.

The price is negotiable, as he needed to put up an asking price for the web site ad. He told me it looked like it was used as a weekend car and there was no service history.

I asked him because of the fire damage if it had a clear or salvaged title and he said it would be sold with a clean clear title. Seemed like a nice guy, not trying to hide or cover up anything.

·
'94 S4
238 Posts
When the car was on auction at Copart, Copart listed it as having a salvage title. How "nice" the guy is whoever he is is not material.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
When the car was on auction at Copart, Copart listed it as having a salvage title. How "nice" the guy is whoever he is is not material.
I understand what your saying, however buying a used or even a new car is a crap shoot anyway you look at it. Since I know the story behind the car I just wanted to see if he would tell the truth about it and he did. He could have tried to snowball me and left out the fire details unless that information was posted on Carfax then he would have to owe up to it. I do not have access to Carfax so I cannot check out those details. The reason I made the call was because I wanted to see if he would tell me what I already knew.

What I would like to know is if the car was issued a salvage title how he told me it would be issued a 'clean title'. I have heard some states can do that, again which one's and how I do not know. :confused:

·
'94 S4
238 Posts
What I would like to know is if the car was issued a salvage title how he told me it would be issued a 'clean title'. I have heard some states can do that, again which one's and how I do not know. :confused:
If I remember, at the Copart site there is a link for information about title branding and a caveat that it varies state to state. Crap shoot indeed but at some places the dice are.... well dicey.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I paid $13,000.00 for it. $15K is way too much. Especially after the fire. And it'll take more than a couple of grand to put it right. Even if you do it yourself. All wiring has to be replaced. Needs new motor mounts. All belts, hoses, and ANYTHING rubber, plastic, polyester, etc... will need to be replaced. Carbs must be re-built. Engine gaskets will need replacing. Engine bay needs re-painting. Louvers need re-painting. Needs a new rear bumper and L/H tail light lens. When it caught fire, it could've stood to have a major engine tune-up and the suspension could've used re-bushing. Tyres are well over ten years old. It's missing the jack and tool kit. Compression was a little low on all four cylinders. It was pretty much just a weekend driver for me. Oh, and Todd and I are not 100% sure the mileage on the odometer is correct. At best, it's a project car. BTW, I had GTM look it over for me after the fire. They concur.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had a clear title. I did replace the Plugs, Ignition Wires, Ignition Coil, Rotor, Dist. Cap, Timing Belt, all other Belts, Vacuum Lines, Thermostat, Air, Fuel, and Oil Filters, Fuel Pump; I Re-built the Carbs and installed a period correct Radio.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts