The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will the car take an 89 esprit motor and tranny as replacement?

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
the 89 Esprit engine ran with the GMP4 electronic fuel injection. The 89 Transmission is a Renault UN1, and is very different than the Citroen transmission that your car used.

Why don't you rebuild your engine? what happened to it? or how badly was it damaged?

·
Registered
744 Posts
i think the difference between tranny is just the spline that goes to the pilot bearing???
the citroen is smaller and the un1 bigger diameter??
i'm not too sure

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
i think the difference between tranny is just the spline that goes to the pilot bearing???
the citroen is smaller and the un1 bigger diameter??
i'm not too sure
And the rear driveshafts, hubs, brakes, linkages, shifter, suspension etc...

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
would probably work out if you had the whole 89 as a donor car for all the other bits and pieces you need, but I bet it would be surprising how many little and not so little things you would need to change.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Motor is still in car.
Long story short.... In 90 degree heat, what should have taken 1.5 minutes, took 2.5 hours, Jersey barriers both sides. In hindsight id do a lot different, yes. Highest temp reached was between 300-320 degrees. I turned off car, after adding water and getting fresh back road air, temp was 240ish....
So ive been told upper end, lower end rebuild and pray for the crankshaft.
I can buy a complete 89 turbo and motor and tranny. Was just going to swap in new motor and turbo.
I need to know if my Citroen gearbox will bolt to the 89 motor.
This motor cooking happened in May 2001...... I need to get it running again.
Want to do it with Lotus running gear......

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes I know im an idiot..... And crazy.... Bad combo trust me....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And would it be easier to keep my injection and just swap in the motor and turbo? Or should I put the motor, turbo and electrical fuel injection in....?
I have two Jensen-Healeys with the 2.0 liter Lotus TC motors..... Originally was thinking of using one until I can rebuild my motor.
The motor/tranny combo has everything but AC compressor..... Has computer.

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
If you have some sort of exclusive super duper deal to get your hands on an 89 motor and gearbox at way below market, buy them, separate them, and sell each on eBay to the highest bidders for a profit, then use the money to fund buying the correct, used 87 engine you need.

Lotus has a nasty habit of changing a lot of little things that will make it difficult for you to pull off this transplant from a non-compatible donor.

This car has an 84 engine in it that may work. If the engine is sound, you could even make a profit parting the car out while you're at it:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lotus-Esprit-dont-know-?cmd=ViewItem&_trkparms=aid=111000&algo=REC.CURRENT&ao=1&asc=14&meid=892603371682057757&pid=100015&prg=1017&rk=1&&_trksid=p5197.m1992&item=230828237903

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is $2500 for motor and tranny good deal?
I know motor with turbo is too powerful for Citroen gearbox.

·
Registered
159 Posts
After you get a replacement motor, be sure and review the entire cooling system. Something was wrong there for it to overheat. I use to have an 87 hci, and I drove it in stop-and-go traffic many summers in the Louisiana heat, and it never overheated. I heard the earlier G-type esprits (1980?) would overheat, but a properly filled and operating 1987 model should not overheat.

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Motor is still in car.
Long story short.... In 90 degree heat, what should have taken 1.5 minutes, took 2.5 hours, Jersey barriers both sides. In hindsight id do a lot different, yes. Highest temp reached was between 300-320 degrees. I turned off car, after adding water and getting fresh back road air, temp was 240ish....
So ive been told upper end, lower end rebuild and pray for the crankshaft.
I can buy a complete 89 turbo and motor and tranny. Was just going to swap in new motor and turbo.
I need to know if my Citroen gearbox will bolt to the 89 motor.
This motor cooking happened in May 2001...... I need to get it running again.
Want to do it with Lotus running gear......
It even physically possible to get the water temp to 100 deg over water's boiling point even with antifreeze and a pressurized system of only 15psi? Just curious.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Understand about cooling system. But realize. I travelled 1.5-2 miles in 2.5 hours time.
Temp needle was pegged....... 140 celsius....... guess I exagerated temp. Probably peaked at 285-290...
Also, when I went to check oil when I got home, the oil cap slid across the top of the motor, I had melted the oil cap threads into the motor.
Remember too, I turned key to stop motor, it didnt blow up on the road. Just was a teensy bit warm.
Im most concerned whether this motor will work.....
Motor tranny turbo combo im buying is rated around 350HP
I know Citroen box will not take that...
I want to use only the block and heads from the new purchase. Keep my injection, intake manifold, exhaust manifold, turbo and tranny.
can someone please tell me if im nuts or if this might work?
I need to act on the motor.
If not car will just wait for a rebuild.
Been 11yrs since this car has driven....... Need to figure it out. It deserves an antique birthday gift.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Most importantly, my dog, James Bond, has never ridden in it.... He travelled far in my former Elise.... But James deserves to ride in a bond car(previous owner attached turbo esprit stripes to side, now it looks like for your eyes only ski car.....Jupiter red/biscuit leather.

·
Registered
576 Posts
05 ELISE/87 TURBO Is $2500 for motor and tranny good deal?
I know motor with turbo is too powerful for Citroen gearbox.

Yes that is a good deal if in working condition.

"Motor tranny turbo combo im buying is rated around 350HP"

Only if heavily modded. SE motor is only rated at about 280hp

But, I agree that tranny won't work without major mods, if that

Randy

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
An S4s engine and gearbox just went for about $8k on eBay. Not the exact same, but a recent reference point at least.

1998 Lotus Esprit V8

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
If you got the motor hot enough to melt the oil cap the motor is toasted. While you may be able to salvage a lot of the "hard parts", you have to figure every seal and gasket is gone at the very least. Even so you are probably better off trying to get the motor rebuilt or getting another motor rather than trying to put a different kind of motor or transmission in. Some owners of Elises have done a swap with Honda motors but it is not cheap. It is a Toyota motor but heavily modified by Lotus. First step would be to pull the head and see how bad it looks inside and if the head is warped. After all of this work you still need to find and fix the reason it overheated too. BTW, after 11 years, figure the tires and battery also have to be replaced. It could be your best way out is to just sell it the way it is. To get it running you will have to spend a lot of money.
David Teitelbaum

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
After 11 years of sitting, there probably won't be much that doesn't need to be touched. The brakes and A/C are probably in need of rebuilds as well.

Curious, what's the "need" to get it running again? If you have some sentimental value for the car, selling it as a parts/project car might not be an option for you.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I appreciate everyones concerns for the cooling system...
I dont think I should have let it basically idle in hot parking lit traffic.
I travelled 1.5 miles in 2.5 hours......
I also understand that everything else on the car will need to be looked at.
Shop I have chosen is solid resto shop.
Just havent received answer as to doability of this project.....
this is my golden question........
Can I take the intake and exhaust manifolds, turbo, tranny and mechanical fuel injection from my 87 and use the block and head from this SE motor.
Yes has been heavily reworked. yes, as im buying it, it sits with approx 350HP
yes I know my gearbox wont take much more than my motor....least not reliably.
So is this a possible operation......? Wicked difficult or not so bad?
Appreciate it........ Thanks.
And yes, whether this 87 ever turns another mile on its own or not, im dying as the owner
And may be buried in it.....lol

1 - 20 of 54 Posts