The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone
Got a good deal on the MX2E so I bought one.
I have installed it and taken the car out for a spin.
I didn't program the gears correctly, but I will redo it tomorrow after reading the forum.
My biggest problem right now is there is no RPM or Speed readout.
The digital circular tach works though as well as all the other lights/signals/blinkers/tell tales/shift lights.
I have connected Race Studio 3 to the digital cluster and poked around but didn't really get anywhere.
Any thoughts?

I was also told intake temperature can be displayed without any extra sensors. Is this true?
I purchased the data hub and channel expansion as well as AiM sensors for wireless rear view camera, oil temp, oil pressure, and boost pressure.

Thanks much guys
Louis

·
Registered
898 Posts
Being an '07 you must have the adapter cable. Did you set the model year correctly? There are two places to set it: in the dash preferences (Preferences / Vehicle / Model), and in Race Studio 3 (when you create a new configuration). I suspect that the setting in RS3 overwrites the setting in the dash when you upload a configuration from RS3 to the dash, but I don't know for certain; just make sure it's set properly in both places.

According to Appendix 1 "ECU channels logged by MX2E" in the MX2E User Guide (available at the AiM website), IAT is not included in the list of ECU channels for the 2004-2007 model years, so the answer is no, you cannot display intake air temperature without adding a sensor. Your channel expansion unit can take a 4th sensor, so you have room for it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Being an '07 you must have the adapter cable. Did you set the model year correctly? There are two places to set it: in the dash preferences (Preferences / Vehicle / Model), and in Race Studio 3 (when you create a new configuration). I suspect that the setting in RS3 overwrites the setting in the dash when you upload a configuration from RS3 to the dash, but I don't know for certain; just make sure it's set properly in both places.

According to Appendix 1 "ECU channels logged by MX2E" in the MX2E User Guide (available at the AiM website), IAT is not included in the list of ECU channels for the 2004-2007 model years, so the answer is no, you cannot display intake air temperature without adding a sensor. Your channel expansion unit can take a 4th sensor, so you have room for it.
Yes I made sure I imputed 2004-2007 and I bought the adapter cable from Greg's Race Parts.
I set both RS3 and the dash for the same years.
I am updating MX2E Software from version 02.34.07 to 02.34.36 and RS3 from 3.32.14 to 3.34.02
I hope this will help.
I have a bunch of sensors and channel expansion coming in today so I figure I will try to do more setup before I call AiM.

You wouldn't happen to know where to wire up those tiny red and black wires for backup camera power would you? what kind of connector would you use?

thank you for the reply
Fat Lou

·
Registered
898 Posts
I have the AiM rear view camera with the binder cable, so I didn’t need to deal with power and ground (it gets power from the dash). Where best to get 12v switched power and chassis ground depends on where you need it (behind the boot, engine compartment, or behind the dash).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok guys i updated all the software and now i have speed and rpms. phew. i was under the mistaken assumption that since i got the lotus branded AiM MX2E everything would be fine...wrong! I have also synced the gears.

I will post this in a new post but here are my following observations:

1. does the MX2E make the headlights on all the time no matter what regardless if headlight button is on or not?
2. does the MX2E turn climate control backlight on all the time?
3. when I am coasting to a stop in neutral the gear indicator says it is still in whatever gear I was in. So the shift lever is in neutral and the indicator still says 6th for example. is there any way to remedy this?
4. there is no reverse indicator when the car is in reverse, correct?
5. do you know if the cluster saves all the settings if you have to remove it for some reason?

Now I am going to work on the rear view camera. Instruction says to activate it you push the illumination dimmer/trip reset button on the steering column next to the ignition tumbler. There was a rear view camera installed but it does not look like it was ever hooked up to a monitor. I am going to try out the wireless AiM rear view camera. Wish me luck.

Next will be adding the following sensors: oil temp, oil press, intake temp, boost pressure.

I will keep you guys posted.

fat lou

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
Ok guys i updated all the software and now i have speed and rpms. phew. i was under the mistaken assumption that since i got the lotus branded AiM MX2E everything would be fine...wrong! I have also synced the gears.

1. does the MX2E make the headlights on all the time no matter what regardless if headlight button is on or not?
3. when I am coasting to a stop in neutral the gear indicator says it is still in whatever gear I was in. So the shift lever is in neutral and the indicator still says 6th for example. is there any way to remedy this?
5. do you know if the cluster saves all the settings if you have to remove it for some reason?

Now I am going to work on the rear view camera. Instruction says to activate it you push the illumination dimmer/trip reset button on the steering column next to the ignition tumbler. There was a rear view camera installed but it does not look like it was ever hooked up to a monitor. I am going to try out the wireless AiM rear view camera. Wish me luck.

Next will be adding the following sensors: oil temp, oil press, intake temp, boost pressure.

fat lou
Let us know how you make out with your sensors, I want to do the same when I get finished with all the other updates I have planned for the winter. 👍

·
Registered
898 Posts

fat lou
I’m glad the software update fixed your main issues. Regarding your questions:

1. Not on my car (‘08 Exige S240)

2. I haven’t noticed (too dim to notice in daylight)

3. Since gear selection isn’t available from the ecu, the dash can only use the ratio of speed to rpm to determine the current gear. I always downshift while slowing (I mostly just drive on the track, but I do same on the street out of habit), so the display tracks my gear, but changes to N when I come to a stop.

4. Correct, no reverse indication

5. I suspect so, because I use my battery shut-off switch regularly and it remembers my settings.

HTH, -Ed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts