The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Winter is coming. Gotta put the car away sometime around Thanksgiving. This sucks.
There. Got it out of my system, and I do have a new big shop to play in over the winter. Still, a poor substitute for stick time. (Or wheel time- depends on whether you see yourself as driving or flying the car.)

·
V EQLS IR
330 Posts
i'm actually excited, finally means i can focus on some of my other projects!

plus i just keep in mind how great it will be to pull it out in spring - like they say, you can't have steak every night!

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
winter does suck for us living in the northern states...

storing the car & not being able to drive it for like 5 months sucks

everything sucks, its all bullsh!t

·
V EQLS IR
330 Posts
well there you go - definitely some yin and yang responses rotfl

maybe we should all get cheapie lotuses with cosmetic damage to beat up in the snow while the 'good' ones stay in storage...

·
Premium Member
2,141 Posts
Hard top, heater works well, extra rims and correct snows, plastic body and aluminum tub. Enjoy the winter!

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hard top, heater works well, extra rims and correct snows, plastic body and aluminum tub. Enjoy the winter!
don't think i haven't thought about it. The biggie is the salt corrosion - even though our aluminum is mostly anodized - some is not (rear subframe). Won't do it. Stuck in the truck. Just pissing and moaning. I feel better now. The shop allows me to play still - last winter i had it parked in a neighbors garage as my place was not ready yet. Atleast i can go downstairs, fire up the 13' diagonal LCD hd projector and simulate driving.....

·
Registered
201 Posts
don't think i haven't thought about it. The biggie is the salt corrosion - even though our aluminum is mostly anodized - some is not (rear subframe). Won't do it. Stuck in the truck. Just pissing and moaning. I feel better now. The shop allows me to play still - last winter i had it parked in a neighbors garage as my place was not ready yet. Atleast i can go downstairs, fire up the 13' diagonal LCD hd projector and simulate driving.....
Make one of those setups with the hydraulics ... I'll come over and race with you. Too bad they cost as much as a real car :(

·
Registered
312 Posts
Mine is also near the end of its driving season, its nearly tinkering season tho! I have some plans for the car over the winter. I have some other car projects that need lovin' too so Ill hopefully get around to everything while its too cold. I am not planning to change the insurance to storage until the salt flies tho

·
Registered
639 Posts
That's why you guys need to live out here in the northwest. No salt on the roads, and we maybe get one snowfall a year (although it is funny how 2 inches can shut an entire city down! Back in Ohio that never made us flinch) The temperature gets down a bit, but nothing a hoddie and cap won't solve.

Corvus

·
Registered
593 Posts
This is the first time I've ever had to store a car over winter... and I've been dreading it since August/September.. I'm going to miss driving, but it will may the spring roll out awesome. I just need to read up on the previous posts on how to store it properly.

I thought about getting the wheels and calipers powder coated and maybe doing new rotors. Is it bad to leave the car up on jack stands for extended periods?

·
6.94915254 lbs/hp
1,731 Posts
I thought about getting the wheels and calipers powder coated and maybe doing new rotors. Is it bad to leave the car up on jack stands for extended periods?
Yeah you want to keep the suspension loaded, which means avoid jack stands. However a week or two won't hurt anything.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
What is this "winter" thing you speak of? Is that when the temperature drops into the 50s and the air is beastly dry?

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
showoff.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I am actually excited for the winter season. Snow, skiing, and COLD weather. Stop complaining (New Englanders) :p Storing my Elise within the next month wont bother me.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts