The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i have done a bunch of stuff so far, but today i did something that makes soooooo much of a difference.:nanner:

I decided to do the shifter mod, Not the sector111 package or the Sands Museum....i did both. Parts for both cost me about $6.00 from the hardwhere store. After reviewing both mods which attatch in different locations in the shifter box, i did both, and a HUGE difference in how the car feels. The best buck spent so far.
I was able to find a brass sleeve that was 1 1/8" in hight (as recommended in Sands Museun write up 1/8" thick walls which was perfect with no modification)

http://www.sandsmuseum.com/cars/elise/experience/modifications/shiftbrace/index.html

Anyway wish i had done it a long time ago.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I wish you would have done it earlier too, 'cause i had my console out over the winter for painting, and could have done it then. Of course I'm just reading this thread now and my car is all buttoned back up. :) Guess I'll have to work this in at some point.

Thanks for the post and reminder of the mod on sandsmuseum.

- Allen.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
that is my next mod...

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The whole thing took about 2 hours, including going to the store for the stuff. I printed out the installation of both mods, took the panel off checked the measurements and baught the stuff. A lot easer than i thaught it was going to be.

If anyone is interested i will get the part # of the shim needed for the Sands install part cast $3.15 from the store. Used the bolt from the drivers side seat to match up (same thread as the shifter and just found one 2" long at the store with a couple of flat washers and locktite)

The Sector 111 job i altered a little, did not Drill out the drivers side to underside, left it in as per Lotus install, as it was already doing its job, and found no reason to alter it, only did the right side with a 2" flat washer to disperse the load accross the body, with some silicone.

Of the two the Sands mod makes a greater difference by far over the Sector 111. Just figured that as i had the cover off, i would do both mods for the same job, could only make it better.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
whats the exact size of the screw you used? I have the sector 111 part here, I'll probably do the mod next weekend.

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
I was able to find a brass sleeve that was 1 1/8" in hight (as recommended in Sands Museun write up 1/8" thick walls which was perfect with no modification)
If anyone is interested i will get the part # of the shim needed for the Sands install part cast $3.15 from the store.
It would be great if you could post exactly what you used. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
11,722 Posts
I agree: this made a huge difference in shifting feel & accuracy.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I agree: this made a huge difference in shifting feel & accuracy.
I would like to do this mod to my S too but I'm not sure to understand what I need and what to do...

I dont understand the instructions on sands museum web site.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
My Best Mod To Date has been cutting about a 2" high tapered section off the left side of the driver's seat to allow the bones of my A$$ some room. I peeled the leather back, cut out the seat with a fiberglass blade, sanded the cut edge smooth, folded the leather back (didn't even have to glue it) and you can't tell. GREATLY improved the comfort for me. I kept the piece in case I ever want to glass it back in. FANTASTIC difference for me on long rides IMHO.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I guess i will add this to my list of things to do while the car is currently under the knife. :p

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Well i have done a bunch of stuff so far, but today i did something that makes soooooo much of a difference.:nanner:

I decided to do the shifter mod, Not the sector111 package or the Sands Museum....i did both. Parts for both cost me about $6.00 from the hardwhere store. After reviewing both mods which attatch in different locations in the shifter box, i did both, and a HUGE difference in how the car feels. The best buck spent so far.

http://www.sandsmuseum.com/cars/elise/experience/modifications/shiftbrace/index.html

Anyway wish i had done it a long time ago.
Looking at the pics makes me wonder why Lotus didn't put the sleeve in to start with. If I'm looking at the pictures properly, everything is in place but the sleeve and the bolt. Why would that tapped hole be in the floor otherwise? :shrug:

Did they originally design the extra attachment point in and then intentionally not use it? (One shudders to contemplate the reasons for this)

·
Premium Member
11,722 Posts
I would like to do this mod to my S too but I'm not sure to understand what I need and what to do...

I dont understand the instructions on sands museum web site.
No problem. You can search for shifter, shift tower mods.

Basically, two parts to this, both to keep the shift tower from moving/flexing:

1. Something like Sector111's Reinforcer. They supply a long drill bit to make a hole thru the underbelly, and a heavy metal plate to affix under the car, with a long bolt that runs from the shift tower, then floor, then underbelly. You can see this on their site, but you could also do this w/o their kit by fabricating a similar plate. Obviously, the drill bit and bolt aren't proprietary.

2. Aka Stan's mod. If you removed the plastic shift-tower cover, you'd see that there is an unused threaded hole in the floor and about an inch below the tower. While Stan used washers between the floor and tower, I used a pc of metal tubing. Then, you run a bolt thru the tower and spacer under tower into the threaded hole in the floor.

This whole thing takes < 1 hour. NOTE that neither one alone is nearly as effective as both together.

I also added some lubricant and realigned one of the swage fittings by 1/8 turn so it was straight. Don't move them too much.

All this makes a wonderful, demonstrable difference and is cheap to do.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I noticed doing both mods together was a big improvement over the Sector one alone. I don't know why Lotus didn't just deliver the car with extra bolt in place, but even stranger is why Sector doesn't just toss in the extra hardware with their Reinforcer to save a trip for hardware. This and adjusting the break and gas pedals are my favorite mods so far.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I did both together + fluid change. A complete transformation in shifting feel, I definitely recommend.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Best single mod?

Badaraones baby!

xtn

1 - 20 of 135 Posts