The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went ahead and blackened my anthracite SSRs....check 'em out. I left the polished lip alone. Flush mounted badges from the Esprit, and black BMW wheel bolts (17 mm conventional hex head, lighter than stock) were used.

One front wheel...

One black SSR standing next to the Elise. The stock wheels are still on the car so there is a bit of the shiny spokes visible... but you can see the concept I think, and compare it to the LTS wheels.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Stan, why don't you start a customization shop. You could quit your day job!

I like the black, but I'll leave mine silver, thanks. So the Esprit buttons-where did you get em? I like that A LOT!

I got my Quicksilver Exhaust today, but it's highly unlikely I'll have time to get it on before 6 AM tomorrow morning when I leave for Nazareth. I shoulds bring tools and do it at the autoX. I don't run until heat 4. Unfortunately I have a job I have to do this afternoon. :(

·
Registered
357 Posts
black looks hot on the yellow, looks high quality...

Not sure if I would like it on any other colors, I would guess some guys will put black wheels on their black cars.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
>>>Stan, why don't you start a customization shop. You could quit your day job! I like the black, but I'll leave mine silver, thanks. So the Esprit buttons-where did you get em? I like that A LOT! <<<

They are just late esprit badges which I modified by snipping off the tabs on the back side. Your dealer should be able to get them, or check with Hunting Ridge Motors up in my neck of the woods... 914-939-7200. I like how they can be made to fit the SSRs flush. The center caps SSR supplies are aluminum and stick out about an inch and a half. You can use those too, and glue on a smaller diameter badge. Stock they are engraved with SSR. SSR also gives you the decals you see in the PICs at the Tire Rack site but they don't come installed. So you can choose what to do there.

>>>I got my Quicksilver Exhaust today, but it's highly unlikely I'll have time to get it on before 6 AM tomorrow morning when I leave for Nazareth. I shoulds bring tools and do it at the autoX. I don't run until heat 4. Unfortunately I have a job I have to do this afternoon. <<<

Cool, I'd love to see/hear it. Don't forget that it takes them about 500-1000 miles to stabilize their sound. The packing inside the muffler gets coated with soot.

I had a surprise today. Tire Rack apparently sent two right fronts and one rear tire in the set of four I have. So no Nazareth Auto-x for me as the missing rear tire / wheel is being overnighted for Saturday arrival.... I have to paint that one so that it matches the other three with their now black centers.

When I install them, I will load in my new Porterfield R4-S brake pads F/R.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
>>>That looks sweet. Is it powder coated? Paint?<<<

I used paint to save time, and to allow me to try out the look and keep/change it as I live with it a bit. If I like it I may have them powder coated the same way or whatever I later decide over the winter. You can't use these tires in cold weather. Powder coating is more rugged than paint. Then again, paint is super EZ to touch up if you get a nick or scratch. I used a stain black finish which is very forgiving and will tend to hide brake dust while looking mean. The polished lips have the stock powder clear coat on them.

With the black finish and the flush Lotus wheel badge and BMW bolts they don't instantly look like SSRs. They may make some trackies do a double take.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
nice work! looks great! I'll send you my wheels when I get my car. LOL

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
STAN STOP! I'm losing track of all your great mods. It's almost everyday now and there all so damn nice. I think Randy needs to make a Stan's Shop forum to keep all these things nicely organized. ++++ Awesome job!:clap:

Stan you must make it to the BBQ!!!

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
>>Their beautiful. I'm going to have to copy you. Did you rough them up before paint?<<

Thanks for the kind words. I did that chemically using something called an adhesion promoter. You could also scuff the surface a bit with very high grit paper. Powder coat is the stock finish, it's now acting as my primer over the aluminum itself.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
>>>STAN STOP! I'm losing track of all your great mods. It's almost everyday now and there all so damn nice. I think Randy needs to make a Stan's Shop forum to keep all these things nicely organized. ++++ Awesome job! <<<

Thanks! I'm rushing some of this stuff before the car hibernates for the winter. Then I'll probably think of more stuff..

>>Stan you must make it to the BBQ!!!<<

I'll certainly try. I'll be racing down at Orchard Beach in the Bronx, NYC from early AM onward though. If the event goes quickly and coming home traffic is agreeable I'll make it near the end. I live fairly close to the picnic in any case, so that helps the odds as I'm heading that way anyway.

For those driving near NYC already, just stop by Orchard Beach on the way to the picnic to say hi and see the car race.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
>>>My guess is tomorrow the diffuser gets its turn for a touchup <<<

I want to play around with the idea in Photoshop, but I have pondered mirror polishing the rear diffuser and then clear coating it.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Stan said:
>>>My guess is tomorrow the diffuser gets its turn for a touchup <<<

I want to play around with the idea in Photoshop, but I have pondered mirror polishing the rear diffuser and then clear coating it.
That is exactly what I had suggested in another thread. Polish with a clear coat would just be awesome..especially since you have a polished lip on the wheels now.

Are you considering strips? I have been pondering this one as well. Black or Green?? Just don't know yet. I also really like the yellow GT40 stripes on the new Ford. It has closer more narrow stripes with a white pin stripe on the outer edges. Just gorgeous!

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
>>>That is exactly what I had suggested in another thread. Polish with a clear coat would just be awesome..especially since you have a polished lip on the wheels now. <<<

You read my mind..plus it ties to the aluminum frame theme.

>>Are you considering strips? I have been pondering this one as well. Black or Green?? Just don't know yet. I also really like the yellow GT40 stripes on the new Ford. It has closer more narrow stripes with a white pin stripe on the outer edges. Just gorgeous!<<

I'm kinda leaning toward British Racing Green stripes on my Saffron Elise. That would be the Classic Lotus racing color combo, but inverse as they had the bodies green with yellow stripes. I'll have to play around with the idea on Photoshop. And a local SY car may have this done at HRM so I will keep tabs on that one.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
Stan,

Another sweet mod!

Watch out for the rear wheel cap. The wheel cap may not be able to fit flush. There is a spindle that extends further than the hub snout. Check it before cutting down the rear caps. I suspect this is why the Elise wheel cap sticks out so far. You can kind of see it here:

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
>>>Another sweet mod! Watch out for the rear wheel cap. The wheel cap may not be able to fit flush. There is a spindle that extends further than the hub snout. Check it before cutting down the rear caps. I suspect this is why the Elise wheel cap sticks out so far. You can kind of see it here: <<<

I know about that one, but I want to avoid a tower scenario. The LTS caps don't fit, but a tubular extension going under the Esprit caps might do it, or a dome concept. BMWs have the same issue with SSRs. Rears too. The stubs could probably be trimmed back a bit but I'm not interested in doing that.

I got the Porterfield pads on the car....tomorrow the last wheel and tire gets to me so I'll be good to go. (I hadn't rec'd a right rear)

While I was at it I evened out my front camber by yanking one 1 mm shim. The shims on both fronts consisted of a 3mm, a 1 mm and a 1mm shim / ABS wire bracket. You need to remove the long rearmost bolt entirely and loosen the front bolt. The shims have a hole in the back for the rear bolt and a cutout at the front bolt location so that they can slide off. I'd like to add more negative camber eventually, but right now I am sticking with the stock camber amount to see how the tires/wheels affect the handling without making too many other simultaneous changes.

·
Registered
2005 elise touring ardent red
612 Posts
brake pads

anyone have experience with EBC Greenstuff brake pads ?

·
Registered
368 Posts
1FASTMX5 said:
I think Randy needs to make a Stan's Shop forum to keep all these things nicely organized. ++++ Awesome job!:clap:
I'm for it!:clap:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts