The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
formula enterprise. 2.3 liter Mazda, 170 hp, 5-speed sequential gearbox, slicks, daul element rear wing. (insanely jealous)

the Skippy car is going to feel like a pooch after this!

·
Registered
386 Posts
This is the formula SCCA?

Cool - I thought about one of these, but heard, oddly enough, it was not competitive in its class. (Surprising, since SCCA does the classing.)

I heard a lot of good things about the F1000:

Anyone running one of these? Be curious as to your thoughts/experiences on running one of these.

Cheers,
-Darryl

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My friend said that the FE (Formula SCCA) is slower than a FC but faster than the Formula 2000 we race with Skip Barber. I've raced nothing but the Skippy car so can't offer an opinion. Perhaps if FE's and FC's are raced together (as open-wheel groups shrink) the FC's are quicker.:shrug:
The FE is arguably the coolest-looking of the 3.

·
Registered
685 Posts
hey guys,

a driver i private coach has an FE car (and just finished 3rd at the last scca ggr race at laguna seca :clap:) and came straight from racing the west coast skip barber series. he loves the car and thinks its a great step up from the skippy car. i believe its a good, inexpensive way to get some quality seat time in a formula car before moving up to a star mazda car.

as a coach for skippy, i've driven the current regional/national car for many years and i wish we picked up a fleet of FE cars to replace our current fleet. this would prepare drivers better for todays current formula cars (star mazda, atlantic, etc).

my only complaint is the level of racing in the scca is not up to par with skip barber (i.e. more yellow flags because of drivers who need to go take a 3-day skippy school!). if the level of competition got better and people learned how to drive, the FE class would be very fun. the car itself is a great learning tool and i would love to see people race them more!

if you have any questions let me know...

Robbie

·
Registered
613 Posts
My friend said that the FE (Formula SCCA) is slower than a FC but faster than the Formula 2000 we race with Skip Barber. I've raced nothing but the Skippy car so can't offer an opinion. Perhaps if FE's and FC's are raced together (as open-wheel groups shrink) the FC's are quicker.:shrug:
The FE is arguably the coolest-looking of the 3.
I'm not sure about the Skippy cars but in SCCA, a FC uses a 2-litre engine cars.The current GCR only allows two engines, either the 2 litre Ford SOHC Pinto engine, or the newer Zetec. In Canada, and maybe other countries, these cars are often referred to as F2000s.

·
Registered
613 Posts
This is the formula SCCA?

Cool - I thought about one of these, but heard, oddly enough, it was not competitive in its class. (Surprising, since SCCA does the classing.)

I heard a lot of good things about the F1000:

Anyone running one of these? Be curious as to your thoughts/experiences on running one of these.

Cheers,
-Darryl
A FSCCA car should be faster than a FC since it has about 170 hp (vs. 140). The problem is that the Enterprise cars have been classed as a subclass of the FA (Atlantic) class, SCCA's fastest class, with which it is definitely not as fast. I have heard rumors that they were going to place it in its own class if the participation numbers increase enough, but I don't think that's happened yet. It's still listed in the 2008 GCR as an Atlantic subclass.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not sure about the Skippy cars but in SCCA, a FC uses a 2-litre engine cars.The current GCR only allows two engines, either the 2 litre Ford SOHC Pinto engine, or the newer Zetec. In Canada, and maybe other countries, these cars are often referred to as F2000s.
The Skippy car is a 2.0 liter SOHC Mazda (formerly Dodge). The Dodge was rated at 160 hp and top speed of 135mph. Not sure of the specs on the Mazda motor but suspect it is basically a Mazda 3 or Mazda 6 motor. My friend felt that the FE had more top-end rpms and was geared differently.
All 3 have similar sized power-plants, performance differences likely come from different tuning, gearing, overall weight, slicks vs. treads, and aero aids.

·
Registered
386 Posts
the star mazdas use a 250hp renesis engine with a 6 speed box.
That's the new(er) Star Mazda (aka pro mazdas) have this engine (240hp) w/ a sequential 6 speed, no-lift-shift transaxle.

The older Star/Formula Mazdas had a flatter nose, and (175hp) w/ 5 speed transaxle.

Anyone here race in the Formula Mazda Challenge? Open to both Pro Mazda & the standard FM cars... (diff classes, of course).
Mazda West Coast Series

Cheers,
-Darryl

·
Registered
685 Posts
I don't race in the FMC series, but have race the Star Mazda series... hoping to be back in the car for the season finale too...

But the FMC series is great, we will be coaching a few drivers that are racing that series...

Robbie

That's the new(er) Star Mazda (aka pro mazdas) have this engine (240hp) w/ a sequential 6 speed, no-lift-shift transaxle.

The older Star/Formula Mazdas had a flatter nose, and (175hp) w/ 5 speed transaxle.

Anyone here race in the Formula Mazda Challenge? Open to both Pro Mazda & the standard FM cars... (diff classes, of course).
Mazda West Coast Series

Cheers,
-Darryl

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've met several drivers in the series but haven't been lucky enough to race in it myself (didn't get interested in racing early enough :mad: )

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
A FSCCA car should be faster than a FC since it has about 170 hp (vs. 140). The problem is that the Enterprise cars have been classed as a subclass of the FA (Atlantic) class, SCCA's fastest class, with which it is definitely not as fast. I have heard rumors that they were going to place it in its own class if the participation numbers increase enough, but I don't think that's happened yet. It's still listed in the 2008 GCR as an Atlantic subclass.
I just tested an FE yesterday at Roebling Road...it may be my next car. It was a blast to drive, but I still wasn't up to speed by the end of the day. First time in car and first day at RRR was a bit much to digest in one sitting. :eek:

Anyway, just to correct one item, FE is in it's own class; you're just racing people in identical cars. (the basic parameters you can tune are tire pressures, alignment, shock settings, and wing angle... springs, shocks, gears, engine, tires, everything else are spec) It has been thrown into FA at the runoffs while participation numbers were built up, but it will be a standalone runoffs class this year.

I've been told the 2.3L engine is from a Mazda small truck. People claim to get 40 race weekends out of them.

Oh, and the FE does have more top speed than an FC, altho the FC does allow a diffuser, while the FE is flat bottomed.

·
Registered
494 Posts
The 2.3 liter Mazda MZR is used in the Mazda3/6 and some other cars. For FE, it's in more or less stock trim, which is part of the reason that they last so long.

Formula Enterprise is a 'sealed' series like Spec Racer Ford; all you can adjust is your shocks, wings, and roll stiffness. You can also put a full sports racer body on the car and run in the IMSA Lites series if you are so inclined.

Originally, the cars ran classed as Formula Atlantics (leading to the comments "badly outclassed") until there were enough of them on the track. Now FE runs as it's own class and is in fact going to the Runoffs this year, and is (I believe) ahead of FC in participation.

Speedwise, at least on the west coast tracks the FE is faster than the FC.

Steve

1 - 15 of 15 Posts