The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

well i have had the elise for about a month and just got the first service done at lotus of atlanta. here are my thoughts...

1. has to be one of the most fun carsi have owned.

2. when the cam kicks in the car is a blast.

3. gets ALOT of positive attention everywhere i go.

4. the LSS package is quite comfy.

BUT....

while up at lotus of atlanta i started looking seriously at the gallardo and i think i may bite. that car is just plain awesome!!!

and to add insult to that i stopped by jim ellis porsche and now the GT3 is starting to call me.

SSOOOO.....

i sold my 2004 srt10 viper today and i may let the elise go if and only if someone is willing to buy me out without losing anything.

this is the car...

ARDENT RED ELISE WITH

LSS SPORTS PACKAGE
HARDTOP
TOURING PACKAGE
STARSHIELD

LOADED CAR WITHOUT ONE SCRATCH ON THE CAR. ALREADY HAD THE $250.00 FIRST SERVICE DONE AND READY TO ROLL !!!

CAR HAS ABOUT 800 MILES ON IT.

I PAID EXACTLY...

Base Price: $40,930.00
Destination Charge: $795.00
Paint Option: $0.00
Package Option: $3,830.00
Hard Top Option: $1,475.00
Starshield Option: $ 995.00

New Price: $48025.00

ga sales tax paid 7% for a total of 51,386.75. i will be willing to sell the car for 51k.

so basically you get a brand new car with ALL the options with the service already paid for and taxes paid for 51k.

that is actually NO markup on the car since anyone would have to pay tax anyway.

if anyone interested let me know asap. my dealer has already found a wholesaler at 50k but since i will be leasing the new car it makes no sense to trade it in.

please only VERY serious inquiries and NO demo drives. i will demo drive it but if you want to joyride go see your dealer thats what the demos are for :D

706-793-1770

regards
george ciamillo

www.mgwltd.com

·
Registered
970 Posts
that is actually NO markup on the car since anyone would have to pay tax anyway.
but George, not really true cause most of us have to pay tax again when we register our car in our own state...so you are asking for a 3500.00 markup...alot of cars selling at msrp and 1K above now...tough sell imo.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Re: My Car Is For Sale ( I Think)

mact3333 said:
but George, not really true cause most of us have to pay tax again when we register our car in our own state...so you are asking for a 3500.00 markup...alot of cars selling at msrp and 1K above now...tough sell imo.
why would you have to pay tax again??? i know of no states around here ( southeast) that require you to pay sales tax on a used car from an individual :confused:

maybe california but i doubt anyone there would be in the market for a georgia car anyway

george

·
Registered
167 Posts
Re: Re: Re: My Car Is For Sale ( I Think)

Florida does :(

MGW said:
why would you have to pay tax again??? i know of no states around here ( southeast) that require you to pay sales tax on a used car from an individual :confused:

maybe california but i doubt anyone there would be in the market for a georgia car anyway

george

·
Registered
259 Posts
Re: Re: Re: My Car Is For Sale ( I Think)

MGW said:

george
So does Virginia (and I bet many others, if not all).

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: My Car Is For Sale ( I Think)

JBurer said:
Florida does :(
so does kansas

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well i am not sure of all the states but i know that georgia and maryland do not. as well as texas and alabama etc.

i just want to make sure i am clear. i am not a dealer i am an individual. you would not be buying the car from a dealer so how would the state know how much you paid for the car. all you need to tag the car is show the title??

george

·
Registered
357 Posts
and IL, you do pay "less" tax in IL if you buy from a private party who has the car registered in IL, then it is based on a range of values with a max of about $2,500 vs. the 8.75% sales tax (in Chicago)...

perhaps only GA residents would not have to pay the tax

·
Registered
970 Posts
MGW said:
well i am not sure of all the states but i know that georgia and maryland do not. as well as texas and alabama etc.

i just want to make sure i am clear. i am not a dealer i am an individual. you would not be buying the car from a dealer so how would the state know how much you paid for the car. all you need to tag the car is show the title??

george
im my state, they could care less what you paid for the car...they go by kelly blue book or equivalent...so if you paid 1 dollar, youre still being taxed on entire worth of car...alot of states like that

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
also, itv would not be 3500.00 markup since sticker on the car was...

plus the frist service is done for 250.00

i am selling for 51k so the markup would be 2725 only for those that live in the states that require double taxing. which i still think is bullsH&T ( not that i think you guys are lying, i just mean its sh%TTY to double tax someone like this :mad:

maybei i will just keep the car

regards
george

·
Registered
364 Posts
George,

The state of Georgia does not require sales tax to be paid on the sales of a used car between private individuals. A used car bought from a dealer does require sales tax. Most and I mean most (GA is a rare exception) states charge sales tax on a private sales transaction.

So the only way to avoid the sales tax for non-GA people is for them to tag the car in GA and use your address. Then depending on the state, a certain duration later they can tag the car in their respective state. Keep in mind the person would have to pay county property tax for a GA tagged vehicle.

You would be better off some how trading it to offset the sales tax. As you said, with a lease it may be moot.

I do not think you will find some one for this deal, when you can get one now for a little premium.

I liked the yellow Gallardo in the show room. I would like it, but can't or will not splurge $160-180k for the car.

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
bboersma said:
and IL, you do pay "less" tax in IL if you buy from a private party who has the car registered in IL, then it is based on a range of values with a max of about $2,500 vs. the 8.75% sales tax (in Chicago)...

perhaps only GA residents would not have to pay the tax
This is something I heard a while back... don't know if it's true or not, but it doesn't seem too far fetched.

Supposedly, on average, the tax paid on a car in IL during the car's life is equal to or greater than the original purchase price.

·
Registered
44 Posts
MGW said:
Errr...MD does. Or at least did when I lived there (I have since realized the errors of my ways and moved FAR away...to Northern VA). :)

Remember, taxes are money, but tax evasion is a felony. And even if the taxes are payable by the buyer, a seller who knowinglyassists in a scheme to not pay taxes could be involved in a conspiracy to commit tax evasion.

Not a risk I personally would want to run, IMHO. YMMV, etc. etc. etc.

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Here's an idea for the states who tax every sale of a car...

Start charging SUV owners the same gas guzzler tax you charge people who are buying an M3... and stop ripping the rest of us off.

·
Registered
670 Posts
MGW said:
i just mean its sh%TTY to double tax someone like this :mad:

regards
george
It's not double tax. They tax you once for one purchase then they tax the buyer once for one purchase. Normally people don't buy cars then sell them in a few weeks trying to recoup full value including tax. The best way out is probably to use the Elise as a trade in on the Lambo. To sell a $180K car they probably have plenty of wiggle room to give you any value you want on the trade. $48K $51K $55k.

Steve

1 - 20 of 44 Posts