The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove away after having my car parked all night and all of a sudden, my car hits the rev limitator waaay too early. First gear is now at 4,000 RPM. Anybody have any idea whats going on here? This car has 1,100 miles on it and now I cant drive it.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Is the engine cold? That is normal behaviour until it gets warm.
Otherwise you should see the service light on the instrument panel and see your dealer.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
On the Elise the lower rev limit stays on until your temperature guage starts registering a number, 160 degrees F, I think. Perhaps the Evora is similar.

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
Sound a little like "limp home mode" , but I thought it would limit you to under 2000rpms.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
Its broke...and you can't drive it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I drove away after having my car parked all night and all of a sudden, my car hits the rev limitator waaay too early. First gear is now at 4,000 RPM. Anybody have any idea whats going on here? This car has 1,100 miles on it and now I cant drive it.

Mine did the same recently. Got home and thought it would mean a visit to the shop but next day, and ever since its been fine ......

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Mine did the same recently. Got home and thought it would mean a visit to the shop but next day, and ever since its been fine ......
Don't worry about it. Evoras show affection this way :rolleyes:. Look forward to this happening many more times this summer. :crazyeyes I've had this happen intermittently for the past 16000 miles. At *least* a couple of dozen times.

BTW, FYI, it's not "limp-home" (which is a much more serious ordeal), it's just the car trying to protect the engine for whatever reason. It always goes away after you shut down the car and come back when it's cooled down a bit. Sometimes shutting down and starting back up right away may reset it, that's rarely been the case and I've tried that at least a dozen times.

It's an annoyance and probably one attributed to overheating. Problem with these cars are that they rely on the car moving [at high speed] to keep the engine temps normal. Sitting still should cause the blower to come on if the car is hot. I say should because the blower doesn't always behave right either.

I've reported it a few times, and Lotus was never able to put their finger on it, saying everything appears normal (according to the ECU anyway).

Good luck.. If you figure it out, let me know.

As far as I'm concerned, these cars aren't designed to be reliable, despite the Toyota engine. As somebody else pointed out, what fails is everything Lotus has messed with. I've come to learn that's Lotus' signature...

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don't worry about it. Evoras show affection this way :rolleyes:. Look forward to this happening many more times this summer. :crazyeyes I've had this happen intermittently for the past 16000 miles. At *least* a couple of dozen times.

BTW, FYI, it's not "limp-home" (which is a much more serious ordeal), it's just the car trying to protect the engine for whatever reason. It always goes away after you shut down the car and come back when it's cooled down a bit. Sometimes shutting down and starting back up right away may reset it, that's rarely been the case and I've tried that at least a dozen times.

It's an annoyance and probably one attributed to overheating. Problem with these cars are that they rely on the car moving [at high speed] to keep the engine temps normal. Sitting still should cause the blower to come on if the car is hot. I say should because the blower doesn't always behave right either.

I've reported it a few times, and Lotus was never able to put their finger on it, saying everything appears normal (according to the ECU anyway).

Good luck.. If you figure it out, let me know.

As far as I'm concerned, these cars aren't designed to be reliable, despite the Toyota engine. As somebody else pointed out, what fails is everything Lotus has messed with. I've come to learn that's Lotus' signature...

All of this sounds correct. It was parked in direct sunlight at 94 degrees today here in Florida. I parked it in the shade and tried again later and it's been fine ever since.

It's a bit alarming for that to happen out of the blue. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
571 Posts
On the Elise the lower rev limit stays on until your temperature guage starts registering a number, 160 degrees F, I think. Perhaps the Evora is similar.
I only just realized this the ohter day in my Exige. Thinking 'what, why won't it let me past 6!'

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
The 2010 Launch Edition Lotus Demo car that I first drove went into the 4,000 RPM rev limit mode during my test drive. Pulling over to the shoulder, turning it off for a few minutes, then restarting it relieved the problem. I was told that it was a recurring problem, and that an ECU Update corrected it. You might ask your dealer if you have the latest Update.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Sitting still should cause the blower to come on if the car is hot. I say should because the blower doesn't always behave right either.
...on your car. We haven't seen anyone else here pop up with the same engine bay fan problem.

Like the "clicking wheels"?

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
I just have to disagree!!! The Evora has been very reliable for me, over 22.000 KM and no more issues than with any other car:clap:
I think the Evora may just be too complex for most of the simplistic US dealers and workshops. Hey, you guys built the space shuttle, why can't you find a competent dealer?TADTS

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
Hey, you guys built the space shuttle, why can't you find a competent dealer?TADTS
My dealer is very competent. OTOH, there are something like 41 dealers in the entire 3 million square miles of the continental US. It's not like there's a dealer on the next corner if you don't like yours.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
sorry to hear of evora problems - own a 05 elise & except for oil line problems that I just had happen to me & fob needing to be reprogramed - my car is very dependable & I love it everyday - & it is true until engine temp gets up - mine comes on at 159 on gauge u cannot rev it high - which is not a bad thing anyway - and don't let it warmup idling, just start,let it run for 1-2min then drive away easy letting car warmup while your driving - and do this with any car/truck always - never good on engines to just let sit idling for 10,15min or longer waiting for car/truck to warm up to long & poeple do it alot & especially in winter waiting for heat inside of car

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
I just have to disagree!!! The Evora has been very reliable for me, over 22.000 KM and no more issues than with any other car:clap:
I think the Evora may just be too complex for most of the simplistic US dealers and workshops. Hey, you guys built the space shuttle, why can't you find a competent dealer?TADTS
It seems the reliability experiences with our cars are quite different. We live in different areas, and perhaps in different climates. That might be a factor? And certainly the skill of the Lotus mechanic does make a big difference in one's experience as well.

Guys, If I come off as a bit antagonistic, I apologize--it's just my frustration coming through. I certainly welcome comments such as the one above.. It provides hope.

But listen, I tried to remain as objective as I could about my experiences with my car. I've shared videos I've recorded for Lotus for all to see, and even posted my ENTIRE service history for everyone to see what I've been through with my car (see my garage), so you guys can decide for yourself if it's just me. I'd hope people are smart enough to make up their own minds. It should be obvious that posts on a forum doesn't represent the majority. If it's not clear--there I said it. I hope that keeps some of you off my back for a little while longer ;)

But just so you all get some perspective on where I'm coming from:
In early 2010, I came to Lotus as your average Joe consumer who decided on Lotus over a Porsche, Lexus, Mercedes or BMW, for a daily driver, based on several test drives and the comfort of the car. They sold me on this idea that the car was designed to a daily driver with the reliability of a Camry, yet the prowess of the true Lotus. That was the sales pitch, and I bought it. But my experience hasn't been nothing like promised... Car always in and out of the shop, lots of little things going wrong, and engine that conks out on you (twice now), over heats, and an entire clutch replacement less than a year into my ownership If Lotus wants to enter the luxury market, they need to see that owners paying 90K for a daily driver aren't going to put up with the constant servicing. This is not the "trackable" daily driver I expected With the issues I've had, it's neither. I'm pretty sure all my current issues will eventually get sorted out under warranty, nevertheless I have alas decided to relegate this car as my weekend car like most Lotus owners, as I have a new DD on order. And after my warranty expires next April, it'll likely become a garage queen, as I have my eyes set on another brand to be obsessed with.

Anyway...enough about me.

Here's a couple of videos on the issue of the blower not working right (I think I've posted these before):

As demonstrated in the above video, the blower was coming on even though the car started cold.

Next video: Here, the car has been running about town, yet the blower fails to turn on at stoplights. I pulled over to take a video for my Lotus tech.

Some notes: I've had the temp gauge go up by almost 3/4 without the blower fan coming on, not just the two or three notches that is shown on the temp gauge on the right console screen. The ambient temp on the left console screen read 98 degrees F. And on my ODB-II readout, the water temp was just over 200 degrees F, and 'AIT' (air intake temp?) was 122 F. At speed, AIT temps would usually stay within a range of 98F and 105F, however sitting idle, it has risen to 122 F since the engine bay temps have increased due to lack of airflow over the vents.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
We can find a competent dealer, it has a Chevy or Ford sign outside. :p
Or, to be fair, a Mercedes or Porsche sign as well. ;)

Being simplistic, we build simple cars like Camaros, Mustangs and Corvettes. Put in gas, change oil twice a year and new tires when necessary. Since they sell the annual production of the Evora every day or so on average, they have to work.

On a side note, while we did design the space shuttle in the 1960s to 1970s, our last reusable hypersonic plane recently disintegrated - at 13,000 MPH or Mach 22. Apparently the skin peeled off at 3500F. Dumme Amerikaner!

·
Registered
597 Posts
Squidward, there is nothing obviously wrong with your engine bay fan in those videos.

The fan comes on with engine bay temp, not coolant temp. In the video, the coolant gauge -- yes, that is what your dashboard temp gauge is measuring-- may be at min, but the car is sitting in the sun on a hot day. The engine bay can get warm that way; it's under glass after all. Additionally, the fan will come on earlier if your AC is turned on.

In the second video, you say that you have just pulled over from driving around town. If you were driving and just pulled over, it may take some time before the engine bay gets hot enough for the fan to come on. Again, engine bay fan operation is not directly related to coolant temperature.

The engine bay fan will not come on at all when you're moving, so it cannot be related to the LHM incident you had, since you say the engine "conked out" on you on the highway.

My point is that you need to take your car to a professional if you want it fixed. Please don't say that you took the car to the dealer and they didn't fix it, because you took it in when you thought the fan wasn't working right-- and they told you, correctly, that it is fine-- and you have not taken it in since your limp-home-mode incident. Instead you tried to read the codes yourself, which accomplished nothing except another dozen posts on the forum.

The idea that Evoras have an overheating problem is flat nonsense, yet you keep posting as if this is an accepted fact. It is misleading and unhelpful to others on the list, and more to the point it is not helping you to fix whatever might be wrong with your car-- which, again, is surely not the engine bay fan, so there's no need to repost those videos a third time.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I dropped my car off at my local dealer this morning and took a loaner vehicle. I wanted them to look into this a bit further before I take the car to Miami this weekend. I had a few other things going on, like soaked floor mats for no reason (no rain whatsoever) and other very minor stuff.

Their tech initially told me that this is common and that it will do this until the engine is warmed up, but I'm not satisfied with that as an answer because I discovered this as I was passing over traffic and it kind of stalled in the lane I was crossing over. Luckily, I was able to get passed the initial shock and get to the next gear and was able to avoid being T-Boned.

I've also owned cars where this does not happen, so it's a tough pill to swallow. (i.e. MR2 Spyder with 2ZZ-GE swap)

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Their tech initially told me that this is common and that it will do this until the engine is warmed up
Yup, just like they told me.

I've also owned cars where this does not happen, so it's a tough pill to swallow. (i.e. MR2 Spyder with 2ZZ-GE swap)
Well I hope it works out for you and you don't have the same overheating issues I do. It's really unfortunate, especially when you want to enjoy the car for what it can do, only to find out the performance on these cars are finicky at best, at least for me.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts