The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Forum Founder
29,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A bit of a sad day with some mixed feelings.

We took the Elise to an autocross, for the first time since September. The car was flying and was unreal how well it handled and how fast it was. But the point of taking it to the autocross was to let the prospective owner test it out and it passed with flying colours.

So... the development car for SCCA ASP is now in someone else's capable hands. The new owner is Jason Uyeda, the head technical guy at Neversoft. Jason is a very good driver and proven he can build cars, the last being an Uber S2000. Jason intends on taking the car further than I have.

It is a bit sad for me, since this is the car I have had for 3 and 1/2 years. The car I drove from Georgia to San Diego in 2.5 days. The one that ran the Tail of the Dragon with Killyboy being quoted he had never seen a car that fast ever on Tail of the Dragon. The car that we did a TON of development work on, trying this intake or that header. One of the first imported federal cars. One of the first with LSD.

What is next? Well, there is the Eagle, but that will be a bit of a wait. In the meantime, I am having another car being built for me in Cornwall UK. This will be a 2.4l Duratec turbo engine Seven clone called a Toniq R. More info to follow on that. Seems it will be even more pure of purpose. No ABS, alarm, AC, heater, stereo, windshield, roof.

I might also be picking up a Porsche Boxster S for a daily driver. That is being negotiated.

I am happy my car will be in capable hands and I will not be reducing my involvement AT ALL in the Lotus community. I just will be showing up at events in my Toniq for the next year.

·
Forum Founder
29,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is the car I will be driving later this spring

550 kgs (just over 1200 pounds) and over 300 hp.

There is a Lotus connection to this car, one of the design guys was the instrumental in developing the Elise.

·
Forum Founder
29,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:)

I will be back.

·
Registered
952 Posts
That does look like a lot of fun. I'll look forward to seeing it at an event sometime soon.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Randy, Its sad to see you sell the Elise after so much you two have been through.. Hope we will see you in something equivalent again...

Your new ride looks awesome though.. Cant beat the power to weight ratio!

·
Forum Founder
29,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How come you picked the Toniq R over a Caterham?
A couple reasons.

We believe in the concept of the car, basically a Seven clone for the 21st century. I think it looks more unique. And lastly (but an important point), the main importers and distributors of the Toniq is Robert P and I. Seems to make sense to have one. :)

We have a good relationship with the factory (Adrenalyn Motorsports, check out the Murtaya car) and they have worked with us quite closely over the last year. We visited the factory in Cornwall two weeks ago and had some good meetings. We were able to spec out the first US car to our requirements. The second car will be a motorcycle engine, sequential shifter.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
A couple reasons.

We believe in the concept of the car, basically a Seven clone for the 21st century. I think it looks more unique. And lastly (but an important point), the main importers and distributors of the Toniq is Robert P and I. Seems to make sense to have one. :)

We have a good relationship with the factory (Adrenalyn Motorsports, check out the Murtaya car) and they have worked with us quite closely over the last year. We visited the factory in Cornwall two weeks ago and had some good meetings. We were able to spec out the first US car to our requirements. The second car will be a motorcycle engine, sequential shifter.
If its not a secret.. How much is it? Looks interesting enough for me to consider buying..

·
Forum Founder
29,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
http://www.toniqr.co.uk/

Pricing is to be determined. But we expect the car to be available in the US as a roller for a good price, maybe $20K? And with a supplied drive train installed for the somewhere in the 30s???? Don't hold me to that!

WW, we tried to convince the developer to change his slogan from refresh your ride, to "its a bit clever."

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I would pick one up at 20k. Any ideas on how smog would go down in Cali? Kind of off topic, but then again you are getting one ;)

I visited loanshark not too long ago.. I should of stopped by your place

·
Registered
3,185 Posts

·
Modern Day Hippie
3,839 Posts
It sounds like a tough decision to make, but it is important to know when it's the right time to let go and move. Just like in any other relationship. It's sounds like you're on to other wonderful things already. I don't know what to say about the Boxster so I'll be quiet for the time being.:) Enjoy everything life has to offer you Randy!

1 - 20 of 149 Posts