The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 40 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Good luck with the Toniq. It makes sense since you are starting a new business. But the challenge with those lightweight high power cars is to get the chassis tuning right. Something Caterham has done for some 35years. When you get the chassis sorted out, this thing will fly!

Good luck, ship jumper. ;)

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
neat, I like that Toniq alot. Seems like alot of Elise owner's eventually gravitate towards something more hard-core. Not surprising really as the car is a bit of a compromise between a street car and race car. best of luck!

·
Registered
828 Posts
Randy, sorry to hear that the Elise is gone, but the replacement sounds very exciting. Good luck on the distributorship--hope to see some of these in the coming months.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,686 Posts
Is that going to be streetable in the US ??? :shrug:

·
Forum Founder
29,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
BLUE FALCON! :p

So did you build the Elise with the intention of selling at some point, or did you just suddenly decide you wanted a new car?

Either way, big congratulations! :D
Building up the car was a separate issue and really stupid financially. For eample, we upgraded the Penske cannisters to the latest ones at a cost of over $2000 in September. I will never get that back. The goal was always to build up the fastest SCCA legal car for autocross in its class. I think we have done that, and we were continuing to do that.

I think I would have been just as happy keeping the car for many more months, this was not a firesale. The car has ben listed as "for sale" for a long time on this forum. It just so happened that two separate people contacted me in the last two weeks wanting the car for SCCA competition.

It really makes a lot of sense for the buyer. You get a lighter car with a full blown stand alone ECU, supercharger, custom exhaust system, $5000 shocks, springs, etc etc etc. All told, there is at least $25,0000 put into the car (which I will NOT get back out of it by far).

Another issue for me was ChaseCam is taking up so much of my time, I really have not been able to do the required tuning and testing to keep moving the car forward. We have a list of things to do to the car, such as the E-85 tune, larger throttle body, intercooler, and more. Just not enough time to do it. Jason (the new car owner) can get it done and then he can win in this car.

·
Forum Founder
29,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #32

·
Forum Founder
29,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
1200 pounds, 300hp! Sounds great! What is the price range?
Depends on the build. I think from around $20K and you supply the drivetrain, to over $35k as a ready to go product.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
I always wanted a 7:)

I am looking forward to seeing it:up:

On a side note, you should plan a Club111 or whatever it is called now auto cross for the spring and then we can all drool over your new ride:clap:

·
Forum Founder
29,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I always wanted a 7:)

I am looking forward to seeing it:up:

On a side note, you should plan a Club111 or whatever it is called now auto cross for the spring and then we can all drool over your new ride:clap:
We are still planning on doing exactly that. For now, the new car will be my Lotus of sorts and I hope nobody minds me not having a real Lotus. It will be cool to see the 2-Eleven and this car in the same place...not to suggest the cars are comparable, but they serve a similar purpose.

·
Forum Founder
29,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I think it needs a windshield and wiper to be street legal (depending on state, but NY adopts many of CA's standards) That's one of the reasons a Caterham is slightly easier to legalize than an Atom :cool:
We have discussed a windshield design with the company, but as noted, the Ariel Atom does not have one.

·
Forum Founder
29,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #39

·
Forum Founder
29,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Good luck with the Toniq. It makes sense since you are starting a new business. But the challenge with those lightweight high power cars is to get the chassis tuning right. Something Caterham has done for some 35years. When you get the chassis sorted out, this thing will fly!
This is why they teamed up with Adrenalin Motorsports and one of the guys (Dave) that was instrumental to the Lotus Elise chassis. There was a lot of design work into the suspension and chassis using CAD.

21 - 40 of 149 Posts