The Lotus Cars Community banner

121 - 140 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
So it has nearly the Power to Weight of a Veyron? More?
Wow, and for 1/53rd of the price.

That's impressive, I assume it'll handle well?
And if you're using a Japanese Mazdaspeed engine one can only think it'll last for a long time. :D

·
Forum Founder
29,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
All those things are true. :)

We went and visited the car builder in September. Saw the newest improvements. Quite nice.

My car should be coming over in early 2010.

·
Registered
963 Posts
All those things are true. :)

We went and visited the car builder in September. Saw the newest improvements. Quite nice.

My car should be coming over in early 2010.
Aww, but all the fun's in building it! :p

Just kidding, as Clarkson said, "Your wife leaves you, she's in bed with the milkman, and you're wondering 'Oh, where's my front suspension unit?'" rotfl

Any projected MPG rates. Emissions? (I have to ask, in this economy I can't afford not to)

·
Forum Founder
29,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
Both the styling and performance have improved since then. Toniq brought in the Lotus engineer to work on the suspension and chassis dynamics.

·
Forum Founder
29,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
Truly either car would be cool, I am a big fan of the Caterham (and Westfield). But I like being different. :)

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Someone translated it in another thread, apparently, they preferred the performance of the Caterham but liked the styling of the Toniq
Basically that is correct, but it was just the conclusion. However, Tim Schrick is aware of comparing apples and oranges in a way:

Caterham: 2.3 liter Cosworth, 260 hp
Toniq R: 2.0 liter Duratec, 203 hp (plus a 'long' rear axle ratio)

This can be subject to changes.

After having tried on the Toniq last month I would say that's the one to go for.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Basically that is correct, but it was just the conclusion. However, Tim Schrick is aware of comparing apples and oranges in a way:

After having tried on the Toniq last month I would say that's the one to go for.
Have you driven a similar spec Caterham?

·
Registered
963 Posts

Danke. :D

But Seeing as how Mr. Chases Toniq will be approximately 300hp, the performance is bound to be much better than the one in D-Motor's video.

Whereas the Caterham R500 (Which I assume to be a better model) cranks 263, but is lighter for a better power-to-weight? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

In terms of power to weight, however, the R500 is 263HP/1115.5Lbs, meaning .23 Horsepower per Pound. Mr. Chases Toniq, therefore, would be projected to have 300HP/1100Lbs meaning .27(Repeated) Horsepower per pound. So if the final Toniq build is relatively close to the projection, the Toniq would be superior in terms of performance.

And this is the R500 model, the 260 CSR Superlight is 100 pounds heavier with 260 horsepower, which is still heavier with less horsepower.
I'm sure the Caterham is still a blast to drive, but I'm a numbers person, and from the numbers standpoint, the Performance of the Toniq is slightly superior.

No offense to any Caterham owners, you've got good taste. :)

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Danke. :D

But Seeing as how Mr. Chases Toniq will be approximately 300hp, the performance is bound to be much better than the one in D-Motor's video.

Whereas the Caterham R500 (Which I assume to be a better model) cranks 263, but is lighter for a better power-to-weight? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

In terms of power to weight, however, the R500 is 263HP/1115.5Lbs, meaning .23 Horsepower per Pound. Mr. Chases Toniq, therefore, would be projected to have 300HP/1100Lbs meaning .27(Repeated) Horsepower per pound. So if the final Toniq build is relatively close to the projection, the Toniq would be superior in terms of performance.

And this is the R500 model, the 260 CSR Superlight is 100 pounds heavier with 260 horsepower, which is still heavier with less horsepower.
I'm sure the Caterham is still a blast to drive, but I'm a numbers person, and from the numbers standpoint, the Performance of the Toniq is slightly superior.

No offense to any Caterham owners, you've got good taste. :)

You're a numbers person because you are young and don't have a lot of experience, no offense.

First off, Randy is custom building his car up to 300hp, so if you want numbers you can get 300hp in a Caterham too, you're not limited to the motors that they sell you

Secondly, on these cars, often less is more, many consider the lower powered cars better to drive. (My car with a "mere" 200hp is enough to smoke most cars and sufficiently scare the sh!t out of me)

Third, neither car is better than the other, it is really personal preference

·
Forum Founder
29,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
Mine will have too much power. Stupid really.

I can live with that.

·
Registered
963 Posts
You're a numbers person because you are young and don't have a lot of experience, no offense.

First off, Randy is custom building his car up to 300hp, so if you want numbers you can get 300hp in a Caterham too, you're not limited to the motors that they sell you

Secondly, on these cars, often less is more, many consider the lower powered cars better to drive.

Third, neither car is better than the other, it is really personal preference
Well, considering I was talking about Mr. Chase's Toniq vs various Standard Caterham models, yes the numbers speak for themselves.

No, I'm a numbers person because I'm good at math, it's universal, and unlike "Personal memories", numbers will never fail you.

However, I do see your point, and it's extremely valid.
But if it's a lower powered car you want, then Toniq R Specs
Even less weight, and less power. So I can only assume people would find this enjoyable as well? :shrug:

Don't take this the wrong way, I'm in NO WAY Anti-Caterham, I love them too. As soon as I could afford one it'd be my first little "Weekend Toy". The feel of it all just makes sense. :D

To be honest I envy you for having one.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Well, considering I was talking about Mr. Chase's Toniq vs various Standard Caterham models, yes the numbers speak for themselves.
Right, but the point was that Randy's car doesn't sound like it is going to be a "standard model", so you can't really compare it to a standard Caterham

No, I'm a numbers person because I'm good at math, it's universal, and unlike "Personal memories", numbers will never fail you.
Numbers don't tell the whole story when it comes to cars (and many other things in life)

121 - 140 of 149 Posts