The Lotus Cars Community banner

141 - 149 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Right, but the point was that Randy's car doesn't sound like it is going to be a "standard model", so you can't really compare it to a standard Caterham

Numbers don't tell the whole story when it comes to cars (and many other things in life)
Well the difference is 40 more horsepower and 100 less pounds of weight, if you can add 40 horsepower and shed 100 pounds of weight to a Caterham and you could track it against a Toniq R, in all honesty, I'd LOVE to see that matchup. :D

My point being, what are you going to compare it to? Even the highest Caterham doesn't compare so you'd have to find such a Caterham to match.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
My point being, what are you going to compare it to? Even the highest Caterham doesn't compare so you'd have to find such a Caterham to match.
There are plenty of Caterhams out there running everything from turbo miata engine all the way to chevy small block V8s. The fun thing about 7s are that the basic config is just a rough blueprint - each owner customizes it to his/her tastes and no two cars are alike. The closest "standard" config that comes to mind is a supercharged WCM Ultralite S2k with [email protected]

·
Registered
963 Posts
There are plenty of Caterhams out there running everything from turbo miata engine all the way to chevy small block V8s. The fun thing about 7s are that the basic config is just a rough blueprint - each owner customizes it to his/her tastes and no two cars are alike. The closest "standard" config that comes to mind is a supercharged WCM Ultralite S2k with [email protected]
Ah, well I still like the styling of the Toniq better. ;)

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Well the difference is 40 more horsepower and 100 less pounds of weight, if you can add 40 horsepower and shed 100 pounds of weight to a Caterham and you could track it against a Toniq R, in all honesty, I'd LOVE to see that matchup. :D
Where do you get that it is 100lbs lighter and 40hp more? Last we heard Randy's car only exists in mid build, and he was estimating the weight at 1100 lbs (An R500 is 1115 lbs) and is planning on running the same kind of Duratec motor as the R500, so will have the exact same power options as one would have in a Caterham

You can do all the power to weight math you want, but that is not going to tell you how the car puts down the power, how it handles, brakes, responsiveness, gear ratios, final drive ratios, settings, how it communicates etc., not to mention the variables added depending on the course you're driving. The numbers don't tell the whole story. There are plenty of cars out there that sound awesome on paper but are a let down to drive

On such a light front engined car like this, you can have a ton of power, but it doesn't mean you're going to be able to put it to the ground, especially when exiting corners. You might even end up going slower because you lose time spinning the tires or sliding sideways, etc..

Again, neither car is better and personally, I can't wait until Randy gets this car and comes out to play with the rest of us loonies

·
Forum Founder
29,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #146

·
Registered
963 Posts
Where do you get that it is 100lbs lighter and 40hp more? Last we heard Randy's car only exists in mid build, and he was estimating the weight at 1100 lbs (An R500 is 1115 lbs) and is planning on running the same kind of Duratec motor as the R500, so will have the exact same power options as one would have in a Caterham

You can do all the power to weight math you want, but that is not going to tell you how the car puts down the power, how it handles, brakes, responsiveness, gear ratios, final drive ratios, settings, how it communicates etc., not to mention the variables added depending on the course you're driving. The numbers don't tell the whole story. There are plenty of cars out there that sound awesome on paper but are a let down to drive

On such a light front engined car like this, you can have a ton of power, but it doesn't mean you're going to be able to put it to the ground, especially when exiting corners. You might even end up going slower because you lose time spinning the tires or sliding sideways, etc..

Again, neither car is better and personally, I can't wait until Randy gets this car and comes out to play with the rest of us loonies
Which is why I said "Projected values and estimates" countless times...jeez, no need to argue over such a meaningless topic. If I had a dollar for every "Who's car is better" Argument... :rolleyes:
But another Caterham I looked up (CSR 260 I think?) is 1286, that's where I get 100 pounds lighter, actually now it's 186 pounds lighter, meaning a Toniq + Me = Caterham CSR 260. :p

141 - 149 of 149 Posts