The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I let my dad test-drive my Evora today, and when we were done the doors wouldn't lock when I pressed the remote. When I looked closely, I noticed the car thinks the door is ajar (it isn't), and the window won't roll back up the little bit it rolls down when you open the door.

Is this a common problem or is there a way to reset the computer or something? I considered disconnecting and reconnecting the battery, but I wasn't sure if that would cause any other problems.

Its going to rain tonight, so I'm not sure what to do about the window being down.

·
Registered
568 Posts
The window not rolling up happened to me after I left my car for the summer and had to jump start it. I guess it reset itself after a couple of days and now it goes back up like it should.

If it's only one window, manually roll up the window from the inside and and exit the car from the other side. If it's 2 windows, I don't know what to tell you.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah, ok, I thought the door latch problem was more of a "won't function at all" type problem. Thats good to know.

For anyone reading this in the future, we found that with the door open we can put a screw driver in the latch and press on the latch so it snaps shut. By pressing the latch a bit farther, the car will register the door as being shut.

For now I'll be disconnecting the battery when we park, which kind of sucks because I park in a public garage. I guess I'll get familiar with the trunk emergency release.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is a follow up... My car had the driver's side door latch replaced during Hurricane Sandy. I picked the car up and now the latch is 'crunchy', but it was working fine at first. Its odd the driver's side latch opens with a very forceful and audible clunk, but the passenger side opens with a very smooth pull.

I noticed the door latch button the drivers side sticks up about an inch even when the door is locked, compared to barely being visible on the passenger side. Its a bit annoying they are unbalanced.

Eventually I started noticing the lock wasn't unlocking smoothly automatically, and I would have to pull the lock tab up manually. The black anodization had also worn off the pin on the window side.

Recently I took the car to a parking garage in Manhattan. The shop was fine, the car was left on the first floor right in the entrance, ready to go when I came to get it. The only problem is they parked the passenger side right up against the wall, and the driver's side lock wouldn't release with the remote. Even the key wouldn't move the lock far enough the first many times I tried. It ended up taking a few minutes of fiddling to get the door unlocked. It was pretty embarassing.

I guess the car will be going back for more work. Does anyone know of older cars being upgraded to the new late-2012 lock system? Is that even possible?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Well, it is still a problem with 2012 models as well. Mine is a Dec 2011 build. Had the same problem early with the door "pin" not coming all the way up on driver's side. WD40 or silicone lube is the solution. It is just a friction problem. My service guy said they have tried other fixes, but just lube is the best. I have also had the indicator come on saying the door is open when it wasn't. Apparently this is a well recognized problem and the door sensor needs to be replaced. They went ahead and ordered a new one without even looking at the car as they noted a recent Lotus service update had indicated it was a recognized problem. I think there is a range of "failure" on this one. Mine just indicated door open and then the alarm would not work properly. I am just not arming the alarm until it is replaced. Others have had the car think the door is open and thus left on interior lights which of course quickly drain the battery. I am driving my other car until fixed and not setting the alarm when I exit to avoid the more severe problem--hope that helps--others here may have additional updates.

·
Premium Member
2,171 Posts
I'm having a problem now too. The driver's door will unlock manually with the key but not the fob. Since I have to return to the dealer's for a bunch of other things, I'll have them take care of this.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Based upon my experience, I definitely would not ignore a crunchy or stiff door latch. It's not supposed to be that way and can/should be corrected. If the mechanism breaks due to the extra force you're having to apply to open it, it can lead to a tricky repair. As with so many things, prevention and early detection are key.

As others have suggested I periodically spray WD40 on the actual latch mechanism which seems to keep the door handle action smooth. Additionally I removed the door pin and applied several coats of paint sealant (fancy wax basically) to reduce friction - which seemed to eliminate the unlocking problems. That combo has worked well for me so far. Easy, fast, and cheap.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I've had the driver's door latch replaced once and passenger twice now...passenger door has gotten stuck shut on numerous occasions, and this last time was acting up due to a faulty sensor in the latch.

Definitely be proactive in getting them replaced as soon as they start to be finicky.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'm on #2 driver and #3 passengerside latches defineately get them fixed if you are getting the door ajar message as it will drain your battery pretty quickly and if you also have one of the defective emergency trunk release cables you will have an even more frustrating problem as I can attest to. Like most classic english design parts eventually you'll get a good latch and your problem should be solved.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
There's your problem right there. You door thinks it's a jar. You have to teach it to understand it's not a jar, but a door. You can start training it just like you would a dog. Everytime you touch it say... "good door... good door." Then give it a treat. Soon your door will understand it really is a door and not a jar.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I had the same issue. Went for a drive every 6 hours to make sure the battery didn't die.

Fixed by the dealer, took a couple of visits. The dealer had to do a ton of tweaking, a hammer was involved. He thought it was the Texas heat messing the latch.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

1 - 13 of 13 Posts