The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok it's an easy mod but I always see people asking about it. So I decided to remove the canister, valve and purge solenoid and brackets. All the items with a Red X had to go.

fuel pic.JPG

All the vapor emissions all use a push button style quick connect so your finger tip or a small screwdriver will work to push and hen pull apart.

The items you'll need

1. Breather Valve ( I used a universal motorcycle about $10)

2. Emission caps say $3

3. Adapter fitting $2

4. Sealant optional $4

5. 47K Ohm resistors $1

Total 15-20 I guess

DSCN1535.JPG

DSCN1551.JPG

The open line that went to the throttle body will have to be caped off. At the time I was doing this I was capping off several ports on the TB at the same time so I purchased a family of end caps and just kept trying till i found the correct one.

To prevent a check engine light you will need to wire in a resistor in place of items 6, and 21. i believe it was about 40k Ohms when I measure them so I used something similar from radio shack.

The adapter used had a 3/16 barb which worked great to attach to the tube that came with the new valve. Before or after you put those together you can try test the valve, I thought mine would be undersized for the application but it was defiantly able to always take in more than enough air (compensate for the fuel you pump out) and would relieve pressure very slowly when it was high enough (deals with high vapor pressure in the tanks when the car is not running).

DSCN1552.JPG

So, Next Cut Line #10 close to the connector, this leads back to the tank and s what we will attach the breather valve to. I put some RTV on the pipe side threads of my adapter before I spun it inside the breather tube going back to the tank.

Zip tie or secure how ever you like out of the way and your done!

DSCN1556.JPG

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,072 Posts
You really don't need to cut the breather hose.

Instead, I pushed a piece of tubing into the breather hose connection head which ran towards the back of the car. I did not use a one-way valve.
-Robert

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Instead, I pushed a piece of tubing into the breather hose connection head which ran towards the back of the car. I did not use a one-way valve.
-Robert
Where did you run the tube? The valve is to prevent loosing fuel, for the couple of us that left the vent hose open to atmosphere noticed a slight dip in gas mileage.

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
what's the point of doing this mod?

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
it makes your car stink like gas with worse gas millage, ... for a few lbs weight savings. not really worth it imho, especially for us in CA

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,072 Posts

-Robert
I tried this for 2 weeks and put the CC back in because my fuel mileage decreased and it vents vapor to the atmosphere.
-Robert

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried this for 2 weeks and put the CC back in because my fuel mileage decreased and it vents vapor to the atmosphere.
-Robert
That's actually the point of the valve, lets the gas out, or in and retains the fuel. So you get the weight savings with no drop in mileage

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I believe there is no performance advantage other than a slight weight savings? Thanks for the write up because there are those that are interested in doing this.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I believe there is no performance advantage other than a slight weight savings? Thanks for the write up because there are those that are interested in doing this.
Yeah there is no real performance from it, just pure weight savings. With all the brackets and everything I think it's like 6lbs. I personally also like to clean up the engine bay and or give you some space to mount other mods.

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
I think ya'll may be missing something here.

First and foremost, you won't be venting gas out if you just block the breather where the motorcycle breather was added. That's right, cap it off;)... The gas cap, just like most gas caps is a one way valve. It only allows air to flow INTO the tank, not out of it. You will NOT have gas fumes coming out of the tank if you do this.

Conversely, the big breather line that comes out of the tank with the MC breather on it allows air to escape OUT of the tank... Long and short of it is that if you're experience gas fumes from this mod, just make the system closed by blocking off the big breather. The gas cap will allow plenty of air in the tank as it's needed...

Benefits from this mod? Weight, ease of maintainance from less clutter in the engine bay, cleaner appearance, etc... As mentioned several times before, many folks spends 100s if not 1,000s of $$$ to save 4-5 lbs, in this case it's free and has no adverse effects if done correctly...

Cheers,

Phil

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think ya'll may be missing something here.

First and foremost, you won't be venting gas out if you just block the breather where the motorcycle breather was added. That's right, cap it off;)... The gas cap, just like most gas caps is a one way valve. It only allows air to flow INTO the tank, not out of it. You will NOT have gas fumes coming out of the tank if you do this.

Conversely, the big breather line that comes out of the tank with the MC breather on it allows air to escape OUT of the tank... Long and short of it is that if you're experience gas fumes from this mod, just make the system closed by blocking off the big breather. The gas cap will allow plenty of air in the tank as it's needed...

Benefits from this mod? Weight, ease of maintainance from less clutter in the engine bay, cleaner appearance, etc... As mentioned several times before, many folks spends 100s if not 1,000s of $$$ to save 4-5 lbs, in this case it's free and has no adverse effects if done correctly...

Cheers,

Phil
I wasn't sure if the gas cap would let enough air in so i went with the valve. Plus just in case the valve will also relieve excess high pressure (probably a ball and spring inside)

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
-4.269 lbs. savings to be exact ;)

thats is? i can lose that by skipping lunch... and its free! Maybe I should start my own thread :shrug:

"Nates Lunch-Delete Mod"

What you'll need:

Nothing

Step 1. Don't eat lunch

·
Registered
806 Posts

just to make sure it is clear and known:
the original main purpose of this device that is being removed is to take the fuel that evaporates in the fuel tank and collects there and redirect it to be used in the engine, so that the fuel vapors don't collect in the tank and escape when you open the fuel tank to refuel or when the resulting pressure build-up needs to be relieved, and thus to prevent emitting the fuel vapor to the environment (with the side benefit of minor fuel savings). with this removal, you will be releasing the fuel fumes to the environment and polluting every time you refuel.

the amounts are small, and were it not for the regulations, and this already being in the car, and the ECU looking for it, i personally wouldn't want to have this device. but i just thought people may want to know the full story of why it was there it the first place, because the posts so far almost make it sound as though it is a pointless device.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Best part of this mod is that it allows you to put a Odyssey battery where the charcoal canister used to be. Just did it, fits perfectly, even more room than before with the battery model 625 and the bracket from Turbophil. To compensate for the decrease in fuel economy and vapor loss I had to ride my bike to work for a week while had the clam off for this and other mods. EVeryones happy !

Incidentally, as far as I know I am the only persone with VF2 Supercharger and the clam hinge. Critical to get battery out of the boot with clam hinge, otherwise you always battling the battery weight and the wires. Only issue is the the clamhinge bar that goes across the boot hinges doesnt fit, the intercooler tubes are in the way. I had to have a smaller bar made at a metal fabrication place, $65.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts