The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My n7 project is done, I do apologize on the images and will put some daytime picture up with a cleaner screen. I also have a video but dont know how to attach it. If you have any questions about the build or the tablet just ask.

I figure this was better suited here as its not really a radio, and can by used for a in dash ECU data logger as well.

Few things about this dash.

1) Its made local to me in Orlando FL and he said he'd be happy to make more for any members but not to mention price.
3) He hand created the pin holes to match the original look and I can not tell the difference.
4) The paint is a bit shiny, I decided to put a clear coat on mine, so mine is extra shiny. IMO it really does not stand out at all.
5) This will not fit with a n7 first gen, only second gen.
6) The tablet comes in and out easily and has a slot for the usb charge.
7) I have a hack kernel on my tablet so that it reacts with the ignition and has many cool features you can not get with a stock kernel.
8) He made the ac vents fully functional, just reduce them in half. He added plastic to keep the air contained and not to leak out. They can be tuned down and it does block the air well.
9) I physically cut and removed the screw tabs as I realized the air bag covers the radio surround as well as the steering column does. To remove the dash I just undo the steering column and slide it out. My preference.
10) its reversible if you buy a new surround.

unbiased notes: I have to say this was a nice price IMO, very rock solid build and better then I could of hoped for.

Greg said its ok to email him, just mention Sean sent you.
Electronics depot Inc
1240 W SR 436
Altamonte springs Florida 32714
407-657-1010
[email protected]
Contact Greg or Patrick

Attachments

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are a few more images.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I glad to see people trying new things! My only gripe is it looks a bit "unfinished". Like someone sawed the hole bigger and left it. I think if the n7 sat out farther it might help, but overall great job!

·
Wow Such Admin
6,931 Posts
I glad to see people trying new things! My only gripe is it looks a bit "unfinished". Like someone sawed the hole bigger and left it. I think if the n7 sat out farther it might help, but overall great job!
I agree here. I like it, but it looks unfinished, especially the vents.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I think the pictures to come may reveal it a bit better. These don't do it Justis at all. The vents do come to a quick 90 angle cut but that could be a future improvement now that its finished and understood. It had to be sunk in to that depth do to physical limitations (i.e the power cord), that and the fact there would be a hug lip over the bottom part or you would have to angle it down. Also if it were not flush back like that, there would be way too much sun glare.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
The glove boxes are made by LotusShii on the forum. I've got one and it's awesome.

As for the build - great idea and I miss my double din, but I can't help but think that it does look 'unfinished'. To me, it looks aftermarket.

That said, it does the job! Do you use it with a cellular connection? Any issues with dead zones?

·
V EQLS IR
331 Posts
just a heads up, maybe this is already done for yours but...
[EDIT] lol, reading comprehension fail - i see that yours does in fact have a kernel replacement - i'll go ahead and leave this post up for others in case it helps![/EDIT]

There is a Kernel+ROM for the nexus 7's (both 2012 and 2013) that are specific for in-car use and turn the thing into a true head unit that never needs to be removed. The 2012 version was free but now he charges 30EUR for the 2013 version. I run the 2012 in my DD.

It does the following:
- auto on/off (suspend) when USB power is applied, so it's a lot more like a 'real' stereo
- lasts for weeks on suspend mode (in my experience), then charges up on your first drive after that.
- USB HOST+Charging - lets you use a usb hub for external HDD (music) plus a USB DAC for quality audio, all while charging when driving
- USB audio on boot (see above point for why this is important)
- plus a lot more...

some links:
Nexus 7 2013 Timur's Kernel USB OTG + Chargi… | Nexus 7 (2013) | XDA Forum
https://timur.mobi/timurs-kernel-n7-2013/

hope that helps someone out there!

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Do you use it with a cellular connection? Any issues with dead zones?
I use tablet talk to my phone to make calls. Also tether if I need it. However lately the bright house hotspot wifi is so common I pick it up everywhere, so its normally already on line.

Yeah afex, timurs mod is a must have.

The 2012 version was free but now he charges 30EUR for the 2013 version. I run the 2012 in my DD.
This is actually illegal. I tried to wait long enough for the GNU to come down on him but I had to give in. Not like it's expensive is just very very unethical and I hate contributing to that. A kernel is used to run a tablet, its like the OS. In this case he took google Kernel and modified it for personal gain. Nothing wrong with that but its a GLP v2 licenses and that licenses clearly states if you wish to profit you must included free copy of the source on the page where you offer it for a cost. Thus anyone "should" be able to have it for free if they can build from source. Figure that is worth pointing out as again, its just shamefully wrong! A side from that its the best kernel you will find.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Here is why it looks unfinished.

The first image is how I have it, the second would be hard to see and the 3rd would create a large over hang at the bottom, and get way too much sun glare. Granted a normal tablet or true DD size radio would fit better. Its just that these n7(second gen's) take up a lot of area, actually the area had to be widened as well. If I went any higher the AC vent would have to have come out. That of course can be an option.

Attachments

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Few day time shots.

Attachments

·
Registered
676 Posts
You are definitely brave. That's all I can say

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
I still think it looks unfinished - particularly at the top where it meets the vents. Sorry if that's harsh, but just being honest.

That being said, the functionality is great. Soon we'll have the days when Apple CarPlay and/or similar setups are common - that is, your phone will power a generic head unit which is effectively just a display unit. The phone will have the bluetooth phone, music, nav, traffic, video (for rear seat projection in other cars, etc).

The fact that nav/entertainment/bluetooth 'systems' have been in cars (from the manufacturer) for 10 years now and, were like a $4K 10 years ago and are STILL a $4K option is beyond ridiculous. A simple $150 pad screen with a couple of apps connected to an amp/speakers/sub can do the trick better.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
No I agree with your thoughts, it just does not bother me. I'd like to see someone do better and see what they do. The n7 2gen is really big. I have been using a commuter in a car since 2000. It started with a laptop under the seat of an mr2, to a speaker box I made with a built in docking station. Then I moved to a windows based tablet and now android. I-products are not much good as they are so protective over what users want to do with them, but with android? Thus far it does everything you mention (except the rear seat bit)plus a lot more. I'm done with radios...

·
Registered
280 Posts
I think part of the reason it looks strange is the fact that the center airduct piece looks like it has been shellacked. It looks shiny. The shine shows every imperfection.
The wavy aspect of the vent doors (plus shine) makes it look like it has melted or something. Why not remove the vent doors. That is the part that looks funny.

I also have to say that your speakers on the dash look horrible, and I know you must see the reflection of those monsters in the windshield.

I hope you see these comments as friendly. Because that's what they are.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I agree with the others. I cringed on first look. I think if you rolled the edges under the vents where it transitions to the nexus, it would look much better. Also ditch the shine.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mr Coughy, I think its just preference. I dont notice the speakers or the vent look, i'd rather have them working.

As for the shine, does anyone here know how to flatten shine? I too dont dig the shiny look but dont know how to take out the shine a bit.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts