The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An old friend of my dad's used to own an elan (many many years ago). Well, he and his wife are semi-retired and leaving the country for good. Sold their big beautiful house near Santa Barbara (for some ludicrous amount), and bought a house boat to tour around europe to their hearts content.:cool:

This has of course forced them to consolidate their positions. Knowing that my dad and I were buying new loti, they mailed some old lotus history books to us. It was an incredibly sweet gift and we called him immediately to thank him.

Well, the story gets better. I've been so wrapped up in fiat matters that i hadnt a chance to look at the books. Well, my dad comes to my house a few days later and cracks one open to have a read. That is when he saw it:

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Turns out that 2 of the 5 books have his signature. All I can say is, wow!!!

And my dad gave me the books :) My dad is the coolest :cool:

Yay AW :clap:

P.S. He also bought me an aluminum race jack for an early b-day gift (as I'll be out of town on my b-day). Isnt that sweet! I always wanted an aluminum race jack :D

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Congrats MW!! Those are awesome gifts! And I'm completely jealous that you got an aluminum race jack! I want one!!! You definitely have one very "hip" Dad!

Bob

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
What a great gift from a friend, and an even better surprise.

You have a cool dad and he has a cool daughter.

I think he better warn your boyfriends to give you an assortment of metric sockets for Valentines Day instead of an assortment of chocolates so that they can get on your good side.

I bet your fathers friend didnt know what he was doing...He could have gotten a fortune for those books on Ebay:eek:

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
xxxotic said:

I think he better warn your boyfriends to give you an assortment of metric sockets for Valentines Day instead of an assortment of chocolates so that they can get on your good side.
They already know! All I say is, think about what you would want to buy yourself as a gift, and guaranteed I'll want it too. No confusion here...I like practical gifts (e.g. power tools, aftermarket car parts, car models, trips to racing school, pit passes, etc.)

xxxotic said:

I bet your fathers friend didnt know what he was doing...He could have gotten a fortune for those books on Ebay:eek:
It would be sad to see these books on ebay. I'm really honored to be given these books. Knowing Bill, he probably knew what they were worth!

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Modern Wedgie said:
I like practical gifts (e.g. power tools, aftermarket car parts, car models, trips to racing school, pit passes, etc.)
i like your definition of practical gifts (car models, trips to racing school, pit passes). you are cool! :)

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
huggy bear said:
i like your definition of practical gifts (car models, trips to racing school, pit passes). you are cool! :)
Sadly not the kind of genes that proliferate that half of the species :D

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Modern Wedgie said:
Lillie, that's fantastic. They fell into good hands!

It's a little weird though. Not 5 minutes ago, I posted on another thread here about that same book and the follow-on book by Doug Nye, covering years 1961-1971. I've had these books for over 30 years and probably haven't pulled them of the shelf in 5 years. Unfortunately, mine aren't signed by ACBC. :(

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Chris,

I have the later book that you are referring to as well, also signed by ACBC.

The other 3 books are unsigned. One is about the Lotus Elan, one is about the Elan and the Europa, and the third is about Emerson Fittipaldi.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts