The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got off the phone with Vincent Golde at British Motor Cars in San Francisco. I was told that Lotus was cutting back on initial production and that he was now only getting 2 cars a month. I am #14 there and, as of 2 weeks ago, I was slated for an October or November delivery. He said now I'm looking at December or January. Anybody else with British Motor Cars hear of this?

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Sounds like BS to me. There will be one month of no production. If he's saying January, that means they're only alotting 2-3 cars per month (not including the off month) to their waiting list. I doubt they are only getting 2 cars per month. More likely 5-6 cars. This means they're saving half their cars for walk-ins and doubling your wait time.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I would wonder if he just knows the very early builds, which indeed may have been reduced from earlier expectations, and is extrapolating that out for the rest of the year.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I have posted this before but no-one listens ;) My dealer has told me nothing but truths for the couple of years I have been waiting. He has told me that they are expecting 6 cars this YEAR. Not all the dealership are going to be supplied the same number of cars. Admittedly this information is now some months old but I don't expect anything to have changed.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I concur. I've heard 9 cars between first delivery and end of this year (Dec 31) for another dealer.

Don't be suprised if your dealer only receives 10 cars between now and year end, with ramp up starting next year (Jan)

·
Registered
95 Posts
elongated delivery dates???

I just got off the phone with Steve Brown of Behlman Lotus. As of last week, he is handling all Elise sales through the dealership. At, #17, my projected delivery date is now November '04. He indicated he has received confirmation for the first 11 cars (1 dealer car and 10 customer cars) that will be delivered in July through October. Thereafter 3-4 cars a month shipped to the dealership. The wait continues to be frustrating given the constant movement in delivery dates that I have received: I've been told June >July>August>September>October and now November as the delivery date, all the while moving up the list as earlier customers drop from the list?

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Re: elongated delivery dates???

Ralbertina said:
I just got off the phone with Steve Brown of Behlman Lotus. As of last week, he is handling all Elise sales through the dealership. At, #17, my projected delivery date is now November '04. He indicated he has received confirmation for the first 11 cars (1 dealer car and 10 customer cars) that will be delivered in July through October. Thereafter 3-4 cars a month shipped to the dealership. The wait continues to be frustrating given the constant movement in delivery dates that I have received: I've been told June >July>August>September>October and now November as the delivery date, all the while moving up the list as earlier customers drop from the list?
if you were #17 I'd have to think your dealership was quite irresponsible if they ever promised you a June or even July delivery

:confused:

·
Registered
84 Posts
adamant said:
I have posted this before but no-one listens ;) My dealer has told me nothing but truths for the couple of years I have been waiting. He has told me that they are expecting 6 cars this YEAR. Not all the dealership are going to be supplied the same number of cars. Admittedly this information is now some months old but I don't expect anything to have changed.
Ruh roh!

The latest "educated guess" I heard from Tim at Steve Harris Imports (about a month ago) is approximately Jan/Feb '05 for my #38 spot (placed mid-November '03); this doesn't gybe with your comment above. Argh. Ick! When Lotus said 2,000-odd cars per year, did they really mean 2005? 2004 doesn't look to be seeing very many of them...

-Knute

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Knute said:
When Lotus said 2,000-odd cars per year, did they really mean 2005? 2004 doesn't look to be seeing very many of them...

-Knute
I think they meant the 12 months after introduction.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I was #76 on the list at Smith Lotus, but 16 have dropped from the list since they are saying that #50 car will be in near 2006.... If this is the case.... I'm buying a Noble or S4s Esprit becase I don't feel like waiting another 2 years or have to pay $50K for an Elise...

We'll see....

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Balance- Sounds like a reasonable time frame for #14. I'm #11 at SVAG, in Los Gatos. There expecting around 15 for the first four months. Delivery date for me is Sept. At full production they getting around 85 cars per year. San Francisco is a new Lotus dealership. Boardwalk in Redwood City was only expecting to get 25-30 cars per year. The slow ramp up the first 3-4 months isn't helping to get them quick but hopefully they will be well built.

·
purveyor of lightness
4,133 Posts
Re: elongated delivery dates???

Ralbertina said:
So therefore if I'm #73 on the list... I'll get my Elise between December 2005 and May 2006... that's 19 to 24 months from now... :huh:

That would be a hell of a thing getting a 2005 car when the 2006's and 2007's are being delivered... :( :( :(

This sucks - I hope that 45 people drop out in the middle... I was hoping to get the car before next auto-x season... March 2005 would be great... not Devember 2005.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Randy Chase said:
I think they meant the 12 months after introduction.
Yeah, I know- the production year, but what I meant to say was _ONLY_ 2005- the April-April production year for the 2005 models really only has 4 months in 2005, and if they meet the 2200-odd US production target, the bulk of those cars will be pushed out in just four months. I don't think any of us really guessed how slow the trickle would be from "April" to December of 2004. Or maybe we _knew_ but didn't want to think about it. Argh!

I'm probably just dehydrated from having drooled continuously since I saw the car in person at the LA auto show- that takes its toll, you know!

-Knute

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
A stupid question......

didn't someone from Switzerland report that it took 6 weeks from placing the order to receiving the car just about a month ago? why wouldn't Lotus "spread" some of this capacity as to even out the waiting periods around all of its destributors around the world? It wouldn't make sense to me as a manuafacturer to hold out on one market having lead times in the months and years while supplying the other markets in 6 weeks?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Knute said:
Ruh roh!

The latest "educated guess" I heard from Tim at Steve Harris Imports (about a month ago) is approximately Jan/Feb '05 for my #38 spot (placed mid-November '03); this doesn't gybe with your comment above. Argh. Ick! When Lotus said 2,000-odd cars per year, did they really mean 2005? 2004 doesn't look to be seeing very many of them...

-Knute
I hope he is right! But I just can't see how they are going to get to those numbers in that time. Hopefully production will ramp up. If we are lucky we may see the first customer cars in July.
38 cars to 38 dealers in 6 months means more than 11 cars manufactured per day.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
fredg said:
A stupid question......

didn't someone from Switzerland report that it took 6 weeks from placing the order to receiving the car just about a month ago? why wouldn't Lotus "spread" some of this capacity as to even out the waiting periods around all of its destributors around the world? It wouldn't make sense to me as a manuafacturer to hold out on one market having lead times in the months and years while supplying the other markets in 6 weeks?
The problem, in part, is the suppliers. There are parts which are specific to the US car and not shared with other markets such as the dash.

BTW........ Surferjet, LMAO. I wonder which one of us will get our car first? I should have mine by the end of July (word as of yesterday). How about you?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I understand the dash and a couple of other things are different in the FED Elise from the ROW cars but those are not reasons being given for the slow deliveries, also I believe Lotus expected all alog to sell out their first years production right off the batt so I would believe they would have ordered enough, anyway the deliveries are what they are....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts