The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently took in my car my cam replacement to their shop.
i ended up being disappointed for the following reasons:
a.they damaged my rear clam and did not admit it or fix it.
b.they left out lost a piece of the exhaust shield which i have yet to replace
c.they overcharged me for labor quoting me 12-15 hours charging me 16 by unnecessarily removing the rear clam for cam work.
d.and finally put in cheap unapproved antifreeze.
i spoke to them seeking restitution but none was offered.bottom line not recomended.:no:

·
Registered
856 Posts
c.they overcharged me for labor quoting me 12-15 hours charging me 16 by unnecessarily removing the rear clam for cam work.
i spoke to them seeking restitution but none was offered.bottom line not recomended.:no:
Sorry you had issues with them. I just met them all out at VIR last weekend and they seemed to be knowledgable and honest guys.

From my understanding, you want them to remove the clam to get to the motor, the little mouth of the engine lid is not enough room to do engine work. Not an easy task though, I hear it is a 2 hr job alone to remove and 2 more to replace. And I hear it takes two to actually get it off without damage.

With the clam off the car, I hear it is actually not to tough a job to replace the cam... but what do I know, I have not looked very far into the proceedure.

Sucks about the antifreeze.

I am assuming that you are out of warrenty and that is why you didn't go with a dealer. Did you think about doing it on your own? I HATE using any shop for anything. I like to get down and dirty with my car because it helps me understand the workings more and helps me do my own troubleshooting.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if i could have done it on my own i would,as nobody will care for your car as much a you.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
From my understanding, you want them to remove the clam to get to the motor, the little mouth of the engine lid is not enough room to do engine work.
Hey Dave - no reason whatsoever to remove the clam to do cam work.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Not everyone has all those extra hours to devote to fixing their own car...
Too much time wrecking Ferraris on test drives ;)

I know what you mean. I have been driving on my R888 tires for a week after my track event... I need to get my street set out of my dining room so my wife doesn't kill me!!!

·
Registered
856 Posts
Correct.

In my talks with these guys over the weekend, they said they have been seeing a lot of the cam issues with the lotuses, so much in fact that the Toyota customers of theirs are freaking out.

They said you can do the work with the clam on, but it is so much easier and faster if you remove the clam. They said it is due to being sure all of the timing marks are all lined up... or something like that.

Again, I have not looked into it since I think I am trouble free at the moment... and hope to continue to be.

·
Registered
65 Posts
We typically don't respond to any comments about our services, but in this case we'll make an exception! There are 2 sides to every story...

A) Philipp (yellowlotus) scheduled to drop off and leave his car the day of our Summer Bash. We made special arraignments in our schedule to accommodate Philipp because he was planning to ship his car overseas in 2 weeks following our event. So at the end of the day he comes to me (Ron), gives me the keys, and says there is not a scratch on the car in a very hostile tone. So right off the bat we have a very weird vibe as if he's at our shop under duress.

We don't know him, so we proceed with caution and the next morning we take pictures of the car before we begin any work. It turns out to not be 100% scratch free as Philipp claims and has a number of obvious blemishes, some touched up, some not.

The day after the car was picked up he calls with a complaint the next day about a scratch in the rear clam. I tell him to send me a picture of the area. We look at it and then immediately refer back to our photos because Dana remembers seeing the same blemish during review of the car. It ends up bing one of the same blemishes we noted in our documentation of the car. We politely tell him it was preexisting to which he ask for the time stamp on the photo, a reasonable request. We send him our picture to which he replys “the picture you took sounds like it was pre existing but it may have been taken after the fact.does the picture you took have a date stamp on it?that would further clarify the matter”

Unfortunately, for us, the date on the camera was not set since its last battery change so it says January. Once he hears we don't have an accurate time-stamp, he then proceeds to accuse us of taking the photo after the fact!

We're in the automotive business, we have insurance, and connections to body shops, we also have no reason to take such action to create some kind of cover up. Had we caused the issue, we would have told him about it up front and taken care of it. Accidents happen but that is not the case here. Accusing us of damaging the car and trying to cover it up is not a very good approach to getting help. So at this point it's a matter of principle for us, knowing full well that there might be posts on the boards. He actually says and I quote “...isnt some kind of restitution in order-to keep your good reputation as you say!” Again we have nothing to hide and we will not be blackmailed.

B) The exhaust piece he's referring to never existed in our care, we did notice its absence but there is an aftermarket exhaust on the car, so we can only assume that it was lost during the time of it's installation elsewhere. I specifically mentioned to him on the phone that the car had a consistent rattle around 4K rpm, and asked should we diagnose it. He told me it was there and to leave it as is. Once he got the car back it was apparently noisier than he remembered. So he proceeded to look at his exhaust and notice the missing part. I offered to look at it ASAP and track down where the rattle was coming from (this was Wed) since I knew he was planning to ship his car out of the country that Friday. He told me it was too late. There's not much we can do about his time line to ship the car.

C) We gave him a legitimate “estimate” of 12-15hrs. The job entailed removing the clam. You can debate over the necessity of this but that's what we're comfortable with in making sure the job comes out right. Now there is something to note here. He installed an aftermarket subwoofer and amp in the rear plastic panel. This added time to the clam removal. We had no indication that these items were even installed so they were not part of the original estimate.

D) We did a complete flush of the coolant system and put in new Ethylene Glycol antifreeze.

So in summary.

I told Philipp that we were not going to take responsibility for a scratch or blemish that we knowingly did not cause. Second, the missing exhaust piece had nothing to do with us, but I offered to look at the car and take steps to eliminate the rattle since I had no way of knowing the severity of the existing rattles on the car. Lastly, being 1 hr over on an estimate for items that were not part of the original estimate hardly seems unreasonable.

Speaking of payment, when it came time to pay Philipp tried to give Dana a credit card in someone else's name, whom he claims is his brother, yet they have different last names and the person is not with him. We of course reject the card and he pays by check saying that we're crazy and should take the card with his fraudulent signature. He also comments that there should be enough funds in the bank for his check... Luckily for us there were.

All we can say is good luck to the next person that works on his car... If only their were a customer review thread for shops...hmmm. Honestly, we've been very fortunate and 99% of our customers are very good. We've actually been blessed with some really fabulous customers so we'll consider ourselves lucky!

That's our side of the story and we're sticking to it!

Ron Salb
Synaptic 3 Engineering

·
Vendor
6,305 Posts
I see no reason to remove the clam for any kind of engine work. I've even pulled the engine with clam on let alone removed the cams..rotfl

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Hope you get you issue resolved with them and sorry for the misfortune...

Best,

Phil

·
Super Moderator
3,112 Posts
That' true but some shops aren't comfortable doing the work with the clam on. I know of at least two in this area. To me, that's their prerogative. If the quote is for more hours than your willing to accept, you can always find another shop or do it yourself.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Synaptic3 Engineering WasGreat for Me!

Synaptic installed: the Sector 111 Katana supercharger, ForcedFed engine damper, Defi multi-parameter gauge (water temp, oil temp, fuel press, oil press, speed), PLX devices gauging to monitor engine vac, boost and AFR. They came up with a custom gauging pod which looks great with the car. Also, they inspected the cams for wear and changed the engine and gear oil with Lotus specification oils. They also had the car dynoed to confirm supercharger performance.

My experience was great in every way. Ron, Dana and Jay were knowledgeable and patient in answering my questions and exploring alternatives. Charges for the fairly extensive work were easily within the ballpark of the estimate. Their customer service was extraordinary. When the molding vendor was delayed in producing the gauge pod, and I needed the car on a tight time frame, Ron actually drove it to my house (70 miles) so that I could meet my obligations.

The work performed was of the highest quality. I personally would not hesitate to recommend them for serious work on our cars. I will be working with them again in the spring.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
dont worry Synaptic3 Engineering.
this is the same guy who was trying to sell a set of completely used up AO48
tires
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f95/fs-ad048-tires-58245/

I didnt want to comment intially in his thread, so i PMed him, and let him know that these tires are R compound tires, and are dead well before the milage that he says they have on them. that he is basically selling junk.

he PMed back a totally rude and uncalled for reply that made me think this guy was a total jerk.

SO........... i happily posted in his for sale thread that they were junk, and others who dont know about these tires should not buy them with this mileage.

I am not surprised in the least to hear that this guy not only sucks as a seller of items, but also as a customer as well.

The internet is difficult because one can make an accusation on a vendor, and they are assumed automatically guilty unless they can prove their innocense, but the damage is already done either way.

I wouldnt take much stock in a bashing post from someone that types the way the first post was written.
I think that was the most difficult post i have ever tried to decifer. it was like someone was saying an entire paragraph in one breath.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts