The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
A brother of a friend of mine does these videos comparing cameras, some decent tech stuff. At a recent arcade party I threw he asked to do some filming and he opened with my 355F1 pulling up next to my Lotus and walks into the house as the opening scene. Some of his vids are a few hundred thousand views, this one was just released.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
that's a sweet pad

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can I use some of this money for food?

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
158 Posts
How do you like your 355? I contemplated getting one instead of the Elise, but without a decent garage to work on it (and there's no way I'm paying a specialty shop for maintenance) and the ever-present valve guide issue, I decided to wait.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How do you like your 355? I contemplated getting one instead of the Elise, but without a decent garage to work on it (and there's no way I'm paying a specialty shop for maintenance) and the ever-present valve guide issue, I decided to wait.
Owning both I can tell you an Elise is totally different from a 355, I can't imagine owning either or, they are just so different. If you are unafraid to do major maintenance and repairs and have the garage to do it in then it becomes allot more reasonable to own. A major service, which for the 355 is due every 3 years or 30k miles and costs about $5~6k with no surprises. The parts for a major service are about $1500 so if you are able to drop the rear subframe/driveline then you can spend allot less. And of course the pleasure and satisfaction of doing it yourself. Lacking the garage or skills, your only option is to send it to the shop.

The valve guide issue is one of several gotcha issues that can come up on this car, most exotics have a few of these. The valve guides are generally associated with a number of early year cars. Since one buys these cars with the service documents and a pre purchase inspection if you are doing it right then you can see if the service was done, or if leakdown/compression tests indicate the work is needed. Another area is the headers, they commonly fail on this model and can possibly lead to failed cylinders. The headers are between 4~10k to replace if you catch them as they fail. To prevent this you go to hyperflow lower cats and a straightpipe to replace the upper cats as well as a free flowing muffler, this combo keeps the heat from being trapped in the headers. My car had the headers rebuilt recently with thicker tubes in the failure prone area and I went to hyperflows and a straightpipe, the muffler was already a Tubi. What it comes down to is that cars that look identical and seem to run great can either be very solid, need slight upgrades to prevent issues, or need an easy 30k in repairs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts