The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here're some pictures of my project Lotus Elise. The car was born as a 2005 Elise. When I purchased the car, my immediate plan was to loosely model it after the Exige GT3 concept car and the 2006 Lotus Exige GT3 race car. It's currently sporting a ForcedFed 340 under the hood. I took the car to Dent Werks and widened the rear clam to accommodate 10" wide rear wheels. In addition, they filled in the rear vents and made it VERY clean, so that the shape of the old vents is removed and that allowed them to paint the rear oval very cleanly. I added a GUT Sport rear wing and Reverie/Sector111 5-element carbon fiber diffuser. I changed the front end to an 2007+ Exige front end and filled in the turn signals, and also moved the signals into the headlight housing as the third light; hence switching to a 2007+ Exige clam and headlights. The Exige front lip is carbon fiber, also from Sector111. I converted all the plastic fins to Exige mesh grills. Wheels are HRE 546 series, 17x7 fronts and 18x10 rear, wrapped with Toyo R888s. The car was painted in Audi Jet Blue Metallic, which is exclusive only to the R8 sportscars. Instead of Star Shield, I used Venture Shield all around the car in the factory locations for protection. Venture Shield is more more durable than Star Shield and will not turn yellow over time either.

The suspension and brakes are the next major ticket items on my list, which I'm working with Allen and Stephan at Lotus Beverly Hills to do. I already have a set of AP Racing Cup Car front brakes on order, and Allen is building a set of Ohlins suspension designed for the wider contact patch and increased power of my car, which should be going on my car in the next month or so. The factory suspension just isn't up to the task for this car.

The interior is also done up, with full alcantara dash and side panels, and alcantara-covered factory steering wheel (one of my favorite pieces). The light biscuit stitching adds a nice touch for the front dash. The Exige seats are from Lotus trim shop, same color pattern as the factory Elise biscuit seats with Lotus emblem and Lotus Sport badging stitched on. ICE components are comprised of the JVC nav unit, MB Quartz front and rear speakers, JL 8" subwoofer (thanks to Chuck Risen for supplying the sub enclosure :clap:), and two amps located in the trunk.

Major props to Dent Werks for building the car, especially the widebody. They basically built it from scratch using the Reverie arches as a template, but it looks much more factory than the Reverie and is also wider than the Reverie setup. Julio at Dent Werks made the whole process very easy to work with and was more than accommodating, by far the best bodyshop experience I've ever had. His fiberglass and paint work speaks for itself, the car looks amazing. I would hit him up if you guys are ever in need of any type of fiberglass work, either with building a widebody or filling in the front turn signals, or clam repair, or just need a new paint job. They are based in West Los Angeles, near the corner of La Cienega and Pico. They've also gotten a lot of positive feedback from members of this forum who've done business with them for repair work.

The car is not 100% done, but then again, what project car is ever fully complete? ;) I'll be posting more pics over the months.

Ok I'll shut up now, here's the damn pics from the Eurocrave car show in Long Beach :) I was rolling with the Europrojektz crew to hang out with one of my buddies, he has the 4-door 3-series.

Under the skirt shot :eek:

Here's another shot from Supercar Sunday today. I went with Jamey (Jamncali) and his questionably-heterosexual yellow Exige ;)

·
Premium Member
4,550 Posts
I've seen this car in person...looks amazing...best and cleanest widebody on a car I've ever seen...nice job!
Taking it to SEMA?

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Saw the car today at SCS and it looks awesome, the photos don't do it nor the color justice

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How badly does it understeer?
It doesn't feel any worse than factory but I haven't pushed the car hard... yet :D Body roll is slightly worse with the taller tires, especially through the sweepers. I'm coming off factory suspension with the Yokohama Neova tires though, it's hard for me to break it down apples to apples especially since I'm running R-compounds now.

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
:eek:...

I think that's the best looking Elise I've ever seen... :bow:

I'd say 60% of that is because of the Exige front clam, 20% because of the GUT wing, 10% because of the wide fenders, and 5% because of the color.... AND 5% because the signal lights are gone! I just noticed that!!

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
That is just sick!!!!! Removing the rear vents and painting the oval black is a great improvement to the Lotus design.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Are you using the VonHep rear panel eliminator with the 5-element?

S111 told me it couldn't be done.... :mad:

·
Registered
648 Posts
It always looks so much nicer when you remove the turn signals from the front end. Very nice work.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Been watching the build up of your car since you brought it in. Truly great work. Looks great. Julio does some amazing work.

I was wondering what you were doing about suspension and brakes. You definitely need to get that sorted.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Big fan of the GT3. Well done!! :clap:

Can you please post a straight on rear shot? Thx.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts