The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a man at MSR Cresson taking photos of me while tracking. I had no idea what it was for. There was an HPDE event that cancelled for the 1.3 mile road course and I just assumed that the photographer didn't get the memo.

Talked to my parents today and they said they opened the magazine and to their surprise, there I was!

"360 west" magazine. They also have it published online.

My car looks good, I think it's a keeper. :shift:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Has your car been lowered, or is it hunkering lower from aerodynamic downforce?

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
sweet. Pretty car at work.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Great shot, but...
Did you sign a release form for its use? If you didn't, I think you got ripped off. Models get paid. You may like seeing yourself in your car in a mag, but to be sure someone got paid to take it and should have offered you a release form. Otherwise it is likely not legal to publish it.

Happened to me at an autox and when I asked for the release from and some small compensation, the photo never happened.

·
Registered
511 Posts
As a published automotive photographer,

Compensation has never been offered for use of any automotive images like this in my experience. Most of the time the vehicles are already in place for other reasons. The models dont even get paid if its a "candid" shot at an event and usualy only a verbal release is requested. (Though written is prefered.) Models get paid to attend specific modeling events such as a booth at a show by the booth owner (not a photographer) or for a specific photoshoot that requires there own transit, time, makeup, hair ect.

This would be like sending a bill to the news station for filming you in traffic during a report... unlikely.

Not trying to be smart, just providing informed information.

One exception is say for example they use your image in an advertisement for profit, such as a tire ad or ad for the track you were at. You would be entitled to compensation at that point.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,684 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As a published automotive photographer,

Compensation has never been offered for use of any automotive images like this in my experience. Most of the time the vehicles are already in place for other reasons. The models dont even get paid if its a "candid" shot at an event and usualy only a verbal release is requested. (Though written is prefered.) Models get paid to attend specific modeling events such as a booth at a show by the booth owner (not a photographer) or for a specific photoshoot that requires there own transit, time, makeup, hair ect.

This would be like sending a bill to the news station for filming you in traffic during a report... unlikely.

Not trying to be smart, just providing informed information.

One exception is say for example they use your image in an advertisement for profit, such as a tire ad or ad for the track you were at. You would be entitled to compensation at that point.
Good info to have.

I am plenty happy to have my car in a magazine taking up half of a page. furthermore, I have no track pictures and this one is high res... for free!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts