The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently purchased a 2005 elise in Chrome Orange and it's going through a makeover at RaceCo here in Utah.

I thought I'd share the link as the awesome guys at RaceCo will document their work. We got parts from a few places but mostly Sector111 who have been wonderful to work with and RaceCo is taking some performance metrics along the way to see how much improvement the parts make.

Phase 1 is really just turning the stock elise into a track car mainly installing safety gear, brakes, aero bits and wheels. Once I master that the plan is to do suspension and supercharger but I'm starting from scratch here so I'll grow with the car.

Here is the "before" although the diffuser is already swapped.

and the link to RaceCo to follow along with the progress:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/RaceCo/308885499135163?hc_location=timeline

list of what's going on it:

• Gut Sport front Spoiler/Splitter
  • Difflow rear diffuser
  • RaceSills
  • Carbon Fiber Roof
  • Sector111 TrackPack advanced (6 point harnesses)
  • Recaro Profi SPG Racing Seat
  • Sector111 Ultradiscs
  • Carbotech brake pads
  • Stainless Steel HP Caliper Pistons (BOE)
  • Girodisc Stainless Steel Brake lines
  • 260 Cup Wheels (Team Dynamics)
  • Hoosier slicks
  • DSbrace
  • V2 arms
  • V2 shims
  • Gpan3 baffled Oil Pan
  • Odyssey dry battery
  • Xtender2 battery cutoff with bracket

·
V EQLS IR
331 Posts
lol, the elise typically looks very "happy", but even more so when sitting in front of an angry Godzilla...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thought I'd post some updates...
In order to fit the front splitter we removed the front lip guards to find out they had been put there to "fix" a previous issue. Off to the body shop it goes for fiberglass work. Rather than repaint the whole front with the complex Chrome Orange I'll just do a wrap over the front as it will get a lot of track abuse.

Before removing the guards:

Guards removed:

You also get a glimpse of the new splitter bellow:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Side sills are on and looking good. RaceCo would like to play with some ground effects on the edge to get more suction... Can't say I've seen an elise with that level of aero kit on the side. basically they would add an adjustable vertical fin that would go hug the ground...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Team Dynamics Cup wheels and slicks also done but the BFGoodrich R1s in the front were a little too big and rubbed so we are swapping the tires out for Hoosier R6s.

·
Registered
120 Posts
What size bfg's in the front that rubbed? What'd you have the front clam off to install? Is that the bwr track top?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What size bfg's in the front that rubbed? What'd you have the front clam off to install? Is that the bwr track top?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I'm getting the tire sizes from RaceCo and will post them shortly, the front BFG's rubbed on the inside fender, rear were fine. BFG doesn't make a size that would fit so we are moving over to the Hoosiers.

The front clam was removed to get sent out for fiberglass work and repaint (although I'll do fiberglass and wrap). this also gave better access to work on the brakes, brake lines and the side sills have vertical plates on each end that attach in the fenders.

I bought the CF top from britishracinggroup.com but it looks like the same part: Lotus Elise Lightweight Carbon Fiber Hardtop

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
car has had the oil line recall done? Probably a stupid question as you are replacing the oil pan, but you had not mentioned it. (unless i missed it). The car looks so damn cute on that lift.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
car has had the oil line recall done? Probably a stupid question as you are replacing the oil pan, but you had not mentioned it. (unless i missed it). The car looks so damn cute on that lift.
I'm not sure, I bought it from Ron Tonkin Gran Turismo in Portland a few months ago and they said it was up to date on all the service.

I'll check my docs and have the RaceCo guys check the line.

Thanks for the pointer!

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
You would have been fine with that tire size. You never turn the wheel that much on the track.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You would have been fine with that tire size. You never turn the wheel that much on the track.
I do at Miller Motorsports ;-) I did 3 laps and got some pretty heavy rubbing so I swapped back to my street tires for the rest of the day.

It could be the track pack Bilsteins from 2005 have lowered a bit over the years, maybe could have artificially worn the tires down a bit but it was just too snug.

The track is pretty awesome, at 4.5 miles long its actually the longest track in north America and its got lots of hard turns. beautiful spot!

Miller Motorsports Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A nice shot of the RaceCo "grown up toys", you can see my elise in a few pieces...

Looks tiny but in good company here:

a shot from track day for good measure:

1 - 20 of 75 Posts