The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since reading the "nesting" thread I thought I'd share the development of my Elise's new home. Here is a photo of how it looks now and over the next few months I'll add to it. It will end up being a 24' x 32' garage, but you can see what it is right now.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Are there any special considerations you'll have to take due to the cold weather? I would think that the cement slab that you pour is thicker...no?

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There will be a layer of blue board insulation under the slab. I could have gotten a heated slab, but I travel too much to be comfortable with that. If the furnace dies and it freezes, the slab is pretty much ruined.

z00mz, I took the picture of the backhoe out of my upstairs window. It will be a short walk to the garage, but a detached garage has its advantages here.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Awesome. Please continue to post pics as the progress continues!

Right now my dad is building a detached garage in his backyard for the elise. We havent started construction yet, but we have all the plans drawn and permission from the city and HPOZ (Historic Preservation Overlay Zone) committee. His house was built in 1903, and is within one of the oldest neighborhoods in SoCal. We will start building soon. I'm trying to convince him to add a lift :)

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Lumn8r said:
It will be a short walk to the garage, but a detached garage has its advantages here.
Just curious, what would be the advantages? Maybe less space to heat up in your main house?

I can't imagine having to walk through rain, snow, blizzards, etc. just to get to my car. Mind you, for me California in wintertime gets too damn cold :rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Lumn8r said:
There will be a layer of blue board insulation under the slab. I could have gotten a heated slab, but I travel too much to be comfortable with that. If the furnace dies and it freezes, the slab is pretty much ruined.
The slaps are usually heated with ethylene-glycol mixtures (anti-freeze) running through tubes in the slab. That stuff is good for some really cold temperatures. Exactly how cold does it get in your neck of the woods?

There are also fairly cheap monitors/alarms/auto-dialers that can send out messages if the temperature in the shop drops too low (long before it would be freezing).

Tim Mullen

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Modern Wedgie said:
Awesome. Please continue to post pics as the progress continues!

Right now my dad is building a detached garage in his backyard for the elise. We havent started construction yet, but we have all the plans drawn and permission from the city and HPOZ (Historic Preservation Overlay Zone) committee. His house was built in 1903, and is within one of the oldest neighborhoods in SoCal. We will start building soon. I'm trying to convince him to add a lift :)
Lillie, your current garage use woes were making me glad that I am zoned for general use. And since I'm not within city limits, I don't even have to ask for permission to build. The borough assessors will come by sometime during the year, and they will adjust the value of my property appropriately for next years taxes. I am going to be looking for a lift to put in, I have looked at the K&W Lift website, since that one has had good reviews here. And it looks like it might do the trick. I don't think I'd be able to get the Dodge Ram on it, but it's hold the Elise or Neon just fine.

Tintin, the advantages are lower insurance rates. And since the nearest fire department is about 20 miles away, it means that I have somewhere to go if I do have a fire.

Tim, yea, the glycol mix is good, but there are always trade off's, and it isn't a sure thing. A co-worker of mine had his hanger floor freeze even with a glycol mix. We get down to minus 50 occasionally. I'm going to go with a Toyostove. A nice high effiency, oil stove. I had one in my old cabin and it did a great job.

And they aren't wasting time with the dirt work. Here is the latest pic. I could feel the ground shaking when the compactor was running.

Attachments

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
At the end of today. They stopped working a half an hour before a thunderstorm hit and drenched us for over an hour. At least the water should help compact the gravel.:clap:

Attachments

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
The finished pad. This will be the last one for a few days. Work on the foundation and slab (monolith) will begin early next week.

Edit: This picture was taken at 10:00pm. I love the Alaskan summer.:)

Attachments

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Concrete gets poured in the morning. Walls should go up on Monday.

This picture was taken at 10:45pm, did I mention how great these long summer days are.:clap:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Looking good! Did you decide to put in any radiant heating?

BTW how do you deal with long summer days in Alaska. My sleep pattern would be screwed up for sure.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
huggy bear said:
Looking good! Did you decide to put in any radiant heating?

BTW how do you deal with long summer days in Alaska. My sleep pattern would be screwed up for sure.
Nope, my friend who does the concrete said it would not be as cost effective with the detached garage.

I guess I just got used to the long days living here so long. It makes it easier for me to stay up and do things, but it certainly doesn't keep me awake when I am ready to sleep.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The slab is done, just need to let it cure now. I have to go talk to the builders this afternoon. They prefab the walls at the sawmill (about 1/2 mile from my house) so all they will have to do is set the walls up, put on the trusses and the roof. They should start on that Monday.

Attachments

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
cool!

be careful, you are definitely going to have to buy the 3M clear bra kit. On top of that, you may get lots of tiny rocks and dirt in your air filter. LOL! Better slap some off road tires and a lift kit on your Elise.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
And this is where they were when I came home from work Friday afternoon. They've been coming and going for a few hours this morning, but it doesn't look like they are getting a whole lot done today.

Attachments

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Lookin' good! Choosing the extra deep two car garage is a great idea; it looks 'normal' from the outside, but has so much more room inside. heck, you could fit four Elises in there! :)

1 - 20 of 54 Posts