The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced my intake cam and rockers yesterday. The car started right up and seemed to run fine at first. But then I test drove it and I got about a half a block before the engine quit and wouldn't restart. The OBD reports shows a code "P0012 - Timing over-retard".

I did a search (in honor of ACE10) and the only thing I could find about P0012 is that the fuse R4 would blow and then keep the ECU from reading timing info. I checked the fuses and all are OK. So is there something else for me to check ?? Is there a chance that I didn't reassemble something correctly? I made sure that I lined up the cam gears with my marks on the chain but is is possible that I got something out of sync on the timing chain? I hope this turns out to be something simple.

Funny story though. When I went out for my test drive and was looking at my stalled out car in the middle of the road a guy in a pickup truck pulled up behind me and got out of his truck. As he walked up to me I was getting mentally prepared for the usual stupid questions. But instead he said "Hey, you don't want to stop here, this is a really dangerous neighborhood!". I agreed and told him that my home was right there across the street. So I guess I really do live in a rough part of town.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I replaced my intake cam and rockers yesterday. The car started right up and seemed to run fine at first. But then I test drove it and I got about a half a block before the engine quit and wouldn't restart. The OBD reports shows a code "P0012 - Timing over-retard".

I did a search (in honor of ACE10) and the only thing I could find about P0012 is that the fuse R4 would blow and then keep the ECU from reading timing info. I checked the fuses and all are OK. So is there something else for me to check ?? Is there a chance that I didn't reassemble something correctly? I made sure that I lined up the cam gears with my marks on the chain but is is possible that I got something out of sync on the timing chain? I hope this turns out to be something simple.

Funny story though. When I went out for my test drive and was looking at my stalled out car in the middle of the road a guy in a pickup truck pulled up behind me and got out of his truck. As he walked up to me I was getting mentally prepared for the usual stupid questions. But instead he said "Hey, you don't want to stop here, this is a really dangerous neighborhood!". I agreed and told him that my home was right there across the street. So I guess I really do live in a rough part of town.
No experience with that, but I'd guess you're a tooth off on the cam gear.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I opened the engine back up and rechecked the cam timing. Sure enough the chain had jumped a tooth on the crank while I was replacing the cam. I shifted the chain a tooth on the cam gears and it all lines up properly now.

But the car still won't start. Fearing the worst, I did a compression test to see if I had bent a valve. All cylinders are over 200. But it won't start.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am out of ideas.

All of the cylinders have good compression, there is fuel pressure at the rail and I am getting spark. I even put in new spark plugs. The engine still won't fire up. It turns over but never starts.

What else can I check?

·
Super Moderator
2,845 Posts
I realize this is a pretty old school answer, but try to get back to the basics. In order for the engine to fire you need a fuel/air charge in the cylinders on the compression stroke and you need a spark at the right time from the plugs. You have verified fuel pressure and spark, but have you actually checked to see if the injectors are pulsing? Take a mechanics stethoscope to each injector while the engine is turning over to verify they are clicking. Also sniff the exhaust pipe after a lengthy attepted start for the smell of raw gas. If these things check out, you have fuel to the cylinders. You already verified you have spark, but is it at the right time? Have you tried hooking up an old fashioned timing light to the spark plug and coil for the #1 cylinder and shot the timing mark for TDC while trying to start the engine? If your timing light is not illuminating the TDC mark (or somewhere close to it) you are not getting spark at the right time. Did you remove the crankshaft position sensor and possibly put it back in the wrong position? I'm just guessing with these ideas, but if you break it down to the basics and assure everything within those basic needs to fire the engine are met, it will run.

·
Registered
580 Posts
First the obvious stuff-- make sure you remembered to plug everything back in.

You said you have pressure at the rails. Are the injectors firing? If you have spark and the timing is on that's all it can really be.

Try resetting the ECU if you haven't already, double check all the sensor and injector connections, check all the engine bay fuses, and failing that check the timing again.

You could also try squirting a shot of starter fluid into the throttle body. If it starts and then stalls, your injectors aren't firing.

·
Registered
580 Posts
You had #1 at TDC when setting the cam marks? If you're not getting anything, no pops bangs or backfires, and you do have spark, I would almost believe you've got the timing 180 degrees out of phase.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
You had #1 at TDC when setting the cam marks? If you're not getting anything, no pops bangs or backfires, and you do have spark, I would almost believe you've got the timing 180 degrees out of phase.
My guess would be the same... Since your getting good compression, fuel and spark this is the most likely cause for your problem...

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The car has been sitting in the garage because I haven;t had time ti deal with it. I took a look at things again this weekend and it still won't start.

I have good compression, I have spark and the timing is correct. I have fuel pressure at the rail.
If the car sits for a while it will rumble a bit when it first turns over then nothing. Same as the symptoms in this thread:
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f25/engine-no-start-77582/#post1342626

I can't think of anything else to check. Ideas anybody?

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
HAH!

email me.. I will send you my cell.. I fixed the same exact problem..

Sorry, but I've spent the last 2 weeks or so tracking the same exact code.. I'll help you out, but its easier to speak over the phone than type up the procedure..

[email protected]

·
Premium Member
3,045 Posts
How about posting the answer when you get it solved?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts