The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
My car sneezes
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know, my car has been pushed to the limit since basically day one. A few months ago, I was at the track when my aftermarket boost controller failed, I got who knows how much boost and my motor let go. There wanst much warning, it blew at the same time I realized th car was making more power than it should.
Here's the carnage:

Hole in the block & damaged liners:

pieces of piston in oil pan

Snapped timing chain

Worn chain tensioners

Many bent valves, broken valve guides and 1 damaged combustion chamber

2 damaged rods

piston pieces that entered the plennum and back down into other cylinders

Oil pick-up bolts snapped

More head damaged

Damaged lobes in 1 cam

Custom Mahle forged pistons vs stock cast pistons that will be installed. [/color]

Custom Darton liners:

·
My car sneezes
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Measuring liner stand in

Double checking bearing clearances with Plastigauge (appox 0.0018")

Checking ring gaps (old ring used for illustration only)

Rings installed and gapped per Mahle's recommendation

Underside Mahle piston with JAE Saanz H-Beam rods

New block cleaned ready for assembly:

Oil squirters installed:

Upper main bearings installed and lubed:

Upper thrust bearing installed & lubed:

Crank in:

#4 Main cap with bearing & lower thrust installed:

Main caps installed:

JAE ARP head studs installed (right hand liners, pistons & head already installed):

Adding Hylomar to liner with piston & rod installed

#8 psiton/liner installed

Installing #7

#7 installed:

#5-8 installed:

Head gasket installed:

Head cleaned ready for install:

Both heads on:

Ready to install rod caps:

·
My car sneezes
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lube'ing & installing oil pump

intermediate shaft bearings installed and lubed:

replacing chain tensioner blocks

Chain & gears installed

Tensioners installed before adjustment:

Lotus alignment tool installed:

All done:

Sealant for front cover:

Front cover on with intermediate seal installed:

Sealing for oil pan:

Oil pan on:

crank seal on (notice key way for intermediate shaft pulleys, see other thread for details)

Crank pulley on

top cover sealed & installed:

oil filter mount installed:

rear cover sealed & installed

Flywheel on (sorry no pcs of rear main seal)

Sensors installed:

Head ready for cams:

Followers in:

cam caps layed out in order ready to be installed:

Cams in & locked with setting pins:

cam seals in, pulleys ready to be bolted

Sealant on cam bolts:

cam pulleys loosely bolted ready for belts:

belts in:

dab sealant on front cam caps ready for cam cover

Cam cover ready to be installed:

cam cover, injector housings, thermostat housing, exhaust manifold & dip stick installed:

Starter and coil packs in

Bosch Gen 3 injectors in

Wiring loom in:

Plennum ready for install:

Then the camera card got full and we forgot about more pics, sorry. :(
The car is back on the road and it feels great. I havent done any WOT high boost runs but part throttle feels good. It's very responsive off boost, not laggy at all. It actually feels natrually aspirated. I don't know it that's due to the lighter rotating assembly, rods are about .25lbs (~115gm) lighter than stock, better atomazation of the injectors, port work on the heads around the valve seat area or a combination of everything. Whatever it is, I am very happy.
Now to put some miles on it and turn the boost up again. :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Dang man.. nice work. Still think your text quote when your engine blew is one of the funniest things I've ever read.

Did you buy all the alignment tools etc? I may need to rent them from you in the future, haha.

I would love to get a ride in your car someday... maybe ill want to change the direction of my re"build".

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Nice work G and nice job documenting the build. Pretty soon you'll be giving Mike S a run for his money...:coolnana:

·
Registered
284 Posts
Gonzolo,

Nice rebuild! I would like to hear about the JAE Saanz rods. I have talked with Jeff about them and they solve the last MAJOR mickey mouse issue with the 918 engine. What you have used is exactly the same collection of parts I have been mentally assembling for when I need to rebuild my engine. Where did you source a new block & head?

That was some expensive boost controller! LOL

·
Registered
311 Posts
Guess your engine was running "qualifying boost". :)
Then you grenaded it proper. Awesome thread and right to the point.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Wow G! I have been way too busy building my 300ZX I guess. Totally missed you blowing the motor. So, and I apologize if I missed it, what failed? Did the rod cap bolt cause the rods to collide and blow the hole in the block or did the piston disintegrate? What exactly happened?
Artie

·
My car sneezes
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The boost controller failed at the track so the car made who knows how much boost and a piston let go. Then the piston crumbs caused the rest of the damage.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Looks great! I always wondered what the timing belt setup was like on those, wow!

Forgive the esprit ignorance, but these are the engines where they have you tension the belt based on a mechanical resonance?

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have a Jul. 2000 V8 with the hot start issue like many V8 owners and I replaced the cam and crank sensors with no luck. Cold and warm starts are fine but once I get the engine hot it takes about 4 seconds to finally start.

I think I'm faced with leaking injectors but not a 100% sure. The throttle response lags so I believe it's running a bit rich and I can also smell that unburnt exhaust when idling plus i only get idle popping from the passenger bank of cylinders, however, it idles without stalling and runs fine. I've gone through the manual and the plenum removal seems fairly simple but I have a few questions I'm hoping you can assist me with:

1) Does the socket on the throttle cable simply pry off of the ball on the throttle plate?
2) Can the plenum be removed and reattached without removing the throttle body and EGR unit from the plenum?
3) There are a couple of hoses that need to be reattached under the plenum and I didn't know if there was enough length on these hoses to allow easy attachment while the plenum is slightly raised above the intake manifold? e.g. boost control valve hose, translucent hose to charcoal canister, rubber breather hose to RH cam cover?
4) Not sure what type of injectors to get. Five O motorsports recommends the Bosch/Lucas 01D029B(028015047/F1TE-D5A)24lb. @43.5 psi 12.9-16.5 Ohms. = $43.80ea.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Mike

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Wow what an intense build and read. Where do you even begin to take on such a job like this? Even if I could, I don't think I can trust myself nor have the patience...

Great work!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts