The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may remember a few months ago I posted that I had acquired a 1973 TCS that had sat for many years. That post is titled "Possibly Found an Europa JPS".

Unfortunately that car was not salvageable as the frame was rusted in half. I removed the engine and transmission and am in the process of giving it away as a tub.

In the meantime I picked up a 1973 TCS project that required an engine and transmission! Luckily the car was a 5 speed so my 5 speed will bolt in. At this point I have taken the engine apart and to a builder who will be over boring it, welding the aluminum head back together (LOTS of pitting) and porting it. I'll be doing reassembly. The body is now off the chassis and I am going to blast the chassis and paint it. I will be blasting and powder coating the suspension components shortly.

I'll try to post a few pictures here so you can see my progress. It is so fun to work on these cars! I never have, so a body off restoration is the way to learn them right?

Keith

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And here it is now. Not a whole lot different I know, but progress is being made!

The frame is in great shape, I'm really happy about that!

The previous owner began a wide body kit so that needs to be finished up.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, note the completely bald studded snow tire on the front. I would love to see an Europa in the snow. omg...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Looks like the glass is in good shape which will save you a boatload. What's the interior like? Is there one? You definitely have a project on your hands; post pics as you go!

·
Registered
249 Posts
This looks like a good project for you. Having a good frame is definitely a plus. Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The seller of the project car is shipping me freshly re-upholstered seats. There isn't much of a dashboard, there is no carpet or seat belts. I'll be making much of it myself. Gas tanks, dashboard with gauges, etc. The previous owner started a wide body kit so the car will never be original again. This makes it a better project for someone like me I think. Restoring to original specs is more difficult and more costly.

·
Registered
138 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
I thought I'd add my $0.02 about car mats. AutoMat (AutoMat Customizing & Restoration - Home Page) has a great selection of piles, colors, and fabrics. I don't know if they still do it, but I got mine embroidered with the Lotus emblem. I got a complete kit and everything fit perfectly. Even the mats snapped using the standard floor snaps. Great people, too.

None of that is to disparage Ricard at Europa Engineering who is a fabulous guy. :clap:

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
That's the first time I have seen a Europa frame. With the way that the frame is and how the body sort of drapes over it, is there much flex? Congrats and good luck with the project.

·
Registered
311 Posts
That's the first time I have seen a Europa frame. With the way that the frame is and how the body sort of drapes over it, is there much flex? Congrats and good luck with the project.
Europa is pretty stiff since it's the fiber glass body draped around the steel frame that creates considerable stiffness.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've been pretty quiet here lately. This winter proved to be long and I didn't get much done on the car. I have also had bigger fish to fry on my other summer cars (radiator on Elise... eeep!). Finances are always going to be in my way but my Elise will be paid off shortly so the Europa will be going together faster hopefully soon.

The engine was pitted too badly and I didn't want to source another block from Ford racing because the head required so much work ($3000+ they said) I just cant afford it. Fortunately, as I mentioned before, the car was already molested so I felt pretty good about buying a Ford Zetec and installing that. The motor mounted up pretty easily. I just put it in, I haven't even sourced a flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, etc...

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I couldn't justify the price for poly bushings so I just made them out of delrin.

I also couldn't justify the price for 7/16" wheel bolts and I wanted 12mm so they were a more standard size (all my cars are 12mm) so I just modified 12mm ones purchased from Napa. They pressed in very nicely and torqued fine. Now I'll never need to mess with them again.

Here is the hub with a 1" hub adapter to 4x100mm with 12mm studs. This was so I would have more options regarding wheels. Initially I'll be running my brothers spare Miata wheels. They are light weight at 9lbs each, 14" dia, and the tire size should look great with the wide body. I have to be careful with the back spacing because the fenders are so wide, I don't want to kill my wheel bearings. In the future I'll put GT6 front uprights on. The bigger brakes will be nice, but so will the bigger wheel bearings...

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I needed fuel tanks and I didn't want to pay for the expensive aluminum ones, but I did like how they look and the longevity of them. So here are pictures of my new fuel tanks. A friend of mine is a very talented artist and doesn't typically do fabrication work, but he made an exception for me. He made them to my specifications. Mirror image of each other. They hold just about 5 gallons each and were sized to use a float style fuel sending unit from a marine application. Now I can use any normal fuel gauge with these sending units and if anything breaks I can actually source new parts.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
Keith: Are you going to LOG ? I have some Europa parts left over....yours if you stop in ( I'm right next to the track ) I have a "Bathtub" and some Europa lug nuts / studs ( Don't know if you can use those )....let me know.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That depends. What is LOG and where is it? And by Bath Tub do you mean the "trunk" in the back that comes out? Because I do need one of them actually!

·
Registered
249 Posts
LOG = "Lotus Owner's Gathering". They are put on by Lotus, Ltd. The US Lotus club. It's a great club and the LOGs are a lot of fun but I have to say that they dwell less on the older models like Europas and Elans than the newer ones. I'd still recommend joining.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Looking Good! Keep up the good work, and keep us posted! A lot of Europa owners have gone with the Zetec, its the way to go if you are swapping the engine.

You should definitely try and go to a LOG, my dad and I are going for our first time this year, we are very excited!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts