The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my Evora GT to my Lotus Dealer for my 1000-mile post-sales service. They did an ECU change and failed to tell me in advance about it. I probably would have said 'fine if Lotus recommended it.' I bought the car new at the end of 2020.

There is now an impossible-to-ignore loss of power, a flat spot, in the low end of the RPMs. This ECU change - maybe it shifted the power up higher in the RPMs?

Before the car accelerated seemingly as hard at low RPMs as my Yamaha R1 motorcycle.

Now it feels like it has a bad case of turbo lag.

Anyone else notice this? From this point forward, I will notify the dealer "under no circumstances are you to make any change to the car, even if it is a Lotus recommended change, until I give permission."

Yes I took the car in for the 1000 mile post-sales check-up service and when I got it back, he said "oh by the way we did a Lotus-recommended upgrade to the ECU"

I'm very very disappointed in the loss of performance. Does anyone have a suggestion or heard of this elsewhere? Did Lotus discover the 416hp in the Evora GT was too 'edgy' and they detuned it slightly due to warranty claims or something?

·
Administrator
13,485 Posts
Have them re do the ECU flash. I have read about others having to be reflashed after similar experiences. Call your Service Manager and explain the issue and stand your ground for a reflash.

·
Premium Member
9,456 Posts
It also needs to relearn. Drive it aggressively for a few days and see if it doesn't improve

·
Supporting Vendor
159 Posts
I have done many of these software upgrades and have never noticed a change in performance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have done many of these software upgrades and have never noticed a change in performance.
I had the car out today. I talked to the dealer. They said the car re-learns and the best way is to drive it the way I like to drive.

Incredibly, when I took it out for a while and stomped on it a bunch of times, I notice the shocking acceleration in the low end of the RPM range has returned. The supercharger has no noticeable lag.

I have no experience with the 'learning' ability of a car's ECU - I can't thank you folks enough for putting me on a good path to solving the mystery.

·
Administrator
13,485 Posts
I had the car out today. I talked to the dealer. They said the car re-learns and the best way is to drive it the way I like to drive.

Incredibly, when I took it out for a while and stomped on it a bunch of times, I notice the shocking acceleration in the low end of the RPM range has returned. The supercharger has no noticeable lag.

I have no experience with the 'learning' ability of a car's ECU - I can't thank you folks enough for putting me on a good path to solving the mystery.
Great that it was easy but it would have been nice if the service manager knew it was a possibility to have warned you. Would have prevented some worries.

Reactions: Road Aviator

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great that it was easy but it would have been nice if the service manager knew it was a possibility to have warned you. Would have prevented some worries.
GatorMS_Service above said he has never seen an issue and the dealer said the same thing, "never heard of that" so my take is, it happens but it doesn't happen frequently enough to have gathered notoriety. Maybe it depends on height above sea level, local climate, octane rating of locally-available super unleaded.

I have to say, this was a real issue, and I was quite depressed about it when I noticed the flat spot and the power was just gone at low RPMs. I mean if you'd had a 'before' and 'after' drive in my car, you would have said "My gawd, what happened", it was freaking shocking, the difference.

My conspiracy theory brain ran the following scenarios - I think it reflects how morbidly unhappy I was about the discovery:

1) the new Emira is a heavier car, has less horsepower, and is not faring well in comparisons to the now-discontinued 416hp Evora GT, and now that the Communists own Hethel, and since communists lack compunction, they instructed Hethel to eliminate all further scrutiny on this issue so as not to affect Emira sales by detuning the car

2) and/or pumping the Evora engine up to 416hp ended up generating warranty claims so the commies told Hethel "detune the car"

These conspiracies reflect how much my owner experience was undermined by the incident.

I had zero idea that the car could change its behavior by 'learning'. None at all. This forum helped me break out of my funk.

·
Administrator
13,485 Posts
Have a beer and forget all that conspiracy crap! @brgelise nailed it!

·
Administrator
13,485 Posts
Indeed! I'm an older guy, had no idea about this ability. Heckuva great day it turned out to be.
Ditto! Old as well and it took me four days to get fuel tank back into place on my truck after mod and replacing vent line with not as flexible fuel line. I did more situps in four days that the last five years. Need to get back in shape!

Reactions: niceEsprit

·
Premium Member
9,456 Posts
I hit 60 and realized I can't DIY my fitness any longer. had a trainer the past 4 months. best physical thing i have ever done. i am learning to do things correctly. Reverse crunches hurt like a bastard BTW......as well as pushing my 180lb trainer around the room while he sits in the sled.....never dreamed of many things I'm doing now.
Feel 10yrs younger!

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise
10 Posts
I hit 60 and realized I can't DIY my fitness any longer. had a trainer the past 4 months. best physical thing i have ever done. i am learning to do things correctly. Reverse crunches hurt like a bastard BTW......as well as pushing my 180lb trainer around the room while he sits in the sled.....never dreamed of many things I'm doing now.
Feel 10yrs younger!
My trainer recently had me start doing sled pushes, too, and they are brutal!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts