The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Evora S, 2017 BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ended up picking up a less expensive 2011 evora S. The car did have a Salvage title with the story of no frame damage just panels from a side swipe on the drivers side. Car had 12,000 total miles. Thinking this car was totaled sat forever and then pieced back together. After pulling history car was new in 2011. In 2012 it had a savage title assigned. From there all reports of mileage grew slowly over the years and the owner stayed the same from new till early this year. This changed my mind on considering purchase. Talked with the current owner and came to a price, knowing the wheels were tweaked and list of minor cosmetic issues. The car was 800 miles away but close to my brother so I sent my brother the money and he drove to look at it. It looked as advertised so he picked it up and drove it home. My thought was to go up there and drive it back but chickened out and had it shipped. Glad I did because the noise from the right bent wheel would have been miserable for a 10 hour drive. Once I got it here I drove it for a couple of days and of course like it. Once I got the state inspection on it decided to get the wheels fixed and do a good inspection. So far everything looks good just running into 10 years of poor maintenance. I do see the glass repairs where they say. The damage occured with no signs of structure damage.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok day 2 of inspection, running across little stupid stuff. Was troubleshooting a right front turn signal and when removing the headlight the washer connection was broken off. Decided to pull left one for easy troubleshooting and it did not have the hose hooked up to it. The bumper was not aligned great so decided to pull front clip found that there are no washer lines at all. Some people. Everything else is straight and in good shape. Will be disassembling the right headlight to see if I can repair the turn signal. Every panel I run across there are non Lotus fastener so will be purchasing correct hardware for reassembly.

Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire Hood

·
Premium Member
8,150 Posts
Good luck. Body panels and a few wheels easy fixes. Great color. Thanks for giving her the love she needs.

Reactions: Grady

·
Registered
43 Posts
Love to see this. The Evora S remains my favorite modern Lotus. I realize the 400 and GTs are better cars objectively, but the early Evora body style appeals to me more and the interior (especially the seats) hasn't gotten better with the newer cars. Would an intercooler be nice? Sure, but the chassis is black magic and 350hp is more than enough for the twisty roads where it shines. Kudos to you for saving her!

·
Premium Member
2,113 Posts
If the turn signal isn't working at all, it could be from a cold solder joint on the connector. I had one that looked like this:

Hood Grille Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Musical instrument Grille Automotive lighting Hood Car Vehicle

Repairs aren't entirely impossible, but I would recommend you drill out the rivets and take the heatsink off before trying to heat the board.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If the turn signal isn't working at all, it could be from a cold solder joint on the connector. I had one that looked like this:

View attachment 1298259 View attachment 1298261

Repairs aren't entirely impossible, but I would recommend you drill out the rivets and take the heatsink off before trying to heat the board.
Yep that is exactly what it was. That was an easy fix.

Automotive parking light Vehicle Wheel Tire Automotive lighting

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ran across some more little stuff. Right upper radiator support was bent and not holding the radiator, a screwdriver and 1 min of work bent it back to where it needed to be. Finding a log of wire harness supports missing ty-wraps those will all be fixed. They had hard wired the left headlight in, will be searcheing for a car side plug for that. Also found a bent oil cooler line in the right rear wheel well, will be replacing that line. Drained oil from engine and transmission. Will be replacing power steering fluid, coolant and oil for the supercharger.
Other accomplishments were;
$300 order from HethelSport
$2000 order from Lotus parts on line
$1000 order from Gregs Race Parts
$2000 order from various places for new head unit and other electronic parts/LED’s to replace incandescent lamps.

Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Machine Auto part

·
Premium Member
8,150 Posts
So basically, it was a half a$$ed repair you are correcting. GOOD JOB!!! Too bad former owner didn't give you repair shop address so you could point out the lousy skills!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So basically, it was a half a$$ed repair you are correcting. GOOD JOB!!! Too bad former owner didn't give you repair shop address so you could point out the lousy skills!!
Probably a little better than half A$$ed. I probably like thing a little too perfect. I think it a cumulation of 10 years of not willing to pay to keep it maintained. My guess it is multiple shops that were the cheapest ones around. In the last couple of year it did have a favorable Lemon Squad inspection And was serviced by a RR dealer in CA.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wheels are straightened and recoated. When I walked in to pick them up the guy sad those wheels were bent to ****. I guess that is a good thing because that should be the noise issue when driving.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Parts are showing up, all new hardware for under panels, head lights and wheel liners.

Font Material property Pattern Room Brand

·
Registered
565 Posts
Where'd you end up ordering the headlight plug from? I'm in need of one as well

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Where'd you end up ordering the headlight plug from? I'm in need of one as well
Mouser, Part numbers I have come up with but not verified. All Mouser stock numbers, Manufacturer number just delete the “571-“

571-344267-1 Plug
571-345260-1 Anti back out
571-345150-1 Pin(none available trying (Edit: 571-175265-1They are not correct. I got them to work but had to modify them)
571-347874-1 seal

I also found some complete assemblies with Male, female, pins and all but they were all not in the US.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Working on putting the front clam back on. When I got the car the bumper was sagging and was not lined up on top. It had al lip between bumper and top clam. Anyone have any tricks to fit the front clam? Looks like it going to be a lot of trial an error.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok figured out how to eliminate the bumper sag. Still not perfect but have an idea of what adjustments to make down the road.

Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Everything is back together now after 2 engine oil changes. Brake and clutch full bleed. Power steering fluid change. Supercharger oil change. Coolant flush and refill. A/C service. I still ran out and found more fasteners that were incorrect or old. Ordered another $200 in Fasteners. Also installed the lower black vinyl. Took it out for a drive and there is still a noise associated with wheel speed. It is better but still there. The tires are old and hard so going to change them out for MPS 4s. Going to drive it for a little bit before I tackle the next projects.
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Premium Member
8,150 Posts
I am EXTREMELY fond of Continental ECS for this vehicle. They have performed extremely well in all conditions and IMHO are 99% of an MPS4 without that fat preicetag. They were tracked on VIR and Pittsburg, excel in the rain, and maintain a semblance of traction down to 40 degrees...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts