The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been a strange turn of events which have led me to receive a car earlier than expected. As of November of 2003, I was #11 at Ferrari of Denver. When the batch of first orders were being speced, #4 could not be reached. I was offered his spot with the understanding that if he wanted his spot back, it was his. Fair enough. I speced a BRP with Biscuit/Touring and Sport.

Well after a few months of thinking I would get my car early, #4 called and said he wanted the car and was happy with how it was ordered. So now I am back to spot #11.

When my time came around, I spec my car the same way. I expected a delivery sometime around the first of the year. I get a call from my salesman around the end of October saying that #4 has had a medical issue come up and is dropping off the list. If I wanted his spot, it was mine. Of course I did. The car shows up just before I am leaving for SEMA, so I can't pick it up until I return. I drop off my stage II exhaust so the car is ready when I get back. I finally had a chance to pick the car up yesterday. Words cannot express how pleased I am with the new car. The exhaust is loud, but cool. The ride is rough, but not too bad. I am also more than happy with the color. I asked the car not be detailed, so the paint could use a little work.

Of course, today is filled with rain, sleet and now snow, so the car will sit for a few days. I hope to detail it this weekend. Until then, here are some shots I took while the car sits in our bay.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
if ya leave that plate holder on i want to know how many people tell you they have never heard of the ferrari lotus. congrats!!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all! I'm a pretty happy guy right now.

Thomas-mine has wax on the black grill pieces too. I will start light then move up in chemical. I will likely begin with einszett Cockpit Premium, move to P21S Total Auto Wash and if that doesn't work einszett Plastik Reineger. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Hey Detailersparadise, can you offer some suggestions? Some of us who autocross have gotten black cone scuffs onto the paint film and it's quite difficult to remove. A cleaner wax gets them right off of paint. It seems like the paint film is porous or the scuff involved a light friction burn of some kind. Normal gentle cleaners tend to be ineffective or quite slow. Randy suggested 70% alcohol which I have not yet tried. I have used cleaner wax, polish, rubbing compound, B&T remover, windex, fantastic, Plexus, etc, etc. For the tough ones something very drastic such as GOJO with pumice is needed and even that takes some effort.

If I'm concerned about cone marks I have simply covered the trouble spots with painter's tape beforehand and that takes care of any subsequent cone marks.

What do you think?

(BTW Plexus helps vanquish any wax stains on the plastic grills quite a bit...as does using nonstaining wax such as P21S / S100 in the first place..)

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It sounds like the cleaner wax did work? I am guessing that it removed the rubber from the cone, but there was still some marring?

I apologize if I am being dense, but I don't think I follow. If the cleaner wax is working, I would stick with that, as it is certainly the least abrasive.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>t sounds like the cleaner wax did work? I am guessing that it removed the rubber from the cone, but there was still some marring? I apologize if I am being dense, but I don't think I follow. If the cleaner wax is working, I would stick with that, as it is certainly the least abrasive.<<<

Generic cleaner wax such as Meguiar's works just fine on normal scuffs on PAINT. Many are running into trouble when the cone
scuff is on the PAINT FILM. Maybe there are more scuff resistant or more cleanable paint films but it can be quite a tedious process to get things cleaned up if you met with some cones.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Great looking car! Congratulations...must have been a very nice surprise.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ahhhhh, the Starshield. Man, that is tougher. Mostly because it is softer than the paint and tends to scratch very easily. You also have the adhesive issue to consider. I'm going to have to experiment a bit before I can give you a good answer.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Congrats! An impecable choice of color!

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
DetailersParadise said:
Ahhhhh, the Starshield. Man, that is tougher. Mostly because it is softer than the paint and tends to scratch very easily. You also have the adhesive issue to consider. I'm going to have to experiment a bit before I can give you a good answer.

AAAHHHHH....good answer! Don't you just love it when someone doesn't just give you a BS answer but is willing to research it a bit?

BTW: I love your products. I have found a friend in the P21S Carnuba Wax. The Einszett Tiefenpfleger vinyl & Plastic protectant is what all should try on the vent fins to keep them looking sharp and I couldn't live without the "Lackfinish" for in between washings.

BTW: for all that are bugged by the wax on the vent fins....try first, a little diluted diswashing detergent with a tooth brush to remove most of the wax and then use the Tiefenpfleger vinyl & plastic protectant as per the directions on the bottle. Presto.......no more wax on mine! Of course, with the P21S Carnuba wax thereafter, it's never a problem again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts