The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

My cup 240 has a TVS 1320 with a bigger fuel system and aftermarket ECU. Ever since I've had the car, I have had issues with the smell of the exhaust at idle and low engine speeds. So much so that a short drive around with the window down results in a headache, watery eyes and my clothes smelling like fuel.

The car still has the OEM cat and has seen a bit of track time. My thoughts are that the cat has had it and needs to be replaced. I am also thinking a lot of it could be do with the rich tune. I was thinking about just fitting a decat as I wouldn't mind the performance benefits and it's more cost effective than a sport cat. However perhaps if the result is smelly clothes and a headache, I shouldn't bother?

I guess my question is, should the exhaust really smell that bad due to a poorly functioning or no cat converter? I've had plenty of de cats before on other cars and never had this issue. Why should the exige be any different?

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Keep in mind the Cat does not do it's job until it is up to temperature. A cold cat will not burn off excess fuel in the exhaust. So on very short trips the problem will remain. Go after the root cause, the tune.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Bad cat will cause bad smell. Hard to describe but unpleasant. I didn't know what or where it was coming from but after I replaced the old cat with new smell went away.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Keep in mind the Cat does not do it's job until it is up to temperature. A cold cat will not burn off excess fuel in the exhaust. So on very short trips the problem will remain. Go after the root cause, the tune.
Yes, I think this is the key, because the smell does not begin until the car is warm - this is very distinct. there is no smell when the engine is cold. That begs the question, why is this such an issue with the Elige? Is it to do with the fact that the exhaust system is quite short in length compared to say front engine cars? As I said, i've used de-cat pipes in other cars in the past and never had the problem.

It's predominantly whilst sitting at the traffic lights.

Bad cat will cause bad smell. Hard to describe but unpleasant. I didn't know what or where it was coming from but after I replaced the old cat with new smell went away.
Another thought, is it possible that once I get rid of the cat completely, the smell might not be as bad? The cat is still there, its just probably very broken down.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts