The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not really want to post this here, but figure might be ok. The car is not totaled by any means

I do not know how many of you work on Fort Belvoir, but leaving Tulley Gate to get on RTE 1 there are two lanes. Both lanes have arrows to turn left onto rte 1 south. I was in the right one and an Imprezza in the left. As we were coming out of the intersection she changed lanes into me. She hit the wheel well, in the front driver side with the front of her car, and knocked the reflector off and there is a crack right above the wheel. You can see scuff marks where she hit the tire and wheel. The crack has pieces of, i guess, fiber glass coming out so I imagine I may need a new front clam.

Well at the scene she told the police officer she did it blah blah and the witness and I confirmed. He only gave her a warning because she was so upfront and he wanted the insurance to see that she got something for liability purposes.

Since the accident I have been calling Geico with the claim number and they will not let me set an appointment with Criswell until they can confirm with her that she in fact hit me. The guy I got today just made me more angry about this whole thing. I explained that she got the warning and I had a witness and he told me she has rights and that I had to be patient...... I said I had a car that needed to be fixed and I did not think it was fair that I would have to wait for her, since there is evidence that she is at fault. Then I got the spiel about her rights and they are not police and cannot force her to do anything.

Is there anything I can do? I should have rights too and I should not have to wait 30 days for them to finally decide to fix my car. I am worried that it will just get worse. I dont know what to do!

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Well at the scene she told the police officer she did it blah blah and the witness and I confirmed. He only gave her a warning because she was so upfront and he wanted the insurance to see that she got something for liability purposes.
That seems to be your problem right there. Why should she get a break if she ran into your car? Her break is your problem now...

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
fix the car now, deal with insurance later.
it needs to be fixed one way or the other.
I guess you should have fought more at the scene so that it was clear she was at fault.
"nice gals finish last"

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks.
I know better for next time. When ever I would try to inform the police officer something he would shoot me a look of you are wrong, but if it ever happens again I will not take it. It is so frustrating having to go through this

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
thanks.
I know better for next time. When ever I would try to inform the police officer something he would shoot me a look of you are wrong, but if it ever happens again I will not take it. It is so frustrating having to go through this
The accident report should include the statements (and names) of all parties, including the witnesses. If the police officer altered them in any way he was not doing his job properly. Do you have a copy of the accident report? If not, get one. Some states require that you file one yourself, regardless of whether a police officer filled one out at the scene. If you have the name of the witness, you can ask them for a sworn statement supporting your account...

·
Registered
232 Posts
Yep.. get the the statement from the police report and file that.

GEICO will ask that you take the car to one of their assessment location so they can get an estimate on the work. They will give you some low ball estimate and you just tell them you'll be taking it to your own shop for the repairs. Check out Auto Body Craftsmen (801 E Gude Rd) in Rockville. They do really good work. They fixed my Lotus when my sister backed into it. Others here in LT have used them as well. They'll give GEICO the real estimate for the body work and GEICO will send a rep to review it and stamp their approval.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am taking it to Criswell to get an estimate to submit to Geico. They finally were able to get in contact with the lady that hit me. I would do the other shop suggested here but I already talked to Criswell

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
I am taking it to Criswell to get an estimate to submit to Geico. They finally were able to get in contact with the lady that hit me. I would do the other shop suggested here but I already talked to Criswell
cant you take it to 2 places for an estimate?
i think i recall reading really bad things here about criswell for sales and service.
maybe i am wrong, others in your area can probobly confirm, but that name stands out with a bad association in my memory.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep.. get the the statement from the police report and file that.

GEICO will ask that you take the car to one of their assessment location so they can get an estimate on the work. They will give you some low ball estimate and you just tell them you'll be taking it to your own shop for the repairs. Check out Auto Body Craftsmen (801 E Gude Rd) in Rockville. They do really good work. They fixed my Lotus when my sister backed into it. Others here in LT have used them as well. They'll give GEICO the real estimate for the body work and GEICO will send a rep to review it and stamp their approval.
I think this is who I might use. I am bringing it in Monday to get an estimate. I was supposed to bring it tonight, but i need a tech inspection anyway so I am waiting on a sheet from the FAASST school. I might as well get it all done at once!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts