The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, i got my new 888's on and they are awesome, now i am trying to figure out why my car feels like it is swaying (swimming). I am not sure if maybe the previous owner monkeyed around with the suspension.

I have no experience with suspension adjusments, so im coming on here for some advice on how to get my car 'tight'. (btw, my car has track pack). I was reading the manual, and it gives the factory settings for camber, toe in, and ride height, but i have no idea about this stuff, i have no experience. I was searching on here, but i really got no where.

Where do i start?

·
He's on fire!
3,287 Posts
first go to a race shop and get your car corner weighted and aligned properly.

My car is, but even still on stock suspension with 8 front and 7 rear I've got a fair amount of wheel gap toward the inside of the curve.

TADTS

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
If you have the track pack, then your shocks are adjustable. You should search for track pack settings and adjust your shocks to the recommend street setting. They can be set by hand in your garage. That is the first place to start.

Alignment is worth doing. Corner weighting is less important for a road car.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you have the track pack, then your shocks are adjustable. You should search for track pack settings and adjust your shocks to the recommend street setting. They can be set by hand in your garage. That is the first place to start.

Alignment is worth doing. Corner weighting is less important for a road car.
Ok thanks. When i bought the car, i was told that there were 2 brand new oem shocks(track pack kind) installed in the front. Maybe the adjustments arent right.

I found the thread for factory settings which looks like the adjusment is 110 mm between the top spring collar and middle of the shock mounting bolt...So do i use a regular old ruler to measure this or is there some kinda special tool i need to mearsure it?

·
He's on fire!
3,287 Posts
adjusting ride height will affect alignment. If you have no experience with suspension adjustment, the only thing you should probably doing is changing the settings on the dials (from 1 to 10) For street driving, lotus recommend 3 in front, 2 in the rear. For the track its 8 front 7 rear.

Did the car do this before the new tires?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
adjusting ride height will affect alignment. If you have no experience with suspension adjustment, the only thing you should probably doing is changing the settings on the dials (from 1 to 10) For street driving, lotus recommend 3 in front, 2 in the rear. For the track its 8 front 7 rear.

Did the car do this before the new tires?
I just checked the ride height and all four shocks are 110 mm right on the nose, exact factory settings (street that is).

Yes, the car did this before the new tires. It almost feels like a broken shock. I had this same problem way back in the 80's with a nissan sentra, and it turned out to be a broken shock.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just took the car out for some spirited driving, and im fairly certain im wrong about a busted shock. I couldnt go \around the twisties that good if that was the case.

My car has 25k on it, and im just wondering if maybe i need to replace the steering rack because there is some play in the steering, and im thinking that play is what my problem is. I have no chunking going on, but a good bit of play in it.

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
Wait.

Was the car OK before the tire change?

If so, unless the shop broke something (unlikely, but not impossible), it's not the car.

Did you check the tire pressures? (If not, you will be mildly famous on another thread somewhere....).

Are the tires directional? If so, are they going in the right direction. (Don't test this by speeding in reverse.)

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
I found the thread for factory settings which looks like the adjusment is 110 mm between the top spring collar and middle of the shock mounting bolt...So do i use a regular old ruler to measure this or is there some kinda special tool i need to mearsure it?
Ride height is not measured that way on these cars. It's actually measured from certain spots on the chassis beam to the ground. As others have said, don't worry about the ride height / alignment right now...let a shop handle that.

Fix the shock settings yourself. If they do not have dials, then they are not track pack shocks. See the numbered dial below.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
My car has 25k on it, and im just wondering if maybe i need to replace the steering rack because there is some play in the steering, and im thinking that play is what my problem is. I have no chunking going on, but a good bit of play in it.
Try tightening the U-joints in the steering column; you can see one in the footwell. Sometimes that is what causes the play.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Check your toe links to ensure they're tight...

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I just checked the ride height and all four shocks are 110 mm right on the nose, exact factory settings (street that is).
This would be fine if all corners of the car weighed the same and street was perfectly level all the time. The great thing about having adjustable suspensions is the ability for corner balancing. Try looking up local shops that can corner balance and align your car correctly. you'd need a rack and scales to do these things properly. Camber, caster, toe and bumpsteer are very fine and would be impossible to measure with a ruler.

for all I know it could be a shock issue but my 2 cents.

Alignment guy close to me will align the car with me in it to account for driver weight and ensure proper geometry.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I checked the tire pressure, fronts are 26 psi, rears 29 psi.

I took the car back out for a spin, and had another person with me, and let them drive it too, to get their feedback. Even going like 5 mph you can feel the 'wrongness' in the car, and so did my passenger. going slow with very slow gradual turning of the steering wheel left to right you can really notice the play or late response in the steering. Its almost like your trying to play catch up with the car. I dont particulary think anymore the cars suspension is off (although i am not ruling anything out), i really beleive it is in the steering.

Tomorrow im gonna check the u joints as someone mentioned.

·
Registered
26 Posts
From what you describe it sounds very much like a worn steering rack.

When the car is parked up on level ground, can you turn the wheel more than a few degrees without the road wheels moving? Is there play from one side to the other?

Try jacking the car up and putting the steering on full lock, and give the front wheels a wiggle - there should be no play whatsoever.

Whilst you have the jack handy check it's not the toe links - you really gotta pay attention to these with 888's.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Brand new tires have a swimmy feel to them, until they wear a little. Your car is on centimeter tall rubber stilts right now. The taller your tread, the more swim you will feel.

Your pressures seem a little low. try 28/30, or 30/30 f/b

·
Registered
26 Posts
Brand new tires have a swimmy feel to them, until they wear a little. Your car is on centimeter tall rubber stilts right now. The taller your tread, the more swim you will feel.

Your pressures seem a little low. try 28/30, or 30/30 f/b
My thoughts too but he said it was doing this before he had these tyres fitted.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My thoughts too but he said it was doing this before he had these tyres fitted.
Yea, that is true, it has done this before the new tires. I have went ahead and ordered a new steering rack from sector 111, im waiting on the shipment.

I am going to jack the front of the car up tomorrow and lock the steering and wiggle the tires and see what happens but im pretty sure it is the steering rack.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts