The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of days ago I tried to start my 2007 Exige S and it wouldn't turn over or even make a decent attempt. I thought my trickle charger had failed me, but the battery seems to be charged and all terminal connections are tight. Tried boosting from my Tacoma but no difference.

I am suspicious of the alarm system since I had the LF acess panel off to check the brake fluid a day or so earlier, and of course, a limit switch ties the panel into the alarm system. Can't imagine how that would do it, and it may be coincidence. Have tried reprogramming the remotes but that doesn't help.

I disable the alarm system, turn on the ignition, push the button but all I get are blinking idiot lights and the clicking of relays.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A friend who is an M-B mechanic came over with his battery tester, and it did test as shot. Surprising, since it (Exide) has had an awfully easy life and gave no warning. He also said jump-starting might not work. If I were to pull out the old battery and connect my Tacoma battery thru jumper cables directly to the Exige's cables, should it start? The owner's manual says that the car won't behave "normally" until the computer has "readjusted" to the new battery. I wonder what that means.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
Replace the old, stock battery with a new fresh one. No way to know how long it sat on the lot before you bought it.

Then go from there.

Not hard to install and not very expensive.

That's what I did. Worked great.

Best of luck. :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Larry and TheViper (Among Others) Were Right

Just to put Finis to the story I moved the (2 years older) battery from my Elise over to the Exige S and it started just dandy. I left it there and the Elise got a new Optima Red Top.

One of the Exige's fobs apparently did go bad on me just to confuse things, but I had a spare (5 fobs for 2 cars) so all is now well.

Next time I'll apply Occam's Razor and save a lot of trouble.

Thanks All---

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've gotta add one last post on this topic I started, even though I feel like an idiot.

Synopsis: One day 2007 Exige S wouldn't start, even though being kept on a trickle charger; switched over OEM battery from my 2005 Elise and it was OK; bought Optima for Elise; one day Exige S wouldn't start (again); bought another Optima for Exige S; today Exige S wouldn't start (again).

This time I checked the trickle charger with my voltmeter and found it was putting out 2.2 volts. That was the problem all along, the trickle was out, not in. The other 2 batteries murdered by the trickle charger were well-used and unrevivable. The Optima seems to be taking a charge and maybe will survive, although I doubt I did it any good.

Lesson: cheap trickle chargers don't necessarily "fail-safe". Beware!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts