The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If you guys have not seen my thread about my fun visit in Belgium, take some time to look and comment. Great Lotus dealer owned by Thierry!:up: Well worth the time.
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/must-see-lotus-dream-vacation-pics-70318/

On to Hethel!:D Thought I would make a good day of the trip by also visiting University of Cambridge which is about halfway between London and Norfolk (Norwich, Hethel...same place as far as I can tell). Cambridge celebrating 800 years of education?:eek: Holy cow!
IMG_3954 - Copy.JPG

IMG_3958 - Copy.JPG

IMG_3959 - Copy.JPG

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Beautiful drive into the British countryside

The first sign we might be close
IMG_3962.JPG

A cool cottage along the way
IMG_3963.JPG

You sure there is a car factory out here?-poke-
IMG_3964.JPG

Just past the cows on the right side of the road, take a left.:D
IMG_3965.JPG

The extended driveway toward the factory
IMG_3966.JPG

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good place to go get a bite...Bird in Hand Pub

Back out toward the cows and take a left...
IMG_3974.JPG

IMG_3975.JPG

IMG_3978.JPG

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Signs of something more!

:nanner::nanner::nanner::nanner::nanner::nanner::nanner: IMG_3970.JPG

IMG_3980.JPG

IMG_3981.JPG

Now, unfortunately these are the ONLY pics you will see of the factory itself.:( Seems that some "bloke" took the liberty of publishing something that should not have been seen and for that we all must suffer.:thwack:

The building in the second pic are offices and immediately behind that is the Lotus Sport building and the 2.2 mile Hethel test track. Looking out toward the track I could see a couple 2-Eleven's and a couple Evora's as well. The assembly facility is directly left of that building. What I saw was nothing short of heaven. A couple new 2-Eleven's as you walk in. Walking through there are MANY Teslas in production. I saw 3 Evora's being wrapped up as part of the 20+ "press cars" to be made.

A number of the Cup 265 cars. A beautiful Europa. Asking away about many things...the subframe (seen neatly stacked), the paint booth, degreasing of the clams (sounds like a movie). The kids are able to hold parts in their hands that look heavy (Elise door hinge with door re-enforcement) and the parts are amazingly lightweight. If only I could have taken pics...

BUT!!!!!!!:cool:

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After the factory tour, Richard, our tour guide (Richard Parramint [[email protected]] takes me over and introduces me to the head of Lotus Sport. Any questions I have concerning race set up, technology, etc...I can call or e-mail him direct.;) Richard talks to Caroline, Editor of the Lotus Club International Magazine...she would like to talk to me about doing something for the magazine (details to come) :D.

Richard has something extraordinary planned for us. He says that Clive Chapman (Colin Chapman's son) is over at Team Lotus. He offers to take us over to introduce us and take a look around.:eek:
IMG_3969.JPG

We park right behind the new Lotus transporter and enter the building through a simple green door.

On the other side of that door is where the fun of our visit to Hethel really begins. Richard walks through and introduces us to the first person we meet...Clive Chapman.
IMG_3982_edited-1.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What's that car behind Clive and the kids?

IMG_3986.JPG

IMG_4058.JPG

That is the Type 79...Circa 1978
1st - World Driver's Championship - Mario Andretti
1st - World Manufacturer's Championship (seventh title for Lotus)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qlIOawfAylA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qlIOawfAylA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

This was THAT car!
IMG_3990.JPG
IMG_4061.JPG
IMG_4062.JPG

*Unfortunately, Ronnie Peterson...Mario's teammate... died at Monza earlier in that season after going 1st and 2nd the previous race.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Into the next room sits perhaps the most important Lotus of all

The Type 25...Circa 1963
Driver: Jim Clark
IMG_4008.JPG

IMG_4067.JPG

IMG_4000.JPG

IMG_3996.JPG

1st - World Driver's Championship - Jim Clark
1st - World Manufacturer's Championship (first title)
Jim Clark & Team Lotus came 2nd in the Indianapolis 500 at their first attempt in the race

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To the right of the Type 25 is a Lotus Eleven found to be a mess in a barn. With no real racing history behind it, it was decided the car would make a good candidate for restoration.
IMG_4005.JPG

IMG_4006.JPG

To the left was a one off car...Sammy picks up the original Lotus badge from inside the car and says, "cool".;)
IMG_3992.JPG
IMG_4010.JPG

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And off to the left...

Circa1972/Driver:Emerson Fittipaldi
1st - World Driver's Championship
1st - World Manufacturer's Championship (fifth title for Lotus)
IMG_4069.JPG

IMG_4013.JPG

IMG_4015.JPG

IMG_4016.JPG
Fittipaldi achieved Formula One success at a very young age - he was just 25 when he won his first title in 1972, the youngest ever champion until Fernando Alonso in 2005.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And I thought the pedals were too close in the '05 Elise?

Take a look at this. This is what Emerson had to deal with!:huh:
IMG_4073.JPG

IMG_4074.JPG

IMG_4071.JPG

IMG_4070.JPG

IMG_4077.JPG

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
More Fittipaldi...
IMG_4019.JPG

IMG_4021.JPG

Heck, even the small scale cars go for quite a bit!
IMG_4032.JPG

How cool is it to see a model of an F1 car...while sitting next to the nose cone of one!:crazyeyes
IMG_4035.JPG
IMG_4037.JPG

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
It looks like you're having the time of your life! Thanks for sharing the pics.
Yet another reason why I love these cars-the way we share our enthusiasm for them!

Tom

·
Registered
215 Posts
Very Cool I am jealous as well but only for a little while longer. My wife and I are planning a trip to the UK in May/June and are planning a visit to the factory. How did you get in contact with the people needed to make it happen? As I understand it the tours only happen on Wednesday and their web site says to check to tee if they are doing the tour on the day that you want to visit. I tried the link on the site and it did not work. I haven't tried calling yet still have almost 2 months till we leave.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts