The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I joined up with the Chicago VW club today for my first ever AutoX event. I am officially addicted now. I had a blast! There were some really cool cars there and all the people were pretty friendly. One of the guys even helped me unload my Elise off my trailer.

My Elise is the first sporty/fast car that I've ever owned, therefore I am very inexperienced when it comes to fast/technical driving. After the drivers meeting, I walked the course with 2 other guys that I had just met (one of them very experienced and the other was a noob like me). I thought I had a good idea of the good lines through everything but when I lined up for the first run... I forgot everything! I ran the first lap at about 75% speed just to get the feel for how this car handles around tight hairpin turns and to learn the track.

To make a long story short, I ended up taking 3rd place! I would have been completely content simply by not coming in last. There were probably like 40+ cars competing and I held up pretty good against most of them. Most of the other guys are probably way better drivers than me... but I had the unfair (but awesome) advantage of being in a Lotus.

A Civic hatch had the best time of the day @ 38 seconds.

Here was my last and fastest run of the day...

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
The old saying, slow is fast, and fast is slow, worked to your advantage.

·
Premium Member
2,972 Posts
Not crazy about the course design. The curb in the runoff for one of the lefthanders caught my attention, but the post in the runoff for the righthander was even more disconcerting.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Pooter, You met my girlfriend. She was there in my Elise checking out the autox for me. I'm on deployment in Afganistan and will be back in July. I'm really pumped about trying one of these events. She says I will be completely hooked like you are now.

She sent me a good pic of your car on the course.

What tires you running and what kind of air pressure did you use.

I'm running R888's and have the VF2 and a bunch of upgrades but I have always been a street racer prior to moving to the Chicago area. I come from farm land with lots of great roads and little to no traffic so I am clueless about the area and any good roads. Some of the guy from the local Lotus club gave me a list of roads to check out so I have lots of things to look forward to when I get home.

Great finish btw and it sounded like a complete blast!!!

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not crazy about the course design. The curb in the runoff for one of the lefthanders caught my attention, but the post in the runoff for the righthander was even more disconcerting.
There is actually a decieving amount of runoff space all around the course. Also, the pole in the middle was never a worry unless you took that hairpin turn at some ridiculous angle and at 100mph. There were a few guys that spun out there but nobody ever came even close to it.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pooter, You met my girlfriend. She was there in my Elise checking out the autox for me. I'm on deployment in Afganistan and will be back in July. I'm really pumped about trying one of these events. She says I will be completely hooked like you are now.

She sent me a good pic of your car on the course.

What tires you running and what kind of air pressure did you use.

I'm running R888's and have the VF2 and a bunch of upgrades but I have always been a street racer prior to moving to the Chicago area. I come from farm land with lots of great roads and little to no traffic so I am clueless about the area and any good roads. Some of the guy from the local Lotus club gave me a list of roads to check out so I have lots of things to look forward to when I get home.

Great finish btw and it sounded like a complete blast!!!
I am also using toyo r888's. I had them somewhere around 33psi. Honestly, I have no idea what the optimal pressure is for autox.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I usually have mine at F21/R24 psi when I am driving hard just to get them to heat up and stick.

Seems you did really well though so keep doing what your doing

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Hahaha, I hear Kim gave you a ride in my little dragon.

Warning its a slippery slope and very hard on your wallet.

BUT COMPLETELY WORTH IT!!!!!

Congrates again on your finish!

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Indeed, I did get a ride. Your car puts mine to shame. I looked under the hood and saw that you have the Radium catch cans and fuel rail. That stuff looks top notch.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Well thank you for the complement, I have worked hard to get it that way and have done all the work myself.

Yes the Radium stuff is top notch, I have their surge tank, fuel rail and catch cans. I just ordered their coolant expantion tank since my car runs hot.

When you get their stuff, order their wrenches, that way the connections dont end up looking like mine.

I'm looking forward to the autox's when I get home. Just 2 more months woohoo!!!

Darrin

·
Registered
668 Posts

rotfl funny,... when i replied to POOTER's thread... well my auto spell took POOTER and spelled it "POORER" :) i corrected it right away. i can only imagine how many more things i will want after i do these track days. my wallet will just be thinner.. or my Credit cards fatter.. which ever way you see it :(

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hey congrats on your finish! You're hooked like I got hooked last year!

I have a general SCCA Solo question. Last year I ran super stock (SS). What are you allowed to do to your car when you run SS? Are you subject to the rules governing stock? Lets say you get the ECU tuned but nothing else, does that mean you need to run ST now?

Basically I took the cat out of my car and retuned the ECU. I also pulled the camber shims (even the last one). I want to run on street tires for simplicity, but I do have slicks I can use (old and heat cycled out, but better than nothing). To remove a cat, you need to run street prepared, which I wouldn't be as competitive in, so I may put it back in if need be.

Thoughts from you more experienced Solo guys??

Keith

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
05 Elise Freak,

A re-flashed ECU takes you out of stock class.
2012 SCCA rule book, stock class, page 78.
Rule 13.9 Electrical system.
D. No changes are permitted to electronic engine management systems
or their programming.

Removed catalytic converter takes you out of stock
Removing the shim which holds the connection for the anti-lock brakes moves you out of stock.
But you can be like me and say screw it, and get set up for SSM

·
Registered
280 Posts
I wish, but I don't have the money to put together a SSM car. I understand I can't compete in stock, but where do I move to? ST? So would it be SST? I'm trying to figure out what letters I need to buy for my car this year and how to be most competitive. I REALLY don't want to put the cat back on, it sounds so good! I just know that SSM is way out of my league with a more-or-less stock car :(

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
05 Elise Freak,
I absolutely agree about the SSM statement. The STX STU classes expressly prohibit the Elise, so they are not an option nationally; but some clubs flex on this rule. Right now my car is on the low end of SSM. The SSM class PAX adjustment assumes you are running superwide slicks (far wider than easilly available wheels), maximum supercharger (400ish hp), full blown tricked-out suspension... etc. The PAX time correction typically makes my PAX placement about 6 (sometimes more) places lower than my raw time placement. Things that moved me to SSM: front splitter (for cone protection), non-factory supercharger, flashed ECU, de-cat, headers, non-stock rear toe links, baffled fuel tank, and some might argue gPan2 oil pan. But until I develop the skill to max out my car's performance, I fully accept my well-deserved lower placement. I am going to say something offensive now (cover your ears if you are easilly offended), but an SSM prepped car demands more of the driver (you are handling transistions in a shorter amount of time), than a stock car. You have to scrub more speed before the turn, be more aware of the torque to the back wheels, etc.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts