The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The local Corvette club sponsored a car show at my workplace today (in DC). There were about 20 cars -- more than half were Corvettes, but there was a Boxster S, an old MGA, a Chevy SSR, a Miata, and a few other assorted cars. Brought my Elise. When I pulled up, the head of the Corvette club announced he'd saved a spot near the front for me, cause "I've really wanted to see this thing."

Tho there were some other cars getting attention, the Elise was clearly a (the?) crowd favorite. I had people taking pics, calling their friends on cell phones to tell them about it, asking to sit in it (yes, I let them!), and just plain ogling. In fact, at one point, the head of the Corvette club spotted the large crowd around the Elise, and told me, "I have some drool rags for you, if you need them."

Most people were shocked when I told them the MSRP. They were guessing $65 -100K. A co-worker said "it must be in the 3 figures."

At the end of the day, one of the other owners (not sure which car) thanked me for bringing the Elise. He summed it up well -- "all the Corvettes look the same -- this is unique."

All in all, quite an ego-boosting day. I DO love the attention! :D

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
A vette guy came up to me today. He couldn't understand how the car could be capable yet have only a dinky four cylinder engine. He thought the trunk was too small, the gas tank was too small and the interior was "stripped" and that he'd buy one "loaded". When I mentioned that it's also hard to get in and out of he suggested that I simply tilt the wheel out of the way. Sigh. He was astonished at the size of the front tires. Like the guy next to me in a ZO6 at the recent Aberdeen auto-x. I took a stab or two trying to get across some of the Lotus philosophy but it didn't seem to sink in. I think part of this is because there aren't any other cars that really compare directly with the Elise in the way it accomplishes it's goals. I mean it weighs something like 1000 pounds less than a Porsche for example. Maybe things like this make it hard for people to get at first. I think I'd partially convince the guy had we time for a test drive.

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
Stan said:
A vette guy came up to me today. He couldn't understand how the car could be capable yet have only a dinky four cylinder engine. He thought the trunk was too small, the gas tank was too small and the interior was "stripped" and that he'd buy one "loaded". When I mentioned that it's also hard to get in and out of he suggested that I simply tilt the wheel out of the way. Sigh. He was astonished at the size of the front tires. Like the guy next to me in a ZO6 at the recent Aberdeen auto-x. I took a stab or two trying to get across some of the Lotus philosophy but it didn't seem to sink in.
There are those that were taught in the church of the big hammer... if it doesn't work find/build a BIGGER HAMMER!!! And, if that fails find/build an EVEN BIGGGGGGGER HAMMER!!!

The sign on the Big Hammer church reads...
"House of Corvette/Viper"
Saint Ball-Peen
Lord Rip
Deacon Sledge
Brother Mallet
and Father Claw
:D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts