The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just some impressions after my first test drive of a chrome orange demo with touring pack.

1. I just went to my dealer to talk about when I am getting my car, and I was given the option of taking their demo out. I had some wide, floppy sandals on. However, the pedal spacing was pretty good, and even some heel-toe was possible. So if you have wide feet, get some narrow shoes (like Puma replicats) and you'll be ok.

2. Not overly bumpy or stiff even on NJ roads. Definite push (understeer) when hastened in a long sweeping turn. Hope the sport package dials some of this out.

3. Chrome orange looked very good (my 2nd choice), but I am still glad that I went with saffron.

4. I thought that my stock MR2 turbo was pretty sporty. Around 2 minutes after getting out of the Elise, I was in my MR2, and it felt like a slow wallowing beast. The Elise is that tight, and that quick.

Another in a long line of opinions............

Cale

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
good for you! :clap: Consider yourself one of the lucky few who have DRIVEN a demo car, let alone seen one.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was supposedly #5 at my dealer, but I am still waiting. He has delivered some sport packages, and they were all ahead of me on the list. There was a silver sport/touring awaiting delivery out in the parking lot.

Just one more note. The hotter cam came on at approx. 6200, and came on in a big way. Really surprising. Did not have much of chance to play in that RPM range. But what a sound change and what a punch.

·
Registered
182 Posts
LOD (FOD) test drive

Drove it today! It is a great pleasure to drive the Arctic Silver Elise with the Stage 2 exhaust. The exhaust note is pleasing to the ears. Did not get above 5000 rpm on the quick loop route despite an invitation to take this Elise to 7000 rpm (too much traffic). Handling is superb! I want to do more!

My dress shoes are no problem in the pedal box. My size (6 feet and 15 stone) is no problem in the cabin; I can even wear my Panama hat with the soft top in place!

Visibility is much less than I am accustomed to in Jettas. Cargo capacity for weekend trips is light. Hats off to the folks in Europe and the UK that make do with one auto! Must keep Jetta running.

Attachments

·
Registered
963 Posts
ojars, go with the Bordeaux Red Pearl
Touring Package sans Hardtop
Biscuit!!!!!

·
Registered
182 Posts
BRP at LOD

LOD (FOD) does have a BRP with Biscuit on the sales floor at a slight premium. Looks great in person!

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I got to test drive our dealers demo car 2 weeks ago. Actually I was kind of underwhelmed with the revs over 6200. I was surprised by the torque in the low rev band, it pulls very well. The demo car was red/biscuit and no LSS. The front sway bar is too soft for me, kind of slow turn in for an Elise. The brakes I did not like at all, they were very spongy. I think there must be air in some of these delivered cars. I don't remeber think about the crakes in the S190 so they must have been good. The demo cars brakes were uncomfortable as braking response did not match my input. I just need to wait a couple more weeks for mine to arrive (supposed to be at port today) then it will be time for some test, test , test during the breakin.

·
Registered
818 Posts
i have only sat in one. never driven. and i dont want to untill my car gets here. hopefully by the 15th of oct.

·
Registered
182 Posts
the order is taken!!!

tidalwdave,

I have received the phone call from Mike at LOD on
Thursday last week.

The decisions are:

Storm Titanium
Touring - Biscuit
Factory Star Shield
sans hard top

Arrival is pegged for Spring 2005.

Was #53 or so on the list. :clap:

·
Registered
41 Posts
In my experience if you are concerned with speeding up the turn in, you might want to go to slight toe out in the front as that will make the direction change much quicker in most cars, albeit at a slight sacrifice in stability. Increasing sway bar firmness at the front only, will result in more understeer, which may not be what you want.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Cale said:
Just some impressions ....

2. Not overly bumpy or stiff even on NJ roads. Definite push (understeer) when hastened in a long sweeping turn. Hope the sport package dials some of this out.
Definite push (understeer)

Glad to see someone else noticed this. If others have I apologize but I haven't seen too many people mentioning it.
I was thinking that you wouldn't be able to induce understeer too much at least on normal roads.
I was told that the sport package does dial most of this out.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
The base package apparently has some understeer depending on the corner and technique but for some reason professionals have been noting less than others. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts