The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings!

I'm a new Lotus driver, haven't had it very long. I've so far just been driving around town, waiting to get out on some real open road.

Next weekend I am planing a 8 hour roadtrip up the California coast (and 8 back). I'm wondering about anything I might need, but not think about with a normal car. I have read comments that earplugs are a must for long drives (I never would have thought of this). Are there any other little tips for a Lotus newb?

·
Registered
765 Posts
Last year I took the same trip, 8 hours up PCH from LA to Guerneville, then back a few days later. Didn't need anything special beyond some good road tunes. Enjoy!

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Off hand the only thing I can think of is a small air-compressor and tire plugs. In a good 7 years, never had a flat with the Elise but w/o a spare it’s good peace of mind. Enjoy, this trip will be as much about the journey as the destination.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks a lot for the comments. I really didn't think about how bad a flat would be! I'll pick up said items, and I can't wait for the drive:).

·
Such Administrating
6,854 Posts
Depending on your age, maybe a small airline pillow for your back.
I've tried to find a decent one, but all the ones i've found are a too big and make me sit too far forward. I need to find a good really small one.

A hat if you'll have the top off.

Glen
Good thought, don't want a sunburnt head!

Off hand the only thing I can think of is a small air-compressor and tire plugs. In a good 7 years, never had a flat with the Elise but w/o a spare it’s good peace of mind. Enjoy, this trip will be as much about the journey as the destination.
This is actually a good idea. I think I'm gonna but a really small compressor and figure out a way to mount it in the back with a tire plug kit attached to it.

OP I wouldn't worry about ear plugs. Maybe its just me, but I love the exhaust sound and its not loud enough to bother me.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I know what you need, a massage therapist as your passenger.

That's only a half joke, you'll see what i mean.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I've tried to find a decent one, but all the ones i've found are a too big and make me sit too far forward. I need to find a good really small one.
Agreed - you have to find a really small one. I stole one from United a few months back after an International flight. It works pretty well when needed.

·
Registered
2011 Evora, Persian Blue, 6-speed
550 Posts
On all my intra-city drives I prefer ear-bud headphones and listening to internet radio on a smartphone.

If you have passenger then get a splitter or maybe you have an aftermarket stereo to use earplugs ;)

·
Registered
954 Posts
I was going to recommend the air compressor as well.

This is actually a good idea. I think I'm gonna but a really small compressor and figure out a way to mount it in; the back with a tire plug kit attached to it.
I keep essentials in my trunk in place with a few squares of velcro. I've never had anything shift while driving.

Also, the air compressor fits perfectly into the space behind the battery, between the battery and the rear of the car. My cheapie compressor came in a small bag that'll easily stash a few other essentials (i.e. wheel key, small tire pressure gauge, patch kit).

Make sure to bring a cell phone charger as well. Depending on which part of the coast you want to drive, you won't have reception, and it'll drain your battery. Likewise, you won't have any radio reception, so bring tunes if you want 'em.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
list of things that could be helpful:
-a small pillow for your tush. I found that out 4 hours into my first road trip, and the last 8 were cake due to it.
-Also depending on how you drive, you may want to wear pants. I wore shorts and it felt very uncomfortable when my calf rested on the shifter console for long periods.
-Sunglasses for direct sunlight
-comfortable, flexible shoes
-radar detector
-ability to ignore drivers trying to goad you into testing your cars limit

·
Registered
623 Posts
This is actually a good idea. I think I'm gonna but a really small compressor and figure out a way to mount it in the back with a tire plug kit attached to it.
I got a very small "Slime 12V top-off tire inflator" from PEP Boys. It's slow and has a funky screw-on-the-valve nozzle (that actually worked really well the one time I've used it on all four tires so far), but it's very compact and light and has a built-in LED flashlight.

I thought the gauge would be really inaccurate, so I bought at $50 gauge from Long Acre Racing. When I checked one tire a week or two after using the inflator I found the pressure was spot on. Either the inflator gauge reads low and the pressure's gone down since inflating the tire, or more likely the built-in gauge is actually quite accurate and I wasted $50 for the fancy gauge.

http://www.pepboys.com/product/details/166847/

ImageUploadedByAG Free1352552554.112785.jpg

Oh! One last thing. The inflator was $10!

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com Free App

·
Such Administrating
6,854 Posts
I got a very small "Slime 12V top-off tire inflator" from PEP Boys. It's slow and has a funky screw-on-the-valve nozzle (that actually worked really well the one time I've used it on all four tires so far), but it's very compact and light and has a built-in LED flashlight.

I thought the gauge would be really inaccurate, so I bought at $50 gauge from Long Acre Racing. When I checked one tire a week or two after using the inflator I found the pressure was spot on. Either the inflator gauge reads low and the pressure's gone down since inflating the tire, or more likely the built-in gauge is actually quite accurate and I wasted $50 for the fancy gauge.

Slime 12V Top-Off Tire Inflator | Product Details | Pep Boys

View attachment 195394

Plug in through the cigarette lighter?

·
Registered
297 Posts

I've got that exact same device. Picked it up at Target. And I think it was $10 there too. Figured it would work in a pinch and it has been just fine. Noisy little bugger but dang good for the price. And tiny! I have used it to add air at autocross days and I've been very happy with it. But it *is* quite slow, not that this is a problem unless the staging lines move really fast at a particular event.

To answer someone's follow up question, yes it is powered from the "cigarette lighter."

1 - 20 of 21 Posts