The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is all I could handle this evening with the washing and bug removal. Not perfect, but close enough.
Vinyl is from Sweetdaddydelicious. (I hate typing that name) Keith has been very helpful and has answered all my questions. The tough part is yet to come! More pics as I progress....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Hi John,
Looks good. I've been thinking about the stripes too, also from Keith, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

I'll watch your progress with interest.

Good Luck!! :clap:

Regards,
Wayne

BTW, SweetDaddyDelicious is a mouthful!!! :)

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
They only get easier. lol. I think the 2 hardest pieces are the one by the plate area you have not tacked yet, and the one over the back. All the others aren't that bad, and the roof is a cake walk. The felt squeegee is a big help too. and until it is squeegeed down hard you can peel it up and rework it as many times as you need.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here she is so far. This is a b!tch! Layed down the left stripe by myself, but when sitting back and admiring my work I realized it was 1/4" off! I have no idea how I managed that. Ripped it off. This was done with a friend helping. Thanks for the extra vinyl SDD!
FYI-if you take off the louvers over the radiater it makes the job easier, but you must chamfer the leading edges of the mating tabs that join the left and right louvers together in order to get it back together.

·
Registered
115 Posts
That looks really sharp! :up:

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Wooo hooo! Looks great John!
So did you have enough? I usually try to include a decent amount of extra material. Everyone attempting it for the first time is going to mess up one section before mastering it. How did you like that felt Squeegee?

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
:up: AWESOME JOB! I've been meaning to attempt this myself as I can't find anyone to install the stripes I bought.

Any way we could get you to post a how-to? -poke- :D

·
Registered
536 Posts
Looking good. I take it you don't starshield on?

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi folks,

I would have to say, that as a first time vinyl installer, I couldn't have picked a more difficult car to do it on! If the dealer had offered a reasonable price (not $700) I would have had them do it. But, for about $100 for the vinyl from Sweet Daddy I figured what the hell, if I screw it up I'm out $100. I haven't attempted the back of the car yet. I can only imagine how fun that will be. I may have to resort to painting as this looks REALLY difficult.
Sweet Daddy - you gave me a ton of vinyl, if I don't have enough I'll have only myself to blame. The felt squeegee works great!

Patience, patience, patience. That is the key. You can't rush this. No way.

Working with this material is interesting. It is VERY thin, which works both for and against you. Do not attempt on a windy day! Being thin helps it work around bends (to some degree), but several times while gently squeegeeing out wrinkles it would suddenly form a crease rather than lay flat. Some creases are still in so it won't pass a close up inspection, but not noticeable from a distance. Another advantage of the thinness is a patch can be completely unnoticeable. Probably not in the middle of a flat section, but I screwed up and trimmed the vinyl too short to wrap around the back angled edge of the upper panel. The part that's near the center of the car. I simply layed a patch over it and if I didn't tell you it was there you would never know it.
When doing the upper panel on the passenger side I had an odd occurance. The vinyl went on perfect - no bubbles or creases. I laid it on the back hatch so it would be in the sun. After a while I retreaved it and there were a whole buch of bubbles (I posted this earlier) WTF? I went across the street for an hour or so (high school grad party) and when I came back they were gone! Relief!
Soapy water is your friend. Well, mostly. Works great on the larger, flatter expanses, but gets frustrating when you're heating-stretching around curves and it won't stick because it's wet. Again, patience. Let it sit and come back later. Heed SDD's advice - spray the top of the vinyl, too. Makes for much better squeegeeing and reduced likelyhood of a crease.
Backing up - the first step is laying down a strip of masking tape as a guide. This was deceptively tricky! Your mind wants you to place it parallel with the raised body portion going down the center, but I wanted them parallel to the center line. I ended up snapping a chalk line down the center and measuring off that. Still, laying the tape down straight is tough. Go out and try it sometime. Basically you have to lower the hand holding the loose end in a perfectly vertical motion. No shaking allowed! I found that a faster motion works better than going slow. If you miss your mark peel it up and try again.
All for now. I'll attempt to lay more vinyl as soon as I muster up some courage!

P.S. Starshield is on. Went right over it. Also, don't try to form the vinyl into the crease just aft of the nose. Slit it and patch with pin stripes. And if you pull the louvers over the radiator do yourself a favor and chamfer the leading edges of the tabs that lock the two pieces together. And get a T handle allen wrench. The screws holding down the louvers go into Timmerman's and are very tight - kind of a pain with just your basic right angled wrench.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Today's progress

Working alone today I could not tackle this with one piece. Actually, I suggest you don't.
I laid the top piece down first, then the front piece. This way the edge of the front piece wraps up and onto the radius and the seem is literally invisible.
The bottom of the front had some wrinkles that would lay down, but wouldn't stick. Mr. hair dryer took care of that.
Mistakes:
The front piece could have been a bit longer. You can see a sliver of yellow at the bottom.
I can't cut a straight line to save my life, so I had to add some pin stripe around the plate area to cover up my sloppiness.
Trimmed the back of the top piece too soon and it moved slightly exposing a bit of yellow. I covered it with a scrap piece, but because the edge is facing you it can be seen. Not when the grill is on, though.
Tips:
-If possible raise the car. Working at ground level makes it that much harder.
-Do top first, front next, pin stripes last.
-Use a scalpel blade instead of an exacto. They are much sharper.
-Apply pin striping around plate area before putting the front on.
-Be patient.

All those marks on the upper stripe are bugs, not knicks!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The front is done! Yippee!

The last front piece took about 1 hour and 3 tries. I cut the top a lttle shorter than I wanted, then, do to my idiocy, I kept forgetting about that and kept trimming the front short. Yes, I am an idiot! My hat goes off to those that do this for a living.

Edit: Sweet Daddy supplied the material. Can't wait to start on the top and back!

Attachments

·
Long-term Lotus Fanatic
989 Posts
Looking good John! The next time I'm up that way, I'll have to stop by for a look.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The top is done

These were easy.
Tip: Before peeling vinyl off backing spritz it first. Helps cut down the static cling.
Don't spritz the pin stripes.
Now the fun begins....

Attachments

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ARedElise05 said:
John:

Once you're done striping your car, will you stripe mine? :)
Rey,

I'll let you know after I do the hatch and back of the car. I may not have any sanity left after that!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts