The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well... don't I feel like an idiot. What a horrible weekend.

First of all, a flat battery negates a drive impossible, so I charge up the battery and connect it up last night. But what do I do this morning? That's right... forget to actually bolt it back down tight. :no:

Hence I go for a drive, not realize the battery is slamming around in the boot, and by the time I get back, my left turn signal is buzzing extra fast. It would you see... after the blinker connection has been near smashed off by the battery slamming against it, and each other blinker is getting such a current spike.

Nevertheless, I disconnect the battery, pop the left blinker and brake light out, reconnect their bulbs and carefully put them back together. I connect the battery to test them out... eureka - both work beautifully. Then... things got interesting.

Off my battery terminals are two smaller wires, with a connected plug. I've never known what this is, and never bothered to really find out. It heads into the engine bay and goes godonlyknowswhere. All I knew was, the loose battery had pulled the plug out, and I had to reconnect it. One comes off the positive (red, obviously) and the other comes off the negative (black) and they go into the plug. The other side of the plug has a green and orange trace, and a black wire opposite it. I figure black goes to black, so plug it in that way.

Reinstall the battery, kick the car over and there seems to be a problem. Now, the brake lights are permanently on. Shut it off, and they're still on. Must be that plug.

I reach around for that plug, pull it out, turn it around so that the black battery side would be connected to the green and orange trace, and plug it back together. Turn on the car. Bingo bango bongo. Perfect. Brakes are now out. Silly me, now grabs the plug again to make sure it's pushed together snug, while the car is still running. And what seems to happen? The edge of the wire in the plug seems to short against my finger, burning me, and setting fire rushing down the wires' side that heads into the engine bay. I panic, quickly shut the car off and fan out the glowing redness with a rag, trying to fight off all the smoke.

I disconnect the battery quicksmart, and assess the damage. It's the black that's gone up. I follow it into the engine bay and trace it as far as I can go until it meets the firewall. The green and orange seems fine until there, but the black seems to keep going.

My question now is... what the hell do I do?! What are these wires for? Why would they affect the brake lights?

My only options seem to be, ditch whatever they are. Or keep tracing the wire to re-join it halfway and run a new one the rest of the way. Or run a completely new one after I've found out where that actually runs, fresh from one side to the other.

All in all. I'm an idiot. And had a terrible weekend. :crazyeyes:shrug::panic::thwack::wallbang:

Attachments

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Well... don't I feel like an idiot. What a horrible weekend.

First of all, a flat battery negates a drive impossible, so I charge up the battery and connect it up last night. But what do I do this morning? That's right... forget to actually bolt it back down tight. :no:

Hence I go for a drive, not realize the battery is slamming around in the boot, and by the time I get back, my left turn signal is buzzing extra fast. It would you see... after the blinker connection has been near smashed off by the battery slamming against it, and each other blinker is getting such a current spike.

Nevertheless, I disconnect the battery, pop the left blinker and brake light out, reconnect their bulbs and carefully put them back together. I connect the battery to test them out... eureka - both work beautifully. Then... things got interesting.

Off my battery terminals are two smaller wires, with a connected plug. I've never known what this is, and never bothered to really find out. It heads into the engine bay and goes godonlyknowswhere. All I knew was, the loose battery had pulled the plug out, and I had to reconnect it. One comes off the positive (red, obviously) and the other comes off the negative (black) and they go into the plug. The other side of the plug has a green and orange trace, and a black wire opposite it. I figure black goes to black, so plug it in that way.

Reinstall the battery, kick the car over and there seems to be a problem. Now, the brake lights are permanently on. Shut it off, and they're still on. Must be that plug.

I reach around for that plug, pull it out, turn it around so that the black battery side would be connected to the green and orange trace, and plug it back together. Turn on the car. Bingo bango bongo. Perfect. Brakes are now out. Silly me, now grabs the plug again to make sure it's pushed together snug, while the car is still running. And what seems to happen? The edge of the wire in the plug seems to short against my finger, burning me, and setting fire rushing down the wires' side that heads into the engine bay. I panic, quickly shut the car off and fan out the glowing redness with a rag, trying to fight off all the smoke.

I disconnect the battery quicksmart, and assess the damage. It's the black that's gone up. I follow it into the engine bay and trace it as far as I can go until it meets the firewall. The green and orange seems fine until there, but the black seems to keep going.

My question now is... what the hell do I do?! What are these wires for? Why would they affect the brake lights?

My only options seem to be, ditch whatever they are. Or keep tracing the wire to re-join it halfway and run a new one the rest of the way. Or run a completely new one after I've found out where that actually runs, fresh from one side to the other.

All in all. I'm an idiot. And had a terrible weekend. :crazyeyes:shrug::panic::thwack::wallbang:
I am sure that was a scarey moment. Those additional wires you describe are not standard, they have been added. You seem to have joined the live wire to a ground wire which is what caused the problem, and also illustrates why all circuits should be fused. I am guessing that the damage to the rear lights caused the problem with the brake lights, rather than these additional wires. Leaving the new wires disconnected, you need to see if anything is not working, especially non standard equipment. You then need to check all the rear brake connections to make sure they are OK.
Michael

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks guys, wish I acted sooner to stop it travelling so far. My instincts told me to immediately snub out the fire instead of killing power.

So, what do you think they could be SirLotus? I was thinking 'possibly' alarm. But all other cars I see with them appear to have battery minders installed. I certainly don't have one, and as said, it travels all the way to the main harness at the firewall there. It's an 07 Exige S with all the bells and whistles if it makes a difference. It would also make sense in that, I'm not sure if you can tell from the photo... but the white to black plug connection isn't even an actual match. It doesn't fit 'properly'.

I think it's possible they stopped the rear lights from working. If I remember, I connected the battery without the plug together and they worked ok. Plugged the plug and the brake lights stayed on. As soon as I unplugged it, they went out. When I plugged it in the other way, they stayed out too. Then shorted.

I'll have to check tomorrow whether, if I plug the battery in without those wires connected, everything works normally.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, I did a little searching about the fast buzzing blinkers (obviously I know mine was because those connections had been knocked out), and it appears that it can be a common problem even when everything seems OK (with missing LED's too) that a lot of dealers fixed with the addition of a certain piece of wiring between the blinker circuits. Could this be what that wiring is, and hence, why it seemed to turn the rear lights off when unplugged?

·
Registered
6,889 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hahahaha. In all honesty, that is the first thing that has actually made me laugh after a terrible weekend that extends far beyond the burnt Loti! :p
So thank you :)

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I did as suggested today. Took those wiring rings out, taped up the wires in the main harness there, connected the battery and presto... everything seems to work fine.
I tried everything I could. Lights, parkers, reverse, brakes, AC, heater, alarm etc. Everything bar the CD player as I didn't have one on me, but everything seems to work perfectly. Even took it for a 45 minute drive with no dramas. Odd. I do wonder what the hell they were!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts