1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
because racecar
540 Posts
I've had 20% on mine several years. Helps the AC situation

·
Registered
945 Posts
Damn, how did you drive with 4% at night? The last two cars I've bought had 10% and I had to peel it off both because I was always worried about taking out a pedestrian.

+1 for the slightly less crazy tint though. The Lotus has had 20% since I got it and I wouldn't drive without it. It really helps the interior heat situation, the gawky passers-by situation, and the every-headlight-is-at-eye-level situation as well.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
I can't get an inspection anymore with tint in NC so I gave up on it. Friggin cops need to lighten up! You see their cars all tinted on the highway.... Why?

The idea is officer safety - they don't want to walk up to a car without being able to clearly see the occupants. My Elise is at around 10%, and I just make sure to put the windows down when they walk up. So far, only one ticket and he was just made he couldn't get a reading on me in time, so he just wanted to get something.

I'd never go darker though. The daylight is fine but at night or during the rain it is pushing it

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Damn, how did you drive with 4% at night? The last two cars I've bought had 10% and I had to peel it off both because I was always worried about taking out a pedestrian.

+1 for the slightly less crazy tint though. The Lotus has had 20% since I got it and I wouldn't drive without it. It really helps the interior heat situation, the gawky passers-by situation, and the every-headlight-is-at-eye-level situation as well.
I had to open the side windows... It was ridiculous, but absolutely no heat came through those side windows in the summer. I had to have it removed, replaced with 35% tint, and bring the receipt to the court house to prove that the car was fixed.

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
The idea is officer safety - they don't want to walk up to a car without being able to clearly see the occupants. My Elise is at around 10%, and I just make sure to put the windows down when they walk up. So far, only one ticket and he was just made he couldn't get a reading on me in time, so he just wanted to get something.
While I understand this rationale, I've always thought it somewhat odd. I know that driving a car is considered a privilege, and not a right, but demanding to see who's inside while not being stopped for probable cause just kind of rubs. After all, many other vehicle characteristics can make it difficult to see clearly inside as well. Should we outlaw panel vans too?

Maybe a better law would say that cars with dark tint are required to roll down their windows immediately whenever being questioned by police.

Its a little like outlawing baggy clothes because it makes it easier to conceal a weapon...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts