The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started my project in Feb of 2012 and just completed it fully today, June 2012. While it's been a hugely fun project I'm very glad to have it complete as it was a lot of work. While I had help I managed the project and did most of the work (save for painting, floor, cabinet trim and tape/sand drywall). So far I've only found 2 things I would change, my bar is a bit too high (by only 3") and I should have added a ceiling fan. Other than that I couldn't be happier with how the project turned out. I live in a rather modest neighborhood and have a relatively small home (1500 sq/ft) so it makes it feel like I added an entirely new room to the house.

So here's before (I'd already ripped out some shelving - didn't get a proper before photo) and after.

Noteable features are:
- 2 PCs (one for internet use and one for TV/movies/video)
- Speakers for Sonos zone (PC can also feed Sonos)
- Air compressor built into cabinet with retracting hose
- Ceiling retractable power cord
- Professional done epoxy floor
- Craftsman stainless toolchest
- IKEA cabinets
- Custom framed art (Lotus prints by ZWhitaker)

before (Small).jpg

2012-06-10 19.41.20 (Small).jpg

2012-06-10 19.41.48 (Small).jpg

2012-06-10 19.42.53 (Small).jpg

2012-06-10 19.43.43 (Small).jpg

·
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would loved to have put in a lift but my space and budget couldnt make it work. While the fridge is small it will hold a case a beer, 8 waters and 16 gatorades. Certainly enough for me.

·
Super Moderator
6,571 Posts
Would loved to have put in a lift but my space and budget couldnt make it work. While the fridge is small it will hold a case a beer, 8 waters and 16 gatorades. Certainly enough for me.
As long as you're drinking the water and gatorade it should be fine if I visit.

San

·
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They're the Akurum line from IKEA. I did them in white with the Nexus black/brown fronts/trim. Did all the soft touch close stuff - and I love them. Install/assembly was easy, did it all myself alone (a bit tricky standing things up but not too bad). I love the way they look, they're actually nicer than my kitchen cabinets. My only worry is they will get dinged up given it is my garage - but with the level of finish I did I'm pretty gentle on stuff in there.

If you've never assembled anything from IKEA don't be scared, it's well documented and pretty intuitive. Personally I love the place.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Very nice. I never would have considered ikea, but it actually makes a lot sense. They look great too. Which floor covering did you use?

·
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not exactly sure the brand, it was done by a local company that does high end remodels. They did Frank Amoroso's garage before mine and he gave me the recommendation.

Colorado Space Solutoins

As for the cabinets they weren't my first thought either but in the end they were much cheaper. All the cabinets/trim you see here was roughly $2200 - anything else would have been at least double.

·
Back to the Future, again
6,155 Posts
Very nice use of the available space. I think I need to do something like that... but my water heater and washer/dryer are all in there... would have to seriously think up something to conceal them.

Is there any way to get rid of the reinforcing pole down the middle of the garage? That seriously detracts from some utility space there. Maybe it just reminds me of the old days when I had to park in a big carport with those poles everywhere.

Oh, forget the lift and stuff, put in a turntable for the car!

·
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is there any way to get rid of the reinforcing pole down the middle of the garage? That seriously detracts from some utility space there. Maybe it just reminds me of the old days when I had to park in a big carport with those poles everywhere.
That godd*&m pole is the bane of my house. Unfortunately no, no real way to remove it (without reengineering the house which clearly isn't an option). It's not so bad when I work on the Lotus - it's so small I have plenty of room. But when I work on my RS4 (or any full size sedan) it's a huge pain. I have to angle the car in and get it just right so the jack points aren't right under the seams in the concrete. Ugh, that f'in pole. The best I could do is wrap it with the neoprene covering which makes it prettier at least.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Very nice use of the available space. I think I need to do something like that... but my water heater and washer/dryer are all in there... would have to seriously think up something to conceal them.

Oh, forget the lift and stuff, put in a turntable for the car!
What reinforcing pole? I see a stripper pole! :coolnana::popcorn:

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Good job. I need to do some lighting similar to that.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Very Nice Job!

BTW, projects like this are never really "complete"!

Wishing you many joyful hours in the man cave...

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
I like :up:
I just wish I had that big of a garage to play with :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Hmmm.. And Boulder is just over the hill from here.

Looks Good

1 - 20 of 35 Posts