The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't think the last guy who owned the car EVER replaced the wiper blade and it just sits there rattling against the glass. (Or it will, when the car moves.) I had it wrapped in a couple of gloves so I don't scratch the glass, but that looks really stupid, so I wanted a solution.

I'm not sure how many of you out there have tried to replace your wipers only to realize that your car came with wiper blades with pins rather than with wiper blades which fit wiper ARMS with pins. The solution I've seen previously posted was to source new wiper RUBBER to slide into your existing blade. I'm not fond of that solution as the existing blade has a teeny slot in it for the rubber, which means I'm going to have to source period or crappy rubber repeatedly for a device that I never actually use.

So.. enter the Anco 48-08 Windshield Wiper Blade Adapter. Buy it on ebay or amazon and throw away the two screws and the plastic thingie. All you need is the pin. Compare the pin to your wiper blade, shove the dissimilar end of the pin into your shiny NARROW wal-mart wiper blade of choice, and voila you made a period wiper blade.

I actually got lucky and had the pin in an old kit for a previous car. So do search your garage first, as Anco used to toss these into every wiper package.

Notes:
1) Really. buy a narrow one. No I didn't measure how narrow. No wider than the RainX Weatherbeater. Don't get some sexy swoopy blade because it will be too "wide" at the pin and take up too much of the space on the pin, thus not giving you positive lock to the car with the other end of the pin. RainX Fusion, for example, does not work while RainX Weatherbeater does.
2) The car has a "receiver" tray that the wiper rests in. I'm not happy about how the Weatherbeater will go in naturally, but it looks fine once I stuff it in. So if you can find a lower profile narrow blade, do that.
3) You may have concerns with the vertical centering of the Weatherbeater. Maybe another blade is better.

Hope this helps.
Jason

·
S4s
697 Posts
Make sure the wiper blade does not have a plastic frame near the pin. My blade broke because the plastic isn't strong enough and should be metal.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
I just purchase the OEM replacement which is the rubber and the blade ready-to-go. It is about $35 Canadian.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
If you have the original wiper arm you can use a Trico refill # 17-260. You get two so you will have a spare. Takes a little fiddling with to assemble but it is a lot less expensive and the arm doesn't wear out so no problem just replacing the rubber.
David Teitelbaum

1 - 4 of 4 Posts