The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've had my car for less then 2 weeks and now my brand new car is wrecked. I was in the far left lane of a 3 lane street and this dumbass [email protected]%&* in the middle lane decides to make u turn right in front of me. He was less than 10 feet in front of me when he did this. I slammed on the brakes but it was too late.

I got out of the car ready to give this guy the beat down of a life time but cool heads prevail.

I said :

"WTF? were you thinking?" (very angry
tone)

he said " You were going fast"

I said " You f#cking made are u turn in front of me from the middle lane you idiot" (had to hold my self back from punching the guy)

When the police came out he continued to tell them I was going fast. They said "It doesn't matter how fast he went, you made a illegal turn in front of him"

I hope this idiot doesn't try to lie and say it was my fault.

I'm mad as hell and very very sad right now. Watch out my fellow Elisetalkers, lots of idiots out there.

Sorry Ara and Chris. I can't give you your tests drives.

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
Jeebus! That's terrible. I was afraid to scroll down to see the damage and was very relieved to see that it's not totalled, or at least I hope it isn't. It's situations like this where the insurance company is going to come down hard on that fool that give me warm and fuzzy feelings.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I feel queasy just reading this. and your car is optioned identically to mine... I hope there is a solution that gets you a repair or replacement at cost to him or his insurance.

Cade

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
transio said:
PS - how fast did you hit him? That looks like SIGNIFICANT damage!!!
I had just made a right turn on to that street. I guessing between 30-40 mph. At the point of impact I really don't know because I slammed on the brakes.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Hopefully the clam did it's job and absorbed the impact, pretty easy replacement in that case, doesn't make it better but still can be hopeful.

Sorry man.
Chris

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
We collective feel the PAIN :(

It appears to be body - clam, lights, grills, crash structure and no mechanical (radiator, suspension, brakes, oil coolers). You were fortunate!!! It could have been a LOT worse.

The police report bears out who's at fault.

Kiyoshi

·
Registered
495 Posts
Ouch. Sorry!

Posts from Euro guys have noted that head-on impacts don't usually damage the tub -- just the clam.

Might not be too bad. Here's hoping...

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
I don't think it looks too bad myself- obviously you'll need a new clam. What kind of car did you hit? I would have thought the damage would have been higher up the front towards the radiator outlets given that your nose was lowered under braking.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I'm very sorry this happened to you,but,it just goes to show what kind of people we drive with on the road every day:huh:

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
:(:(:(

I bet you the guy who made the U-turn didnt even see you, but is obviously afraid to admit it. Saying you were going to fast...what nerve. He thinks you were going to fast because he didnt see you. Friggin moron.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Guys for your support. I'm feeling a little distraught. I hope its just the clam. the pictures doesn't show it but the windshield is crack too.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Doood.. that sucks. I just can't peel my eyes off, counting each crack and scrape. I'd be bawling in the driveway, or in jail. Hard to say.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Ouch. Really sorry to hear about the accident. At least you are unhurt (ignoring the psychological pain) and your car seems to have withstood the impact pretty well.

I have driven 20 to 25 thousand miles a year for the past 15 years, and I believe that drivers have gotten much worse over the past few years. I see so many people going too fast for the congestion on the road or for the type of car that they are driving, changing lanes without regard to the cars around them, making left or right turns in front of oncoming traffic (I suppose they assume that the other driver will react to avoid hitting them), etc. Then there is the whole parking thing. I have to believe that too many people are in too much of a hurry and don't pay attention to what they are doing when they get into a car.

Obviously, making a U-turn from a center lane is illegal and stupid, so you should be ok, provided that the moron has insurance. Good thing that you got a police report. Good luck getting your car repaired. Let us know how it goes and how long it takes.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Did your bags pop? Just curious cause this would give you an idea as to what kind of damage might have been done internally...if they didn't because the impact wasn't severe enough you might only need a new shell. It'll look brand new (again!)

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Oh no :( :( So sorry.

After some idiot smashed up the fiberglass on my old vette I wanted to kill ... then I felt sick and sad for days. But then I got my car back from the shop and things were like new.

So take heart ... sooner than you think you'll have the car back and whole then you'll feel 100% again.

If you hit at 30mph I'm amazed at how little damage there is visually. I'm crossing my fingers for you and hoping that it's just clam damage.

-doma

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
:( So sorry to hear this! Too bad the other driver won't step up and take responsibility, it's lame to be trying to blame you when he's clearly at fault here. We all make mistakes, it's how we handle those mistakes that defines our character.

Stories like yours are a scary reminder that it doesn't matter how we drive, there are a lot of bad drivers out there that we just can't avoid.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts