The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard all the sound clips and seen every online video of all the aftermarket exhaust out there. I've come to the conclusion that none of them are what I want. They all sound pretty good screaming at 7000rpm at full throttle, but they all sound annoying at part throttle and/or below 5000 rpm (which is most of the time when you are on the street). Lets face it, 4 cylinders just doesn't sound that great until they are screaming for pain. Of course, I'm spoiled since my daily driver has one of the greatest sounding production V8s outside of a flat crank Ferrari V8... but I digress..

So, I think the perfect exhaust would be a dual-mode type exhaust with a spring loaded baffle like the FR500 Exhaust available for the mustang cobras and the OEM BMWs (I think)... That way, its quiet and not annoying when I'm just cruising along but can scream when I get on the throttle. I can probably find someone to fab me a custom system if I can find an off the shelf dual-mode muffler that I can fit in the Elise/Exige...

any ideas? anyone out there interested in making it a product?

·
Registered
664 Posts
Have one made up with a Magnaflow
MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust
Polished Stainless Steel Muffler 5x8x18
I have one on my car, quiet at idle and up to 4k rpm, no drone but when you stand on it it opens up big time. On the highway it is nice and quiet when not under load so one can actually have a conversation with the passanger

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nice! I happend to have magnaflows on my Cobra. The quality is excellent. do you have pics of your system? how much was it to have it made? is it the same size as stock so that someone can cut off the stock muffler and weld on the new muffler?

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wait...is that magnaflow dual mode? because the magnaflow system on my Cobra is pretty dang loud...

·
Registered
580 Posts
You'd have to roll something custom, and actuating the baffle is what's going to be tough. Electric cutouts and the like just don't take the heat and abuse in my experience. The only way to go is with a pressure actuated valve. Easiest off the shelf thing to use is a turbo wastegate.

The problem is in actuating such a valve on a NA engine (cake if you go turbo/blower). Ferrari uses a fairly intricate air pump and tank setup to switch the baffles on the 355-up. Another challenge will be the precious little space the Elise has for exhaust fabrication. It's hard to fit anything complex in there and not start cooking things.

Another option would be using a small electric air compressor to keep the tank full. The small sort used for air horns might be something to look at.

I built something like this for my rally car as I was always getting hassled by the popo. Huge muffler and quiet as a mouse in vacuum. Under boost, straight downpipe dump. :eek::panic:

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't want anything overly complex... spring actuated seems to work well oem for 'vetts, bmws etc

1 - 8 of 8 Posts