The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

Premium Member
That why Lotus added the thermostatic sandwich plate. On start up with cold engine, the wast majority of the oil is returned to the engine and only a small amount is fed out through the oil coolers. When oil temp rises the thermostat closes the bypass and feeds the oil through the cooler/coolers. It is still a poor system and oil never seems to get hot enough, and that鈥檚 exactly why I went with a rear mounted oil cooler and 200 degree thermostatic sandwich plate. 馃憤馃榾

Registered
@DrHess:

You said "2ZZ's in Toyota vehicles don't seem to have these issues. It is not uncommon to find vehicles on CL with >200K miles on the original motor. As we know, Toyota put them in Celicas, Corollas and the Matrix/Pontiac Vibe. You don't see people complaining about wiped cams in those vehicles."

I believe I read, on this forum, that the automatic transmissions in Celicas (for example) ensure that the driver never gets to the high revs necessary for the cam switchover. If this rumor is true, then comparing Elises to Celicas may be apples-to-oranges.

Anyone know for sure?

Premium Member
2005 Elise LSS Saffron Yellow
I believe I read, on this forum, that the automatic transmissions in Celicas (for example) ensure that the driver never gets to the high revs necessary for the cam switchover. If this rumor is true, then comparing Elises to Celicas may be apples-to-oranges.
I know a guy with an automatic in his Corolla XRS. Will ask. I'd be surprised if Toyota didn't program the transmission shift points to take advantage of the engine. That said, I'd guess you have to have the pedal more than 90% down or something similar to get the second cam.

It's worth noting also that even in the USA something like half of all 2ZZ-GE powered Toyotas have the manual transmission - Even in the Matrix/Vibe. The engine was a hardcore performance option and buyer choices reflect that.

Registered
I test drove a 2ZZ 'Rolla XRS once, 6 speed. I got on the 2nd cam on the onramp. It was "familiar." I think the owner was about to soil his britches. The car was totally beat to pooty, 2,3,4 syncros gone, holes in the dash for missing gauges, etc. I told him what it was worth to me in that condition and got "Well, I have an offer of XXXX for it." I said "I suggest you take it." I passed.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts