The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been asked by a few people to document some of this and start up a "build" thread. I figure it's a good opportunity to relay any information that I learn along the process. Meanwhile getting feedback from people who've been through it before.

As some of you may know, I'm scrapping a rev400+ build and going with the Honda setup. I kind of debated this a lot in my mind and ultimately I think this is the best route for me. I know it doesn't make much sense in a lot of ways...but I think I'll be setup with a better platform to work with in the long run.

I don't have the time, resources, or probably the experience to tackle this alone...so I sent it to a local shop that is pretty experienced in K-swap builds. And more specifically for track/race car purposes. They're local to me, really experienced, and communication thus far has been great. Finding the right shop was one of the reasons why I didn't initially go with the K-swap build, and opted for the "recipe" rev400 build. So I fully understand that this won't be a "budget" build and I'm likely paying a premium by sending it off to a boutique race car shop. The comfort for me lies in their experience and their proximity to me.

The specifics of the build will be to first build a NA track-oriented motor/trans. After riding this for a season, the long term plan is to go with a TVS 1320 setup with a conservative level of boost. This will likely match and/or exceed whatever power level I was getting from the rev400. The goal will be to keep the motor stock-ish and cheap, but to build up everything around the motor with quality parts. A replacement k24 is cheap right now, cheaper than 2zz's.

Anyways, I'll try to keep this first post updated with all of the parts going in. I can keep a running tally of cost...but that'll likely make me sick.

Motor

-K24a2 rbb3-
(supposedly has slightly larger valves and more flow)...when you get into the world of the k20/k24 motors...you can kind of lose your mind over all the different variations. Not all k24's are the same and some are more desirable. Especially the US-Spec ones vs the J-Spec ones. Anyways, I just trusted them on their judgement. The K20a2 is arguable a better motor to go with...less low end torque and more top end (very similar to a 2zz). But they're getting harder to find and more pricey. The K24 fits my needs on being a cheap motor to source and replace if needed.
-Moroso Oil Pan- Similar to our baffled oil pans in the 2zz...we need one here. This is also higher capacity. If I get more serious, we may need a dry sump down the road, but that's big money.
-4 Piston Racing Oil Pump- Oil starve can be an issue at high rpms...this is basically a stock ported oil pump. Good for 9,000rpm+ and tested up to 11,000rpm. We'll be at 8,000.-
-RBC Intake Manifold- This is a OEM intake manifold, but the one everyone wants. The 06-11 Civic Si has these.
-Drag Cartel 2.2 Cams- The K24 inherently has some low/mid range torque...These cams help out at the top end and was advised to go this direction for otherwise stock internals.
-Supertech Valvetrain- Springs, retainers, seats, keepers, valve seals. Stock valves to remain.
-Engine Mounts- Innovative 75A Mounts...There's some other options out there, but timing was important.
-Engine Cooling Hose- GRP Hose set, think this was purchased through MWR
-Misc Refresh Parts- Belt Tensioner, Idler Pulley, Alternator.

TRANSMISSION/DRIVETRAIN

-Insane Shaft Axles-
Went with the 500HP, rating...heard some mixed reviews on it, but options are a little limited.
-ACT XT Clutch- Same spec to what I had in my Rev400 build. Pressure and everything felt fine.
-ACT Flywheel Streetlite- Was advised against the Fidanza option.
-Innovative Lotus Shift Mechanism Adapter- Not really sure, but I guess this goes on the transmission side...but when the time comes, we'll look into something to improve the shifting as much as possible. I was given some tips from another member on here.
Wavetrac LSD- Helical style...was advised to get this one because the shop had good experience with it. But ultimately I'm not really sure about our RWD vs the typical FWD application of these setups.
Donor Transmission- So this can really be any K series transmission. The most typical for these swaps would be the x2m5 (dc5) transmission out of a 02-04 RSX Type S. This has the 4.3 final drive. I am however going with a built close-ratio gearset.
MFactory Gearset- Close Ratio 1-6 + MFactory Final Drive 3.13 1st, 2.167 2nd, 1.647 3rd, 1.286 4th, 1.043 5th, 0.851 6th (Dual Syncro). 4.0 Helical Final Drive
Synchrotech Rebuild- At this point, might as well throw some more money at this and get the full rebuild kit...carbon lined syncros, bearings, seals, blah, blah blah.

I nearly considered just going with a sequential. But I still do like to street-drive the car...and maybe I can save that for a future project.

ECU/WIRING

-Haltech 1500-
Comes with all sensors, (oil pressure, temp, fuel pressure,etc.) Was told this was about all I needed for my purposes
-RYwire Milspec Harness- Supposedly a good harness
-Single Channel CAN O2 Wideband Controller kit- As it says
-Flex Fuel Sensor- Fittings and everything, we'll be tuning this with e85 and an in-line flex fuel sensor. I'm pretty excited about this.
-AiM MXG 1.2 Dash & Datalogger- Replacing my MX2E. I'll get a little more functionality out of this. Alternatively I could've gone with a Haltech Dash, which would integrate nicely with the ECU, but it wouldn't have the same features as the AiM unit.

PAYMENTS (I usually try to ignore this, cause it hurts to think about, but for educational purposes, I'll keep a running tally of costs. I'm also getting some money back on parts I'm selling off...but we'll ignore that. So my net cost isn't that horrible...but it's not great either)

Payment 1: $12,165.75 (Bulk of items, motor, donor trans, ecu etc.)
Payment 2: $6,000.00 (This was gearset and rebuild parts, cams and valvetrain)
Payment 3: $2800.00 (AiM MXG, bought it myself through Pegasus Auto Racing)
Payment 4: $2,625.97 (Mostly Labor, Engine removal, engine prep, vapor honing. Misc engine parts like chain guides, tensioner, etc...).

Running Total: $23,591.72

As a side note and to show that I'm not completely insane...my running total so far on parts sold off from the previous build is:

$15,085

So my net cost isn't that horrible.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Got her all prepped and loaded up to head to the shop. AAA Premier came in handy here...and I had to wait for a nice clear (albeit cold) day after a string of bad weather.

Car Tire Vehicle Wheel Automotive lighting

I was showing the guys at the shop the clam hinge and some of the little specifics/quirks of the car. They don't have too many Lotus cars come through there...but to date they've done several K20/24 swaps into other platforms. SW20 MR2, FD RX7, Mazda RX8, Miata, Honda Fit, BMW E30, etc...

Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They pulled the old engine/trans for me last week.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Car Motor vehicle

I had them break it down a bit so it'll be easier to transport and move around. Planning to sell off whatever I can that is still good. Most of the stuff has very little miles on it.

Automotive tire Light Motor vehicle Yellow Automotive design

A look at the engine bay with everything out.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Vehicle

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is that a V6 Cup or a V6 Cup-R sitting on the lift in the background?

Later,
Eldon
That would be a V6 cup. I already tried to make an offer, haha. But apparently the owner left it here with the shop years ago with the understanding that he'll be back after some business in India. And it's been over a year since the shop has heard from from him.

·
Registered
'10 Exige S260 Sport
698 Posts
Got her all prepped and loaded up to head to the shop. AAA Premier came in handy here...and I had to wait for a nice clear (albeit cold) day after a string of bad weather.

View attachment 1308614

I was showing the guys at the shop the clam hinge and some of the little specifics/quirks of the car. They don't have too many Lotus cars come through there...but to date they've done several K20/24 swaps into other platforms. SW20 MR2, FD RX7, Mazda RX8, Miata, Honda Fit, BMW E30, etc...

View attachment 1308619
I see an S3 V6 on the lift

·
Premium Member
2007 Elise
405 Posts
excited for this build - if it wasnt for needing to stay street legal here in Utah your K swap stage 1 (before super charger) would be my target - they can make good power NA, but alas, there are some hoops I would need to jump through first.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
excited for this build - if it wasnt for needing to stay street legal here in Utah your K swap stage 1 (before super charger) would be my target - they can make good power NA, but alas, there are some hoops I would need to jump through first.
Ya if I'm being completely honest with myself, the NA k24 build would be a pretty sweet place to be.

But I want to take advantage of the front mount hex the was installed and part of me has a hard time accepting less power after feeling what 325whp was like.

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
Ya if I'm being completely honest with myself, the NA k24 build would be a pretty sweet place to be.

But I want to take advantage of the front mount hex the was installed and part of me has a hard time accepting less power after feeling what 325whp was like.
I would just get one of these and be done with it😂, and then you can stay NA. K24-K360 2.5L Complete Engine - STREET PERFORMANCE

I have been doing a lot of looking and thinking lately, that engine, hooked up to a close ratio box, would be sweet.

Reactions: h20ham

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would just get one of these and be done with it😂, and then you can stay NA. K24-K360 2.5L Complete Engine - STREET PERFORMANCE

I have been doing a lot of looking and thinking lately, that engine, hooked up to a close ratio box, would be sweet.
I looked heavily into this...and it was actually on my mind last year when I eventually decided on the rev400 build. But they have a long lead time as they're built to order. And after blowing my 2zz, I've decided that I want the k24 to be cheap enough to not care if it goes.

However, I am going with a built close-ratio transmission. Not sequential though after weighing some of the positives/negatives.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm gonna have to switch out my aim mx2e, as it only works with the lotus ECU. I really liked the clean and oem look of that unit. This is the mxg dashlogger. It's a 7 inch model vs the mx2e which is 6 inch.

Handheld game console Video game console Font Gadget Technology

So I'm gonna try to hack up my oem binnnacle to fit as a cover over this mxg. It's just barely bigger than the binnnacle cover. But I think if I cut out access holes on the cover where the buttons are for the unit, then I can make it fit.

Automotive design Bumper Material property Automotive tire Font

Here's an example of someone doing what I'm thinking.

Car Vehicle Photograph Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Premium Member
2007 Elise
405 Posts
I'm gonna have to switch out my aim mx2e, as it only works with the lotus ECU. I really liked the clean and oem look of that unit. This is the mxg dashlogger. It's a 7 inch model vs the mx2e which is 6 inch.

So I'm gonna try to hack up my oem binnnacle to fit as a cover over this mxg. It's just barely bigger than the binnnacle cover. But I think if I cut out access holes on the cover where the buttons are for the unit, then I can make it fit.

Here's an example of someone doing what I'm thinking.
I’m excited to see how this turns out - the limitations of the lotus AIM unit almost turns me off to it - this could be a solid similar but different direction

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I’m excited to see how this turns out - the limitations of the lotus AIM unit almost turns me off to it - this could be a solid similar but different direction
Ya it really depends on what you're gonna try to log/record. The mx2e can only accept one 4 channel expansion...so you're limited to that. With the haltech, I'm gonna be sending a lot of the data like oil temp, fuel pressure, oil pressure etc through the can bus....so right off the bat I'm gonna have 4 channels open for stuff like brake pressure or even infrared tire temps. And beyond that, I can keep adding channels. This wasn't cheap though... Nearly $2800 after tax/shipping.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts