The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to post a thread mainly for people who are looking to do a Larini SE Style exhaust and the Euro grills. When I was getting ready to do this I looked for as many threads as I could find, but there weren't very many on the exhaust, especially on the installation side. So I've decided to post my thoughts on the installation and the exhaust in general.

Installation: This by no means is a simple bolt on exhaust that Sector111 makes it out to be. On both the exhaust page and the euro grill page, they state that everything bolts on in place of the stock parts. Technically that's not true. The grills are riveted into the license plate holder so you have to be prepared for that (I wasn't). But most importantly, the muffler requires massive amounts of cutting and moving of the heat shield to get the tips to go straight out the back through the euro grill. Sure the muffler does bolt onto the stock brackets and a new clamp is provided, but cutting the heat shield up was tricky and took a lot of time. It took even more time to get the tips to go straight and center through the grills. I had to constantly make little adjustments in the position of the muffler, then put the grill on, see if looks straight, take it back off, make another small adjustment, etc... I had to have another person help me because I couldn't hold the new muffler straight and push it into the cat pipe at the same time. I also needed the second set of hands to hold the license plate holder in place while I bolted it back on.

All in all, the installation took me almost 8 hours with a dinner break. Most of that time was just taking off and putting on the thousands of bolts (what seemed like thousands). I'm sure the more mechanically inclined Lotus owners can do it much quicker. I added a cold air intake, replaced my brake pads, and flushed my coolant the day before and my total time for all of that was only 2 hours. But 6 hours into the exhaust install I thought that it would be the death of me.

However, it was worth it. The exhaust sounds absolutely fantastic. As good as I would've hoped. It's definitely worth the $1000 that the parts cost. It's insanely loud and will turn heads anytime you get above 3k rpm. Just be prepared and patient with the installation!

(sorry for the rant, I think i was just disappointed that I wasn't better prepared for the level of difficulty. Everyone on the forums make it seem so easy!)

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I love my Larini Euro. I have no heat shielding so my installation was simplified. I took sandpaper to the muffler/pipe joint to make sure there were no burrs or carbon build up, then used high temp grease when I slipped it on. That made it much easier to align with the grills before I fully tightened it. The grease will harden up but doesn't seem to make it any more difficult to remove later.

It still took me hours the first time, mostly because the muffler kept getting stuck. Make a scribe mark across the joint before you ever take it apart. That will make it easy to re-align.

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
Thanks for the review. You confirmed my suspicions about what this job would be like.

Still, this remains on my wish list...

POST PICS!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I considered the Larini SE with the Euro tips but I'm not a fan of the panel delete / naked look for the rear. When I considered the expense of new rear panels, cutting the heat shielding, trying to align the tips (which many say is a big hassle), I decided to go with the Larini Sport with slash tips (diffuser exit). Install couldn't have been easier, didn't have to cut or modify anything, bolted right up and took about 45 minutes. Very happy with the look and sound, and can be easily restored to stock if desired. Highly recommend the Larini Sport, but it's a matter of personal preference on the look (and how much time and $'s you want to put into it).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts